PDA

View Full Version : Huskies/'Bama

ron ll
12-28-2016, 11:16 AM
The Dawgs are the underdawgs. It might be ugly for us Washingtonians. What do you think?

Paul Pless
12-28-2016, 11:24 AM
What do you think?I'm with Sky on this, Alabama has clearly played the weakest schedule of the four championship contenders. The Tide also plays in the lamest most overrated conference. Further, they've never faced a team with as fast and sophisticated offensive line as the Huskies.

lol

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 11:25 AM
I think Washington is easily the best team Bama has faced all year. Bama has not faced any team with this kind of team speed on either side of the ball. Neither have they faced a team as well-coached as Washington, nor have they faced a QB this good. I don't see Hurts running wild on this D nor throwing deep against Washington's excellent corners. I think Bama will ultimately wear Washington down in the 4th quarter for a close win. I don't see blowout here.

leikec
12-28-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm very impressed with the way the Minnesota defense shut down the Cougar offense. Surprising things happen in Bowl games, and even a great team like Alabama can be beat.

Jeff C

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Paul sounds a little nervous. :) The "laughter" isn't really coming through. I called Washington as back early this year, and I was right. I am also right about Washington's young offensive line.

ron ll
12-28-2016, 11:35 AM
I think Jake Browning (Husky QB) can be easily intimidated. I think a lot will depend on how his first three downs go.

Paul Pless
12-28-2016, 11:36 AM
:D

It's just a football game right?
Paul sounds a little nervous. :) The "laughter" isn't really coming through. I called Washington as back early this year, and I was right. I am also right about Washington's young offensive line.

David G
12-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Yanno... we've had this discussion. I think 16 points is too small a spread. At the same time - it's football... anything can happen, and the Huskies have all the tools to pull off an upset if everything breaks the right way.

leikec
12-28-2016, 11:39 AM
I think Jake Browning (Husky QB) can be easily intimidated. I think a lot will depend on how his first three downs go.

I think the Washington receivers can get open against that Bama secondary, but Browning has to get that ball out in a hurry. Easy to say, hard to execute.

Jeff C

Sky Blue
Regarding schedules, let us have a look at this ranking and consider who has played who, and where they stack up at the end of the year. By this measure, Alabama's schedule doesn't stack up at all, especially when considering Ohio State's brutal schedule, and yes, that of Washington. Look at the teams each has played, and where those teams stack up on the ranking.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/college-football-playoff

C. Ross
Daughter senior attends UDub, and I've had fun following them the last few years. I'd take Washington and the points (-14) if I was in Vegas. I wouldn't bet on a win.

(I really enjoyed watching Minnesota shut down Washington State.)

paulf
12-28-2016, 11:46 AM
My Daughter teaches there, I went there....Heaven help the foes of Washington!

Heaven Help the Foes of Washington;
They're Trembling at the Feet
Of Mighty Washington,
The Boys Are There With Bells,
Their Fighting Blood Excels,
It's Harder to Push Them Over the Line
Than Pass the Dardanelles.

ron ll
12-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Of Mighty Washington,

The boys are there with bells?
You will be in the stands in a raccoon coat and waving a pennant? :)

paulf
12-28-2016, 12:00 PM
You will be in the stands in a raccoon coat and waving a pennant? :)

No but I'll listen on the radio in the shop.......Raccoon coat???... Forge welding ??

C. Ross
12-28-2016, 12:03 PM

Of Mighty Washington,

Excuse me gentlemen, but that's about the weirdest college fight song ever, and that's saying a lot.

ron ll
12-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Excuse me gentlemen, but that's about the weirdest college fight song ever, and that's saying a lot.

Boy howdy. I went there for a bit and I don't recall that. Is that part of "Bow Down to Washington?"

Paul Pless
12-28-2016, 12:19 PM

Weirder than the Hokies?

ron ll
12-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Yeah. 1915.

http://www.lib.washington.edu/music/specialcollections/bow-down-to-washington

Hmmmm. Written by Lester J. Wilson. Must have been the father of Ann and Nancy? (The Dawg and the Butterfly? :D )

oznabrag
12-28-2016, 12:22 PM
I miss Bobby.

I hope he had a Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas Hokiefan!

C. Ross
12-28-2016, 12:26 PM
Weirder than the Hokies?

I didn't know it. I googled it. I got this.

Both "Tech Triumph" and "VPI Victory March" seem like something no one has sung since about 1922.

Virginia Tech
"Tech Triumph"

Techmen, we're Techmen, with spirit true and faithful,
Backing up our team with hopes undying;
Techmen, Oh, Techmen, we're out to win today,
Showing "pep" and life with which we're trying;
V. P., old V. P. You know our hearts are with you,
In our luck which never seems to die;
Win or lose we'll greet you with a glad returning,
You're the pride of V. P. I.

