PDA

View Full Version : Bakersfield cops

birlinn
12-14-2016, 03:42 PM
Shoot pensioner carrying a....crucifix
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38309192
Only in the US!

ETA: Although to be fair, I do remember the UK police shooting a man carrying a wrapped up antique chair leg.

BrianY
12-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Well, obviously the perpetrator was about to cause severe harm to some vampires so he had to be taken out.

Ian McColgin
12-14-2016, 04:11 PM
"Happy to see me or is that Jesus in your pocket?"

Maybe too soon. Trigger happy killers in blue are no joke.

Waddie
12-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Sometimes the police are in the wrong, like obviously shooting a man in the back; but sometimes I can see where they felt the need to use deadly force. This was one of the latter.

I read the story. He had attacked neighbors and they called the police. It was noted by each victim of these assaults that he kept one hand in his pocket, which they thought he was keeping a gun handy. I'm sure that was reported on the 911 calls. So the police would have naturally assumed this man was very dangerous; and they did hold off for almost 30 seconds, ordering the man to put his hands up, and take his hand out of his pocket. They had no way of knowing he held a crucifix and had dementia. All they saw was a dangerous, possibly armed, possibly drunk or drugged up violent lunatic in front of them.

My question would be; why did the family ever let this old man out of their sight?

regards,
Waddie

LeeG
12-14-2016, 10:11 PM
My question would be; why did the family ever let this old man out of their sight?

regards,
Waddie

Have your kids ever been out of your sight?

Canoeyawl
12-14-2016, 10:30 PM
"A 2015 Mapping Police Violence study rated Bakersfield Police Department as the deadliest in the country, logging 13.6 killings for every million people, compared with a US average of 3.6"

Stay away from Bakersfield...

I had an employee (white, Vietnam vet, from Vermont) who on a routine stop in Bakersfield was found driving on an (recently) expired license. Unable to post bail on the spot, they arrested him and put him in jail for the weekend. Monday morning in court the judge asked him how he was going to pay the fine and John's reply was "I don't know" and he was promptly sentenced to 60 days at the farm... I can see now he was pretty lucky not to be shot.

Waddie
12-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Have your kids ever been out of your sight?

He was not a child. He was an old man with dementia. He should have been supervised at all times, just like a child. And yes, my children were always supervised.

regards,
Waddie

ishmael
12-15-2016, 04:11 AM
A tragic, tragic mistake. A sign of the times. Cops have a tough job; never know who's going to answer the door, or what is going on on the street. I wasn't there, don't know the streets much these days, but it does seem a bit trigger happy on their part.