PDA

View Full Version : Exxon buys themselves a Secretary of State

Norman Bernstein
01-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Exxon Mobil has awarded former CEO Rex Tillerson “a $180 million retirement package as the company moves to break financial ties with President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for secretary of state,” the Wall Street Journal (http://www.wsj.com/articles/exxon-mobil-cashes-out-ex-ceo-tillerson-ahead-of-confirmation-hearings-1483499557?mod=e2tw) reports.

“If Mr. Tillerson is confirmed, Exxon will transfer the equivalent value of two million unvested shares that he was set to receive at his previously expected retirement in March into a trust.”

A pretty cheap price, for getting your former CEO to become Secretary of State, where he'll be in a position to make all sorts of judgments that will accrue positively for the company.

What do you want to bet that Exxon's deal to drill in the Russian arctic, worth perhaps $500M, which had been put on hold by Obama as part of sanctions, suddenly gets lifted?

Duuuhhhh!!!!!

LeeG
01-04-2017, 03:14 PM
A pretty cheap price, for getting your former CEO to become Secretary of State, where he'll be in a position to make all sorts of judgments that will accrue positively for the company.

What do you want to bet that Exxon's deal to drill in the Russian arctic, worth perhaps $500M, which had been put on hold by Obama as part of sanctions, suddenly gets lifted?

Duuuhhhh!!!!!

Maybe. Just guessing more money will be made with Iran and Russia where the low fruit is hanging.

delecta
01-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Perhaps they should have picked a bum off the street, or a career politician, redundant I suppose.

What did you expect?

Norman Bernstein
01-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Perhaps they should have picked a bum off the street, or a career politician, redundant I suppose.

What did you expect?

Someone with diplomatic experience, perhaps? And without an obvious conflict of interest?

TomF
01-04-2017, 03:22 PM

What did you expect?Oh, I expected this. Romney and the other lads were just head-shake diversions.

skuthorp
01-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Follow the money, after all business is business.

delecta
01-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Someone with diplomatic experience, perhaps? And without an obvious conflict of interest?

So who do you think he should have chosen and remember to put your right wing hat on when making your choice.

Norman Bernstein
01-04-2017, 03:28 PM
So who do you think he should have chosen and remember to put your right wing hat on when making your choice.

I already told you: someone with diplomatic experience, and without an obvious conflict of interest.

But, then again, sensible criteria don't really apply to Trump appointees... for example, appointing someone who doesn't think climate change is real, to the EPA... someone who doesn't believe in public education, as Secretary of Education.... and so on. In short, appointees based on their politics, not their competency.

Canoeyawl
01-04-2017, 03:36 PM
The ship of state

https://iaincarstairs.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/condoleezzarice-ship-bow.jpg

delecta
01-04-2017, 03:36 PM
I already told you: someone with diplomatic experience, and without an obvious conflict of interest.

But, then again, sensible criteria don't really apply to Trump appointees... for example, appointing someone who doesn't think climate change is real, to the EPA... someone who doesn't believe in public education, as Secretary of Education.... and so on. In short, appointees based on their politics, not their competency.

So basically you're just going to complain about every choice and not actually offer a better option.

I would think the guy that ran EXXON/MOBIL has something going on and we've seen with the past two Secretaries of state, being a hack....oops I mean having experience is not in our best interest.

You keep on complaining, which I'd expect nothing less and I'm going to keep smiling. :)

TomF
01-04-2017, 03:38 PM
The ship of state

https://iaincarstairs.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/condoleezzarice-ship-bow.jpgBetter than the Exxon Valdez.

George Jung
01-04-2017, 03:40 PM
You're the only 'hack' in these parts. Being CEO of an oil company isn't much endorsement for SOS. And you know it. Quit being so obviously obtuse.

delecta
01-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Better than the Exxon Valdez.

So are you equating the Valdez with Clinton or Kerry?

TomF
01-04-2017, 03:48 PM
No, just hoping that the Valdez isn't a metaphor for the Ship of State under an Exxon alumnus. I'd prefer the Condi if I had to choose; +/- weevils & all that.

LeeG
01-04-2017, 04:48 PM
I think Delecta and other supporters of the Grabber are pleased with improved relation with Russian and Iranian oil interests. It may not sit well with Israel and Saudi Arabia but thems the breaks.

delecta
01-04-2017, 05:53 PM
I think Delecta and other supporters of the Grabber are pleased with improved relation with Russian and Iranian oil interests. It may not sit well with Israel and Saudi Arabia but thems the breaks.

I'm not a supporter, I'm just a happy poster here that finally has some redemption regarding how stupid, uninformed and lacking basic knowledge about anything political the left here is.

I'm still gloating, not that Trump was elected, just how wrong all of you were.

It will only last a day or two more...perhaps less. It really depends on how psycho the left here becomes, it might go on for years. :)

LeeG
01-04-2017, 05:57 PM
I'm not a supporter, I'm just a happy poster here that finally has some redemption regarding how stupid, uninformed and lacking basic knowledge about anything political the left here is.

I'm still gloating, not that Trump was elected, just how wrong all of you were.

It will only last a day or two more...perhaps less. It really depends on how psycho the left here becomes, it might go on for years. :)

Keep stroking that redemption

delecta
01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Keep stroking that redemption

Stroking, is all you got. Enjoy.