Chorus:
Just watch our men so big and active,
Support the Orange and Maroon,
Let's go, Techs! We know our ends and backs are stronger,
With winning hopes, we fear defeat no longer,
To see our team plow through the line, boys,
Determined now to win or die;
So give a Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Rae, Ri, old V. P. I.

Fight men, Oh, fight men! we're going to be champions,
Adding to our list another vict'ry;
Football or baseball, the games in which we star,
They're the sports that made old V. P. famous.
Hold them, just hold them! Your know the corps' behind you,
Watching ev'ry movement that you make;
Winning games was nothing for our teams before us,
Keep the "rep" for V. P's. sake.

"VPI Victory March"

You have seen the Hoyas tumble,
You have made the Indians cry,
And you know the Army mule
Once took a kick at V. P. I.
Worthy teams from Lexington
Have fought with all their might;
But now it's time to show the world
That VPI can fight.

Interlude:
GO, TECH!
GO, TECH!
H! O! K! I! E! S!
HOKIES!

Chorus:
Clear the way, so that team from Tech
Can roll to Victory!
No foe can stand the test,
So fight your best, and we will do the rest.
Strength and speed keep you in the lead;
You'll never go astray.
Our banner high shall ever fly
For victory is ours today.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/fightsongslyrics/virginiatechfightsonglyrics.html

C. Ross
12-28-2016, 12:26 PM
I miss Bobby.

Seconded. Bobby is missed.

Paul Pless
12-28-2016, 12:28 PM
I miss Bobby.

Same here.

leikec
12-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Merry Christmas, Hokiefan!

Jeff C

bamamick
12-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Alabama has played the team that beat Washington, right? I think that team had some athletes, as well. I don't remember the exact score, but in that game Alabama wasn't challenged beyond the first quarter.

But I have been doing some reading on this and a couple of guys I know who do know a lot about this stuff say that Washington has the speed and size of an SEC team and the kind of quarterback that can give Alabama fits. I am calling it as a ten point win for Alabama because Coach Saban will try to make this as short a game as possible and I think we will run the ball more than people have seen us do.

When people say Alabama hasn't played anyone as good as Washington, do you honestly believe Washington has played anyone as good as Alabama? Seven of their wins were against some of the worst defenses on the planet. Their OOC schedule was totally non-challenging and I venture to say that they haven't met anyone like who they are about to meet on Saturday.

You also have to remember the old west traveling east thing, the fact that we play in the Georgia Dome all the time and many of our players are literally from Atlanta, as well as the fact that almost everyone on this Alabama team has been to multiple 'Final Fours' and are taught the way to handle this sort of thing from their first day on campus.

If the Crimson Tide do not take this thing seriously they can lose. If they fumble the ball away and play uninspired football and if Peterson can pull a few gems out of his trick bag then Alabama can lose, but I don't see why it will happen. It would be completely out of character for that to happen and I don't think it will. But if the Huskies win then I will wish them luck. They have a fine program and I like to see them relevant.

And please add my best wishes to my old buddy Bobby. Good luck to his Hokies this bowl season.

Mickey Lake

bamamick
12-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Regarding schedules, let us have a look at this ranking and consider who has played who, and where they stack up at the end of the year. By this measure, Alabama's schedule doesn't stack up at all, especially when considering Ohio State's brutal schedule, and yes, that of Washington. Look at the teams each has played, and where those teams stack up on the ranking.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fbs/college-football-playoff

Why don't you just look at the SoS in the rpi rankings? Last time I looked Bama was 7th, but Jeff Sagarin has them at 8th now, one spot behind the 'brutal schedule' of tOSU. Washington is 47th. I honest-to-goodness don't have a clue where you come up with the stuff you do.

Mickey Lake

David G
12-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Alabama has played the team that beat Washington, right? I think that team had some athletes, as well. I don't remember the exact score, but in that game Alabama wasn't challenged beyond the first quarter.

But I have been doing some reading on this and a couple of guys I know who do know a lot about this stuff say that Washington has the speed and size of an SEC team and the kind of quarterback that can give Alabama fits. I am calling it as a ten point win for Alabama because Coach Saban will try to make this as short a game as possible and I think we will run the ball more than people have seen us do.

When people say Alabama hasn't played anyone as good as Washington, do you honestly believe Washington has played anyone as good as Alabama? Seven of their wins were against some of the worst defenses on the planet. Their OOC schedule was totally non-challenging and I venture to say that they haven't met anyone like who they are about to meet on Saturday.

