PDA

View Full Version : Whatzit: Presbyterian Church edition.

Jim Bow
01-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Haven't been to church in a while. Never to a Presbyterian church.
A Christmas pageant featuring grandkids took me to one.
What are these 3 shotgun shell size holes for??
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/Jaesbow/20161215_181212_zpsrj2ukb7t.jpg

Ian McColgin
01-04-2017, 03:43 PM
For teatotal churches, they hold the little blessed grape juice shots.

bobbys
01-04-2017, 03:44 PM
The little cups for communion but who knows about Presbyterians.

BrianY
01-04-2017, 03:44 PM
A holder for shot glasses for communion wine/juice would be my guess. We had the same sort of things in the Congregational Church I grew up in. Unlike the Catholics wherer everyone walks up to the priest for communion, the Congregationalists pass around trays of small glasses filled with grape juice and everyone takes their own glass.

TomF
01-04-2017, 03:50 PM
United Church of my youth too. Dad always explained that the Welch's shots meant that folks struggling with alcohol could participate; I couldn't put it into words at the time, but I wondered about folks who struggled with the metaphor that God was like crap grape juice. I'd rather get addicted to the Divine, if I had to choose.

bobbys
01-04-2017, 03:57 PM
I suppose funerals are not very funny but I had not been in a Catholic Church for a long time.

I was used to taking communion in our seats together.

Well my sister passed and they had a Mass.

There was one Nun in the whole church, I went up , took the wafer and started back to my seat when the Nun exploded and yelled at me, Don't take that with You!.

My face went red while my brothers laughed and laughed.

I suppose my sister had a bit of a laugh as well..

There has to be a memo out there somewhere for nuns, Watch that Bob and get him.,.

I'm afraid as all get out of them.

Ian McColgin
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Blame the Methodists and their anti-alcohol teaching that led the very interesting preacher/dentist/physician Thomas Bramwell Welch to in 1869, Welch invent "Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine."

David G
01-04-2017, 04:03 PM
I had heard that in Southern Baptist denominations - those were for the shotgun shells... but I can't say for sure :rolleyes:

Bob Adams
01-04-2017, 05:24 PM
For teatotal churches, they hold the little blessed grape juice shots.

Yup. Exactly.

Tom Montgomery
01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
My grandfather Montgomery was born in Belfast and raised a Presbyterian. He also became a Mason as an adult.

I was baptized, confirmed and educated a Roman Catholic. About 10 years ago I went to the 1st Presbyterian Church in what is now downtown Louisville and set my eyes on my grandfather's signature in a church document. The thrill of finding a direct ancestor's signature was offset by the chill I got when I entered the church proper and got a good look st the stained glass windows. The church MILITANT was writ large in the leaded glass. And, knowing my Irish history, I knew that militant fervor was once directed at folks like me.

Garret
01-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I had heard that in Southern Baptist denominations - those were for the shotgun shells... but I can't say for sure :rolleyes:

Yep - for when you have to have one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZQaYKZMTI