X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted Hoppe
    Irritant, Level 2
    • Nov 2006

Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on the CAT ferry

I am day dreaming about a possible summer trip which includes motorcycle riding, boats and a ride through the maritime provinces. A ferry trip to Yarmouth looks like a great way to continue after the boat show on my way a-round-about way home.

Has anyone taken this new boat?

Without friends none of this is possible.
  • Norman Bernstein
    Liberaltarian
    • Nov 2004

Re: Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia on the CAT ferry

I did it, about 30 years ago.... drove to Portland, took my bicycle in the ferry, landed in Yarmouth NS, and biked south and east along the coast... beautiful scenery. Camped out about 60 miles from Yarmouth, although my plans were cut short due to a bad tire and an ankle sprain.... I didn't make it to Halifax, but had to take a bus back to Yarmouth, and took the ferry back to Portland the following day.

Of course, that was before the existence of the fast ferry... instead, the conventional ferry was an overnight trip, and I booked a small cabin aboard.

One thing I remember from the trip, was spending the night before the ferry in a small motel in Yarmouth, and having breakfast the next morning... a buffet, with a lot of smoked fish... I was in heaven!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

I took the old Cat and I loved it! What a great way to get to a truly great destination.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
        Irritant, Level 2
        • Nov 2006

More i look at the route and read about these beautiful places - it does sound good. With an ambitious plan like this in July i will have to be planning now as well as get TOWMBO to sign off on this. Maybe get a few stringers to join me.

Boat show, a ride on the Intrepid, a dash through New England and a return trip through Canada. It would fun to do a series of get togethers with various folks here.
        Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

• CWSmith
          New Hampshire
          • Nov 2008

I was jealous enough without Intrepid. That really put me over the top!
          "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• BrianW
            not your average member
            • Nov 2002

Those fast ferries (in general) are fantastic but expensive to run.
            “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• StevenBauer
              LPBC member
              • Jan 2000

We've talked about doing a Nova Scotia motorcycle trip many times. When we looked into it in the past the ferry has been really expensive. Maybe this latest venture won't be as bad. There is also the Digby-St. John ferry. We might be interested if the timing works out, Ted. And if not you will have to stop here for a visit on your way North.
              Last time we visited NS we had a great time.

Steven
              Last edited by StevenBauer; 12-21-2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Barry
                Banned
                • Nov 2001

Wasn't the "Nova Star" Seized by Federal Marshals for outstanding debt?
                I thought it had lost the franchise from Nova Scotia to run the service.
                Is it back up and running?

Comment

• Garret
                  Hills of Vermont
                  • Apr 2005

I've done the high speed cat from Fort Myers to Key West. Quite a ride. Do not wear your hat if you go outside!

One of the captains is a friend of the SIL & we got to visit the wheelhouse as he undocked @ Key West. Whole thing was done with a joystick & a few buttons on a little hand-held. He said it used to be wireless, but Homeland Security made them go to wired for security.
                  "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• elf
                    opinionated crone
                    • Sep 2006

Been on that thing. Didn't have to pay the ticket, however. Like an apartment building on water, completely isolated from the shore, too far out anyway.

The fast ferries to Mortha's Vineyard are just as effortless.
                    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
                    And other things, too.

http://www.landsedgephoto.photodeck.com

Comment

Working...