You also have to remember the old west traveling east thing, the fact that we play in the Georgia Dome all the time and many of our players are literally from Atlanta, as well as the fact that almost everyone on this Alabama team has been to multiple 'Final Fours' and are taught the way to handle this sort of thing from their first day on campus.

If the Crimson Tide do not take this thing seriously they can lose. If they fumble the ball away and play uninspired football and if Peterson can pull a few gems out of his trick bag then Alabama can lose, but I don't see why it will happen. It would be completely out of character for that to happen and I don't think it will. But if the Huskies win then I will wish them luck. They have a fine program and I like to see them relevant.

And please add my best wishes to my old buddy Bobby. Good luck to his Hokies this bowl season.

Mickey Lake

That bolded part is true, but only sorta. Can't really draw much from the 'common opponent' thing this year. When 'bama played USC - the first game of the year - USC was stumbling and fumbling. By the time USC played Washington, the Trojans had swapped qb's, were clicking on all cylinders, and well on their way to an impressive job of salvaging their season.

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Why don't you just look at the SoS in the rpi rankings? Last time I looked Bama was 7th, but Jeff Sagarin has them at 8th now, one spot behind the 'brutal schedule' of tOSU. Washington is 47th. I honest-to-goodness don't have a clue where you come up with the stuff you do.

Mickey Lake

Mickey, look at the current rankings. Ohio State has played 3 clubs in the Top 8, and will shortly play another (Clemson). Alabama's FIRST GAME against a Top 8 club comes against Washington. Gimme a break.

bamamick
12-28-2016, 01:57 PM
And when Bama played USCw we had a true freshman qb and a true freshman right O-tackle playing in their first games ever. It goes both ways, you see.

Mickey Lake

George Jung
12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Don't hitch your fortunes and vicarious living to motivating a bunch of 20-somethings. None of us is 'playing'. Sit back; relax; have a brewskie.

bamamick
12-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Mickey, look at the current rankings. Ohio State has played 3 clubs in the Top 8, and will shortly play another (Clemson). Alabama's FIRST GAME against a Top 8 club comes against Washington. Gimme a break.

Well, for one thing you are absolutely incorrect. Bama has played a bunch of teams that were ranked WHEN WE PLAYED THEM (Washington will be the 3rd top ten team). It is not our fault that this league is like a heavyweight boxing ring where people beat the poop out of each other eight times per year. Washington will be the 9th team that was ranked when we play them, and that doesn't include Western Kentucky, who won 11 games and their conference (C-USA).

Regardless, the grand thing about all of this is that it will play out on the field. Nothing any of us says about these games means a hill of beans. What matters is how the players play and coaches coach and we will see how it all plays out. I have no problem at all giving credit to whoever comes out of this thing with the crystal football because I know to be able to lift that thing they will have earned it on the field. I just don't see how you think you are telling someone something of import when you continue to try and take away from the accomplishments of what is unarguably the most accomplished program of the last decade?

Mickey Lake

George Jung
12-28-2016, 02:16 PM
You do know - you're talking to SB, right? It's what she does.

David G
12-28-2016, 02:18 PM
And when Bama played USCw we had a true freshman qb and a true freshman right O-tackle playing in their first games ever. It goes both ways, you see.

Mickey Lake

Yes - it goes both ways. Sorta. Early on for both teams, and there are always gonna be issues, new faces, etc.

But put aside your partisan hat for a moment and hear what I'm telling you. While I agree that 'bama is the odds-on favorite... that one bolded bit does not tell us much. I give it essentially no weight in my own judgement in favor of 'bama. USC had a dramatic leap forward after that 'bama game. Far more than is normal. More so than I can recall any team making in my memory. Startlingly so. Scarily so for the rest of the Pac-12.

So the difference between the USC team that played 'bama, and the one that played Washington was FAR greater than the difference between the 'bama team that played USC and the one that played the 10th game on their schedule.

That USC leap forward is was so atypically large so as to make any 'common opponent' lessons we might have learned... largely moot this year.

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 02:18 PM
I believe Alabama is the best team and will beat Washington. With that said, "when we played them" doesn't mean much. How did they turn out over the course of the year? All of the "big conference games" over the course of the season, LSU, A&M and Auburn among them, were games against teams that quite frankly were vastly overrated at the time of the contest. Coupled with the non-conference cupcakes (and a weak SC) and the schedule just doesn't ring strong. The season-ending results prove this. WKU? Kent State? Chattanooga?

For all of these reasons, I suggest that Alabama really hasn't played a schedule this year and may be a tad overrated because of it.

George Jung
12-28-2016, 02:24 PM
True. Other than winning all of their games, and beating the snot out of 'em, for good measure - they've got nothing.

