PDA

View Full Version : "Help Me Out, Brother!"

Donn
01-03-2017, 11:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtsrIpeMIkE

PatCassidy
01-03-2017, 11:27 AM
I particularly liked his straight line problem solving skills when he climbed on top of the dresser to get to the other side. Just another day in the life of toddler!

TomF
01-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Great stuff.

In our karate class, we've been trying to figure how to teach the fairly junior students about stances. That while we spend a lot of time training the nuances of stances ... in a real-life situation, they're transitory. They are the shape your body takes to most efficiently exert force in a particular direction; train the nuances well in the dojo, and your body will default to a stronger version of the necessary shape when the situation comes up.

A "zenkutsu-dachi" or front stance is the shape your body takes when you're projecting force forwards. Look at 1:51: a push with both feet fairly in line and close to the dresser isn't very effective - but in 1:52 the lad drops into a left-leg forwards right-leg back kinda sloppy zenkutsu, and the thing starts to shift. By 1:56, he's switched legs, and at the moment that he accidentally drops his rear heel down and aligns his joints for a really decent stance while dropping his body weight forwards ... it shifts clean off his brother. With less effort too.

Stances are transitory. That's a great example of what zenkutsu-dachi is supposed to do - maximise the ability of your body to express the force it is capable of generating, in a forward direction. Stances are also refined from our natural, default reactions - training it doesn't replace your natural reaction with something obscure, it increases the likelihood that your "flinch" will be as powerful as you'll actually need.

Great video, Donn - thanks for that. Brilliant reaction by the brother!

Ian McColgin
01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I was a "water baby". Mom had read of '30s vintage Soviet research in letting babies swim before they lost the gag reflex and beginning in Sept 1948 when I was a month old she started me in a warm bath tub. My muscular growth was amazing by normal standards, standard for water babies. By New Year's my ability to crawl and climb led to my scaling the fieldstone fireplace, crawling the mantle, and coming down the other side. While Mother beamed with pride, my grandmother and great aunt watched this in horror. Long before my first birthday I could escape from any crib and head outdoors, often to the lake where I'd happily go for a swim accompanied by my reluctant baby sitter, Mom's collie. Poor dog did not like water and, such a failure for a herding dog, could not direct or curtail me.

Anyway, my climbing and such overturned most everything - bureaus, lamps, book cases, et cetera - as Dad progressively screwed things firmly and struggled to stay ahead of my learning curve as to how to open things and get at sharp objects. In those days before professional child-proofing guidelines, he was on his own as to how to keep me from finding small metal objects to stick into electric outlets. My parents decided one water baby was more than enough and my brother and sister not only had a far safer environment but also were not so dangerous to self and others.

Long way around: Few children are as dangerously mobile as I was from an early age, but all children get there by two or three. There's little excuse for parents to be so ignorant of basic child safety as to have a bureau like that that's not bolted down. It's a funny video but . . . really?

Stiletto
01-03-2017, 10:44 PM
Where the hell are the parents? the (empty) drawers falling over would have made a lot of noise.

Donn
01-03-2017, 11:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the wired gizmo on top of the bureau was a baby monitor. If the parents were wise enough to install a baby monitor, they would have been wise enough to pay attention to it, and to anchor the furniture to the wall. Over 40 years ago, we bolted dressers and cribs to the wall. It was commonplace. My silly son climbed to the top of a highboy dresser, over 6 feet, by pulling out each drawer. When he got to the top, he went to sleep up there.

TomF
01-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Yeah. With a baby monitor and a camera system, the parents seen to have thought that actual supervision was redundant.

Rich Jones
01-04-2017, 10:01 AM
I saw an interview with the mother. This supposedly happened early in the morning and the parents were still asleep on another floor. Upon waking, she walked into the boys room to find the dresser on the floor and them playing quietly in the corner. She looked at the video to see what had happened. No mention of a baby monitor waking them up.
It's been a long time, but I don't remember bolting my kid's dressers to the wall.

John of Phoenix
01-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Took him awhile (after climbing ON the dresser) to push it off. Striking a deal perhaps?

"Ok Tommy, I'll get this thing off of you but I get first turn with Mom from here on. Deal?"