PDA

View Full Version : Best epoxy for cloth layup on new ply

gjr3
10-10-2003, 01:56 PM
I am in the midst of rennovating a 26 foot CC Cutlass. I had to replace all the cabin and most of the deck with marine ply. This is sealed with CPES.

Next will be 6 or 10 oz (what would you go with?) in epoxy, topped with more epoxy then topcoated with a urethane paint (like Uniflex 255 from Rot Doc).

Not sure what's best for the layup and topcoat of epoxy. Have used WEST and SystemThree.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gregg.

NormMessinger
10-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Nothin' wrong with either of those, is there? So, define "best."

JimD
10-11-2003, 12:21 AM
Greg, take a look at Raka. They have a number of resins and hardeners. I'm currently using their 350 hardener and 127 resin. The hardener is advertised as non-blushing and seems to live up to the claim. They also have low prices for larger orders.

RodB
10-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Over the past 3 years I've used almost 25 gallons of System III from 100 degrees to 40 degrees, low and high humidity... no problems yet. I have always glassed with the dry cloth/ squeege method on bare plywood applying a total of 4 coats. My designer has built over 60 boats and no problems. I'll probably stick to System III until something better at a lesser price comes along.

RB

[ 10-11-2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: RodB ]

Allen Foote
10-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Actually, If I was doing this I would not have used CPES knowing that I would over coat with epoxy. I use West System and I would have used the slow hardener so that the first coating had more time to penetrate the plywood. The cloth would be 6oz because anything heavier takes too long to wet-out. Scotch-brite the epoxy to remove the Amine blush before coating.

Frank Wentzel
10-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Gregg

Various members of the Forum have used the epoxies mentioned above plus Maas, FCI, Progressive Epoxy and many others. Any quality epoxy has strength and adhesion properties that far exceed those required in our boat building. (I will make exception for some highly engineered racing machines, but we generally don't fall in that category, and we wouldn't want to be constrained by the curing requirements of some of these "super resins".) I have used epoxies from all over the country and, except when I was looking for specific properties such as low viscosity or long pot life at high temperatures (I live in Florida), I have found that they all have given excellent service.

/// Frank ///