Seems I read Alabama had taken over the power rating of 'best team ever', this year. Huskers had owned that for a long time - until now.

leikec
12-28-2016, 03:01 PM
This Alabama team is very, very good. Like any team they can be beaten, but the only way I'd be betting against them would be if I used Sky Blue's money...

Jeff C

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 03:06 PM
This Alabama team is very, very good. Like any team they can be beaten, but the only way I'd be betting against them would be if I used Sky Blue's money...

You could do worse, Jeff, considering the accuracy of your election predictions. :);)

leikec
12-28-2016, 03:20 PM
You could do worse, Jeff, considering the accuracy of your election predictions. :);)

Anyone can make a mistake... :D

Jeff C

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 04:58 PM
ESPN is reporting that offshore bettors have pushed the line to 17 points in action overseas. Washington can't get any action for less than that. Maybe those offshore are less biased? :)

Sky Blue
12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Clemson shouldn't even be in there.

oznabrag
12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Don't hitch your fortunes and vicarious living to motivating a bunch of 20-somethings. None of us is 'playing'. Sit back; relax; have a brewskie.

On the advice of your physician, gents.

You heard the man.

:ycool:

Paul Pless
12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Wonder who Dabo Swinney is pulling for? :D

David G
12-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Wonder who Dabo Swinney is pulling for? :D

Who??

ron ll
12-29-2016, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm. Huskies still at -14 in Vegas. Of course maybe they are using Hillary's pollsters.

Paul Pless
12-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Who??

Ouch

paulf
12-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm. Huskies still at -14 in Vegas. Of course maybe they are using Hillary's pollsters.

Why do I have to keep reminding people she won by 3 million votes?? There is no stinking polls or electoral college in football!

Sky Blue
12-29-2016, 01:27 PM
The powers that be in Alabama ought to be watching Peterson very closely. If he's not on the shortlist to replace Nick Saban when the time comes, he ought to be, and certainly will be if UW upsets Alabama.

He's 119-25 as a head coach, and 6-3 in bowl games, and in less than 3 seasons at UW, has them competing for a national title. IIRC, he has the highest winning percentage of any active coach with at least 40 games coached. That will not be changing anytime soon.

With these facts, an argument can be made that he's the best coach in America not named Saban or Meyer.

ron ll
12-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Why do I have to keep reminding people she won by 3 million votes?? There is no stinking polls or electoral college in football!

Sorry Paul, I forgot the smiley. It was tongue in cheek. :)

Jim Bow
12-29-2016, 01:38 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/icons/icon1.png Re: Huskies/'Bama
Alabama has played the team that beat Washington, right?

In 1936, the AP declared Slippery Rock State College the No.1 team in the nation based on the "A beat B who beat C who beat D, ad infinitum.

bamamick
12-29-2016, 02:50 PM
I would imagine that Dabo is hoping Washington wins. You'd have to believe that if the Huskies win it's a bit of an upset and Clemson would figure they couldn't pull that off two times in a row?

So much talk about Dabo coming 'home'. I wonder if that's the way Alabama goes when that time comes? Heck, we have to have a new AD first, and that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Mickey Lake

Sky Blue
12-29-2016, 03:03 PM
The work Dabo has done is very impressive when you consider he was an interim hire and has brought things to a Danny Ford-type level, but with no scandals. He's outdone the Muschamps, the Malzahns, the Richts.

ron ll
12-29-2016, 03:19 PM
I would imagine that Dabo is hoping Washington wins. You'd have to believe that if the Huskies win it's a bit of an upset and Clemson would figure they couldn't pull that off two times in a row?

So much talk about Dabo coming 'home'. I wonder if that's the way Alabama goes when that time comes? Heck, we have to have a new AD first, and that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

Mickey Lake

So if the Huskies win it would be considered a one time accident? And not that they might be a better team? Wow. The excuses have already started. :D

David G
12-29-2016, 04:25 PM
So if the Huskies win it would be considered a one time accident? And not that they might be a better team? Wow. The excuses have already started. :D

No... he simply said 'upset'. And based on the wiseguys... it would be. A 14 - 16 point upset. The iffy part is the assumption that - having beaten Alabama, the Dawgs would then be underdawgs to Clemson. Maybe they would be, but I haven't seen that sort of projection, nor would I assume so. But... I suppose if one believes deep in one's batter-fried soul that REAL football is only played in the SE quadrant of the U.S.... <G>

paulf
12-29-2016, 05:40 PM
Sorry Paul, I forgot the smiley. It was tongue in cheek. :)

:d I know I forgot too.

oznabrag
12-29-2016, 07:27 PM
On the advice of your physician, gents.

You heard the man.

You heard the man.