PDA

View Full Version : National policy is now announced by Tweet

Norman Bernstein
12-22-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm wondering how much sober discussion with experts on nuclear policy... and how much soul-searching our President-elect did, before delivering a statement on US policy... via Twitter, no less.

Presidential?

PALM BEACH, Fla./WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Donald Trump called on Thursday for the country to expand its nuclear weapons capabilities until the world “comes to its senses” - a signal he may support costly efforts to modernize the aging U.S. nuclear arsenal.

During the next decade, U.S. ballistic missile submarines, bombers, and land-based missiles - the three legs of the nuclear triad - are expected to reach the end of their useful lives.

Maintaining and modernizing the arsenal is expected to cost at about $1 trillion dollars over 30 years, according to independent estimates.

“The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability until such time as the world comes to its senses regarding nukes,” Trump said in a post on Twitter.

TomF
12-22-2016, 06:49 PM
The trivialization of policy continues. It is unconscionable IMO to have strategic Nuclear policy announced in tweets of 140 characters or less.

Paul Pless
12-22-2016, 06:50 PM
so much for rick perry ****canning the doe

amish rob
12-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Sounds like an opportunity to start disseminating some haiku...;)

Peace,
Robert

TomF
12-22-2016, 06:54 PM
He would have to be literate.

TomF
12-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Yuuuge nukes, enormous
Bigly mushrooms, no kidding;
Russia will fund them

amish rob
12-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Yuuuge nukes, enormous
Russia will fund them

See?

All tweets should have to be haiku.

Peace,
Robert

jack grebe
12-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Somebody is gonna have to design a closed internet that doesn't go
Beyond Pennsylvania Ave, and maybe congress......

Gib Etheridge
12-22-2016, 09:14 PM
The more unreasoned and inflammatory it is the more his half witted groupies love it. I can hear the cheering from here. Should build a wall to keep the noise out.

Garret
12-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Yuuuge nukes, enormous
Russia will fund them

Absolutely perfect. Thank you sir!

Gib Etheridge
12-22-2016, 09:20 PM
I sure hope something happens to stop him before he stops all of us, I mean this guy borders on being criminally insane.

Gib Etheridge
12-22-2016, 09:27 PM
I think I'm going to have to stop following the news, which will mean avoiding the bilge entirely. I was a much happier person when I just ignored the foolishness, and it doesn't do anybody any good for me to be well informed anyway. There are much better ways to spend my time. Adios youse buggers. Have a good time rolling in the filth.

jack grebe
12-22-2016, 09:42 PM
I think I'm going to have to stop following the news, which will mean avoiding the bilge entirely. I was a much happier person when I just ignored the foolishness, and it doesn't do anybody any good for me to be well informed anyway. There are much better ways to spend my time. Adios youse buggers. Have a good time rolling in the filth.

Don't go, just change the channel to FOX!
Then you will see him become a Hero

S/V Laura Ellen
12-22-2016, 10:07 PM
See?

Peace,
Robert

It'll just lead to yet one more high price politico positions that you and the rest of the country will have to pay for - NHA (National Haiku Advisor, Under Secretary to the National Haiku Advisor, and a staff of 20 on call at night to write the Haikus).

But I think that limericks are more in line with "The Donald".

Canoeyawl
12-22-2016, 10:15 PM
The absolute fool
elected president trump
Putin will not yield

skuthorp
12-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Told ya so, the Whitehouse Press Corps is out of a job.

LeeG
12-22-2016, 11:56 PM
See?

Peace,
Robert

I agree

Jim Bow
12-23-2016, 01:12 AM
Will henuse twitter to declare war?

Gerarddm
12-23-2016, 01:15 AM
The Drumpf motto will be not E Pluribus Unum, but will be Keep 'Em Guessing.

BrianW
12-23-2016, 01:33 AM
I've posted this before, to make my thoughts on the tweeting clear...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/tweet_zpsmf5ruzhs.jpg

:D

But if all three legs of the triad are going to need upgrading in 10 years, and if we're not expecting any changes in the current nuclear weapon situation, we are going to need to invest in the programs.

I'd rather not, but MAD seems to have worked so far.

skuthorp
12-23-2016, 01:42 AM
I wonder if the GOP will oppose the expenditure the way they did when Obama wanted to update your nukes?

Any bets...........

isla
12-23-2016, 06:05 AM
Anybody remember the campaign debate where Trump didn't know what 'nuclear triad' meant?..

Donald Trump, who claims to be the “best on the military” among the 2016 Presidential candidates because he is the best at everything, apparently has no idea what the nuclear triad is. The revelation came during last night’s Presidential Debate when conservative talk radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump a question about the need to modernize our nuclear forces.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/donald-trump-has-no-idea-what-americas-nuclear-triad-is-1748283463
(http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/donald-trump-has-no-idea-what-americas-nuclear-triad-is-1748283463)
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/trumps-terrifying-nuke-answer-at-the-debate-should-end-his-campaign-but-it-wont-20151216

Nicholas Scheuer
12-23-2016, 06:22 AM
My message to Trump, "Tweet THIS".