Superb piloting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

Dave

Hwyl
12-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Love it.

amish rob
12-31-2016, 11:08 AM
That is unreal. They sound awesome in real life, too. That brrrrmmm sound is cool.

My Father in Law's favorite variant is the one with all the big guns that flies in a circle and makes everything inside that circle disappear.

I just bug out on all aircraft.

Peace,
Robert

Bob Adams
12-31-2016, 11:14 AM
For a time they were considering using the 130 as a COD. I love seeing the Blue Angels 130 "Fat Albert" joins the show.

Jim Bow
12-31-2016, 11:18 AM
What's a COD?

Paul Pless
12-31-2016, 11:24 AM
carrier onboard delivery

Breakaway
12-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks for posting, Dave!

They sound awesome in real life, too. That brrrrmmm sound is cool.

C-130s fly out of our local air base and I get to see them at low altitude quite a bit and I agree.

Kevin

amish rob
12-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Kevin,

We get the military jobs some, and the air attack fire fighting variant. The fire planes often scrape our roof, it seems, geez my eyeballs rattle sometimes.

Gosh, it's a cool noise.

Peace,
Robert

Jim Bow
12-31-2016, 11:34 AM
We get a mixture of C17 and C130, love them both. A C5 came in for the McChord open house. Low and slow over the house. The dogs went crazy.

Breakaway
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Kevin,

We get the military jobs some, and the air attack fire fighting variant. The fire planes often scrape our roof, it seems, geez my eyeballs rattle sometimes.

Gosh, it's a cool noise.

Peace,
Robert

One anecdote I experienced occurred the night TWA Flight 800 went down just offshore of here. Myself and three buddies, along with numerous other private boaters, headed out the inlet toward the crash site to try and find survivors. When we started out, we set our course to the glow of the ocean that was ablaze some miles distant. But then the flames went out.

Then a C130 flew up low, and from astern of us, and as it passed overhead, wagged its wings and dropped a flare. A minute later it dropped another flare. Then another. She brought us right in.

Kevin

amish rob
12-31-2016, 11:44 AM
One anecdote I experienced occurred the night TWA Flight 800 went down just offshore of here. Myself and three buddies, along with numerous other private boaters, headed out the inlet toward the crash site to try and find survivors. When we started out, we set our course to the glow of the ocean that was ablaze some miles distant. But then the flames went out.

Then a C130 flew up low, and from astern of us, and as it passed overhead, wagged its wings and dropped a flare. A minute later it dropped another flare. Then another. She brought us right in.

Kevin
Man. That is terrible, but awesome. Thanks for sharing that cool story. I can imagine how overwhelming it must have been. Sort of bittersweet beauty, eh?

Peace,
Robert

Breakaway
12-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Sort of bittersweet beauty, eh?

exactly

K

amish rob
12-31-2016, 11:54 AM
When Obama came out here to visit California, they flew right over our house in those Ospreys. Now THOSE things make a crazy racket and a whump whump on par with those big Chinook helicopters.

Peace,
Robert

paulf
12-31-2016, 11:56 AM
I landed in Khe Sanh in one, Before we could gather our gear off the air matting he had turned around and was gone!

SMARTINSEN
12-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Underneath the 798 it says "Look Ma...no hook."

carioca1232001
12-31-2016, 04:40 PM
I landed in Khe Sanh in one, Before we could gather our gear off the air matting he had turned around and was gone!

Countries are forever pushing the limit of strategic ops, depending on their particular set of contingencies and existing defence infrastructure, as with the C-130 landing on a carrier.

Some are faced with the need to operate heavy miltary transports in inhospitable, dusty, high altitude locations (16,600 ft ?) as on the Indo-China frontier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUprBZsdcI

Nicholas Scheuer
12-31-2016, 05:02 PM
One of my fav aircraft. The "whizzing" sound of the props and engines at cruise, with just a touch of turbine whine (i'm 2000 ft below) is mesmerizing.

CK 17
12-31-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks for posting, Dave!

C-130s fly out of our local air base and I get to see them at low altitude quite a bit and I agree.

Kevin

does that unit still wear skis in the winter? When I flew for business express we used to see them all the time. Schenectady I think it was. . .

eta: disregard, I see your on LI. There is another wing there in Suffolk that refuels those blackhawks. . .

carioca1232001
12-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Here is a C-17 Globemaster, which carries 3 x the C-130 payload, validating short field landing at the Eastern most part of the Indo-China frontier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWC0GKLu6ag

Heck, that beast stops ever so elegantly !

LeeG
12-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Countries are forever pushing the limit of strategic ops, depending on their particular set of contingencies and existing defence infrastructure, as with the C-130 landing on a carrier.

Some are faced with the need to operate heavy miltary transports in inhospitable, dusty, high altitude locations (16,600 ft ?) as on the Indo-China frontier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUprBZsdcI

Yikes, wouldn't want to have multiple landings there.

carioca1232001
12-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Am with you on this one ! However, there are flyers, on all sides, who revel in these high-adrenalin undertakings.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-31-2016, 07:25 PM
I thought "Globemaster" was the name for the C-124 piston engine Transport.

ccmanuals
12-31-2016, 07:31 PM
My brother was a crewmember on 130's during his AF career. Her is an excerpt from a post I made some time ago.

I just learned that my late brother was selected as a Distinguished Graduate for 2014 from the High School we all graduated from. Matt spent the majority of his AF career in Special Operations flying in 130's. He was one of "the guys" the AF turned to for many covert operations. During his career he was in Grenada, Panama (Urgent Fury), Desert Storm and Desert Sheild plus a bunch of missions that we still can't talk about today. Matt lost several good friends in Operation Eagle Claw in Iran in April 1980. He was supposed to be on that mission but came down with the flu. Someone was looking over him on that day. Also, Matt's crew was essential to taking out Iraqi radar the night we made the initial attack in Desert Storm.

If you are interested in reading the resume/accomplishments of one of America's Warriors you can read it here,

http://www.victorschools.org/files/4...pring%2014.pdf

carioca1232001
12-31-2016, 07:52 PM
If the former Globemaster established a good name for itself, it could pop up again, c.f., Chevy Impala (59) which continues till today equipped with new engine mods( EFI and the rest of it) |;)

Bob Adams
12-31-2016, 08:00 PM
I thought "Globemaster" was the name for the C-124 piston engine Transport.

M-D C17 if memory serves. Seems to me there was a Globemaster II also.

Edit:Sorry, somehow I missed post 19:o

Jim Bow
12-31-2016, 08:07 PM
And then, there was the C123, and Joe Jackson

http://amcmuseum.org/history/lieutenant-colonel-joe-jackson/

Iceboy
01-03-2017, 10:47 AM
The first USN pilot qualified in the c130 just passed away last month. Buz Dryfoose was also an Operation Deep Freeze pilot and an all around nice guy. I flew on several ski equipped 130s back in the day. A real rush is taking off with jato assist.

CK 17
01-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Early in my career, I flew with a captain from Rutland, vt. His name was Ron Hebert.

His AF career started in B-50s flying early electronic missions along the iron curtain. He then checked out in the C-130. He had some flights testing the Fulton extraction system, gunships, weather and ending with skis in the artic.

I flew Dhc-6s as his FO based in Rutland. He must be deep into his eighties by now. A good guy. I learned a great deal from him.