PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty, then - where do I find one of these stateside?

George Jung
12-21-2016, 09:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWk9N92-wvg

Gerarddm
12-21-2016, 09:11 PM
I want to know why we can't get that handsome Accord wagon here in the US.

George Jung
12-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Agreed. It's actually pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for (actually, the 5 series BMWsportswagon... just don't like the price!)

outofthenorm
12-21-2016, 09:52 PM
That was a 2007 model. Was once available here in Canada, but not now.

David G
12-21-2016, 10:11 PM
Had a client who had an Accord wagon. He was dreading the day it wore out, as he thought it perfect, it was available no more, and there was nothing available new to replace it. I think he eventually ended up with a later model Mazda6 wagon. IIRC, it wasnot discontinued for another 10-12 years??

I agree. Wagons and even hatches (and diesels!!!) have been seriously disrespected (stupidly in my opinion) by the U.S. market --

Here's one journalist's list: some of what we're missing --

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/07/10-wagons-we-wish-were-sold-in-the-us.html

http://autoguide.com.vsassets.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015-jaguar-xfr-s-sportbrake.jpg

elf
12-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Forester, RAV4, Matrix

George Jung
12-21-2016, 10:24 PM
I like the Forester, the RAV4 and Matrix, less-so. But an Accord wagon - that would be sweet (and likely even less-costly). The Honda CrossTour is a thought;apparentlly Acura used to make a 'near wagon' (can't find the model now). Seems the US, unlike elsewhere, like's their SUV's.

George Jung
12-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Acura ZDX - last made in 2013? I don't believe I've ever seen one, but it looks 'intriguing'.

Garret
12-21-2016, 10:50 PM
The US market is sorely lacking in small wagons. Sorry Emily, but small SUVs are not wagons. Try lifting kayaks up on a Rav4 with a rack sometime - as an example, my ex, who is 6'3" & it great shape, had to invest in rollers for the rack & it's still tough. The Forester is an overgrown Impreza - which is the cheapest Subaru aka tin can.

Pretty much all we can get are various VWs, Audis & BMWs. I must say the new VW AllTrack looks promising though. Took one for a spin & really liked it.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-21-2016, 11:13 PM
We get a very nice wagon version of the honda civic.

elf
12-21-2016, 11:45 PM
The US market is sorely lacking in small wagons. Sorry Emily, but small SUVs are not wagons. Try lifting kayaks up on a Rav4 with a rack sometime - as an example, my ex, who is 6'3" & it great shape, had to invest in rollers for the rack & it's still tough. The Forester is an overgrown Impreza - which is the cheapest Subaru aka tin can.
If you want a small wagon, my 5 door Yaris was just that. The car in that ad looked bigger. Also, Subaru has smaller cars than the Forester and most of them now come in 5 door configurations, at least judging from what i see on the streets around here they do.

epoxyboy
12-21-2016, 11:59 PM
I like the Forester, the RAV4 and Matrix, less-so. But an Accord wagon - that would be sweet (and likely even less-costly). The Honda CrossTour is a thought;apparentlly Acura used to make a 'near wagon' (can't find the model now). Seems the US, unlike elsewhere, like's their SUV's.
Ten days and 2000km with a RAV4 in Australia earlier this year left me less than impressed.
4WD aside, the only thing it did better than our twenty year old Camry wagon was use less gas. I had been expecting the intervening twenty years of automotive development to deliver a better result than that.
And yeah, it would be a pain to get anything onto a roof rack.

Pete

David G
12-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Yes - the two wagons that are most interesting to me are the stodgy ol' Subaru Outback, and the New VW Golf Alltrack.

Now... about those diesels...

Ian McColgin
12-22-2016, 06:21 AM
Great ad.

Garret
12-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Yes - the two wagons that are most interesting to me are the stodgy ol' Subaru Outback, and the New VW Golf Alltrack.

Now... about those diesels...

I just can't bring myself to drive a Subaru. I don't fit 'em for one (seats especially), but I mostly don't like their thirsty engine that needs head gaskets by 60K. Parts for them aren't cheap either - easily rivaling/surpassing VW & Audi prices but not quality.

The diesels? Boy did that tick me off. Not just the cheating (which was bad enough) - but the fact that the fabulous TDI motor is gone. They are a treat to drive & I will miss them. VW/Audi sure has spent a ton of $ dealing with it. Friend has a 2010 TDI that she paid 11K for 2 years ago. She's driven it probably 30K since & will be turning it in to VW for 14.5K + she's already received 1K. My brother is doing even better on his.

David W Pratt
12-22-2016, 10:30 AM
607 takes, how many practice runs?
I liked it

George Jung
12-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Alltrak vs Sportswagon - mostly size difference?

David G
12-22-2016, 11:00 AM

No... mostly looks. Same rig.... mostly. Raised a bit for more (barely) ground clearance. Only available as AWD, and the drive-train is different - feeding power to the front unless the computer decides you need some at the rear too. No longer available with a diesel <sigh>

Probably my fave small wagon. We looked hard at the last generation for my sweetie - when it was called a Jetta - before deciding to spend less money and get the Honda Fit. The Fit was a very good choice (my only gripe is too much road noise) - but the VW is a notch above in terms of quality interior, and quiet and luxury feel.

Garret
12-22-2016, 11:22 AM

And - if you want a sunroof (it's one of the big panoramic ones) - you have to step up to the AllTrack. I was looking @ AWD - so it's possible that you can get FWD with a sunroof in the Sportwagen - but not AWD.

The difference is over an inch in ground clearance - close to 2" I believe & exterior & interior trim differences.

One little thing I liked is that the rear door latch (it's 2.5" round VW symbol) also covers the rear camera - so it's covered except when in reverse. Having just had a rental where the rear camera was uncovered, I can attest to the value of covering it.

David G
12-22-2016, 11:47 AM
And - if you want a sunroof (it's one of the big panoramic ones) - you have to step up to the AllTrack. I was looking @ AWD - so it's possible that you can get FWD with a sunroof in the Sportwagen - but not AWD.

The difference is over an inch in ground clearance - close to 2" I believe & exterior & interior trim differences.

One little thing I liked is that the rear door latch (it's 2.5" round VW symbol) also covers the rear camera - so it's covered except when in reverse. Having just had a rental where the rear camera was uncovered, I can attest to the value of covering it.

I was curious about the ground clearance. Went back to the Car & Driver article I read months ago - it said less than an inch increase. But they were testing the european version. A later article claims 1.4"

Figment
12-22-2016, 03:36 PM

are you saying that the latch/cover flips (or otherwise actuates) open to expose the lens when reverse is engaged?

Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. With our cars with exposed rear cameras, I really don't have a problem with giving the lens a quick wipe as part of the refueling routine.

Figment
12-22-2016, 03:39 PM
In the conversation of station wagons.... for some reason I was under the impression that Ford had discontinued the "Flex" years ago but now I see it on their website and I'm encouraged. I thought I was going to have to go Volvo or Mazda for a wagon when my current lease ends this summer.

Garret
12-22-2016, 03:42 PM
are you saying that the latch/cover flips (or otherwise actuates) open to expose the lens when reverse is engaged?

Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me. With our cars with exposed rear cameras, I really don't have a problem with giving the lens a quick wipe as part of the refueling routine.

I believe it's the case.