PDA

View Full Version : Heat or no heat for dry storage??

Wagemaker
12-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Just curious of the consensus of dry storage of a trailered wood runabout. I own a nicely restored 1958 Penn Yan Swift...would a heated garage dry the boat out too much and cause problems when it hits the water in the summer? Is an unheated space better.

The boat lives in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

Happy Holidays,

WG

Todd D
12-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Unheated is best. In addition a dirt or gravel floor is much better than concrete/asphalt. A heated garage will dry it out a lot. In the PNW I would either leave it in the car port or on the lawn under a tarp.

Wagemaker
12-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Why is dirt/gravel better? Not that I can change the situation anyway, the garage has a concrete floor and I do not have another storage area without paying.

WG

Woxbox
12-23-2016, 03:50 PM
The humidity remains higher over dirt or gravel.

Peerie Maa
12-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Why is dirt/gravel better? Not that I can change the situation anyway, the garage has a concrete floor and I do not have another storage area without paying.

WG

Put some old carpet down under the boat and water it when dry weather is forecast. Keeps the humidity stable and prevents drying problems.

Charlie Santi
12-23-2016, 09:39 PM
You said it is a restored swift. Penn Yan swift model boats are canvas over 5/16 red cedar with oak ribs. Is your restoration done as original or is it Dacron covered with epoxy?

Wagemaker
12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Original canvas

nedL
12-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Because a swift is built like a wood and canvas canoe I don't think dry storage (warm or cold) will harm it at all.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the outboard.

Charlie Santi
12-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Remove motor, block boat so that it is supported by its keel not just the bunks or rollers on the trailer, and you are good to go. The main thing to avoid is high heat such as storing in an offshore container. I would cover the boat with a coverup that can breath just to keep the dust down.