PDA

View Full Version : U.S. passport question

GregH
12-31-2016, 01:37 PM
My passport expires on March 16, 2018. SWMBO & I have signed on for a trip to Europe the runs from August 18 to 28, 2017. Seems to me that I've read/heard somewhere that passports are not valid within 6 months of expiration date. Is this true/accurate? If this is true, according my count using fingers & toes, I'm still good to go. Anyone know for certain??? Thanks

phiil
12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Certain countries will not admit you unless you have 6 months remaining on your passport. Go to travel.state.gov for more info.

skuthorp
12-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Huh, I applied for a new one a few months ago as mine was due to expire. After having had passports since I was 18 or so they decided, at 73, I needed to supply all the documentation again. After some argy bargy about what constituted a birth certificate then, and what constitutes one now the passport arrived, with my name spelt wrongly.
Start again they said. No you already have the info I said. More argy bargy, they agreed, but new passport with right name has not arrived yet.
It turns out that all the records are on paper, stored somewhere. And mine went back into storage....except that it hadn't quite got there yet.......
I await developments.

elf
12-31-2016, 03:25 PM
When I updated mine around the end of last year, it was said to take up to 6 months from the time you submitted the application for the new one to arrive. Mine only took around 3 months from application to arrival.

bob winter
12-31-2016, 03:28 PM
The passport renewal process in Canada has been greatly streamlined and you can actually do a renewal even though the passport has expired within a certain timeframe. The wife and I just renewed and it was a reasonably painless process and the new passports arrived about five weeks after the applications were submitted. I don't quite understand the six month rule.

Nicholas Carey
12-31-2016, 03:29 PM
When I updated mine around the end of last year, it was said to take up to 6 months from the time you submitted the application for the new one to arrive. Mine only took around 3 months from application to arrival.

You can get it expedited. Costs a bit more, IIRC, and it helps if you have travel documents (e.g., tickets) to show that you actually have need of the expedited service.

BrianW
12-31-2016, 04:15 PM
You can get it expedited. Costs a bit more, IIRC, and it helps if you have travel documents (e.g., tickets) to show that you actually have need of the expedited service.

Right. I had mine expedited and got it back within 2 weeks. When you apply, opt for the extra pages version. I doesn't cost anymore (IIRC) and I believe they no longer offer the option to add pages later.

nedL
12-31-2016, 04:16 PM
In addition to some countries not letting you in if you have less than 6 months on it (there is a formal list, ..Germany is on it), many airlines won't fly you if you have less than 6 months. The countries and airlines don't want to be in a situation if you get delayed and it expires. You can drive into Mexico up to the date of expiration, but airlines won't fly you there with less than 6 months.

CK 17
12-31-2016, 05:24 PM
If your near some major cities you can drive in and get same day service. I know Chicago is one of them.

George Jung
12-31-2016, 06:27 PM
Just renewed ours - for the same reason. Have to have 6 mo's left on it when you return home, as I recall. Website can tell you more.

Shang
12-31-2016, 06:32 PM
A lot of years ago my wife and I were preparing to travel to India to make films. In those days all passports had to be stamped in Washington DC, and took weeks or month to be issued. I complained to my father-in-law about the long waiting period but rules were rules...
My FIL, who worked for a very large industrial painting company, looked surprised, and said, "Do you think that large companies who send their guys overseas have to wait weeks and months for their passports? Ha! He made a phone call, and then turned back to me: "Be in New York by eight tomorrow to have your pictures taken, then take your passport applications to this man's office. If anyone asks, you are employees of US Steel."
The next day we were photographed, passports were made up, the passports were flown to Washington and stamped, then they were handed to us. Good to go in one day!
I miss my FIL.

katey
12-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Yikes. I renewed mine about three years ago, and I got it in less than two weeks.

Hugh Conway
12-31-2016, 09:44 PM
In addition to some countries not letting you in if you have less than 6 months on it (there is a formal list, ..Germany is on it), many airlines won't fly you if you have less than 6 months. The countries and airlines don't want to be in a situation if you get delayed and it expires. You can drive into Mexico up to the date of expiration, but airlines won't fly you there with less than 6 months. The airlines are often more vigilent because - I've been told - they are on the hook to send you back.

PatCassidy
12-31-2016, 09:57 PM

I paid a little extra to get a three week processing. I think I got in in less than 10 days.