PDA

View Full Version : Haven steam bending frames

cejenkinsjr
12-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Hi All, I have started steaming and bending oak ribs or frames. Initially I am clamping frames to the molds. I have an idea to wire tie or zip tie the oak frames to the molds, say after a day or two of being clamped down in order to hold them in place and to free up clamps. Any thoughts in this regard? Anybody done this or have other suggestions? Thanks, Chuck

Bill Mercer
12-09-2016, 01:12 AM
I did this with my boat, which was skin on frame--I zip tied the frames to the stringers until I got around to permanently tying them in.
Note that hot, freshly-steamed oak is relatively soft and could be dented by wire ties.

Bill Wiegmann
12-09-2016, 08:36 AM
I also used zip ties for my Haven frames. Use the heaviest duty ties you can find to hold the frames snug to the molds. I did not notice a problem with my oak deforming, but you could slip little bits of softwood shims under the ties to spread the load if you had a problem.

The How to Build book suggests "dogs" made of large nails, but I did not have much luck getting the dogs to hold tight and so shifted to zip ties.

upchurchmr
12-09-2016, 09:25 AM
There are pliers-like tools to tighten up zip ties.
Sometimes you just need a little more grip to pull parts together.
I got mine at an Ace Hardware - but they are probably at a lot more stores.

cejenkinsjr
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I also used zip ties for my Haven frames. Use the heaviest duty ties you can find to hold the frames snug to the molds. I did not notice a problem with my oak deforming, but you could slip little bits of softwood shims under the ties to spread the load if you had a problem.

The How to Build book suggests "dogs" made of large nails, but I did not have much luck getting the dogs to hold tight and so shifted to zip ties.

yes, I tried making some of the "dogs". What a PITA! ha. thanks for the replies and suggestions

Jay Greer
12-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Frames are sawn and ribs are steam bent. Just to explain the difference.
Jay