PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting with Oatmeal???

Jon Agne
02-22-2002, 04:38 PM
:confused: I was at a meeting with a few other wooden boat owners not too long ago, and one of them told the group that the best money he ever spent on his "woodpile" was to hire a sandblaster for paint removal. Needless to say, THAT got our attention! He was adamant, however, stating that they used oatmeal (instead of sand or plastic)in order to not harm the wood.

I seem to recall reading an artcle somewhere about this, but cannot locate it. Any comments?

Jim Budde
02-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Don't know about oatmeal, but have watched sandblasting on wood using soda ... I would suspect that it is somewhat similar in softness to oatmeal. Project was 7 coats of thick house paint on cedar sided house. Guy doing the work was a pro. Process was okay where wood was still dense (hard). Soft spots created big problems faster than operator could re-direct flow of soda away from wood.Ripped surface of wood like a cheap dull router. Operator explained to me that pressure needed to lift paint (regardless of substance used)was sufficient to damage any but the most solid of wood. We stopped and went to torch.

If you find oatmeal is differnt ... and aceptable, post results. Have a project I would like not to torch

[ 02-22-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Jim Budde ]

Bob Cleek
02-22-2002, 05:28 PM
O...kay... Oatmeal! Where'd you hear that one? Willford Brimley's at it again! LOL I guess anything harder than what you're shooting it at will abrade the surface, but OATMEAL? Hey, they use walnut hulls all the time, rice hulls too sometimes, I think. Why not oatmeal?

What do you do when every pigeon for miles around arrives for breakfast, lunch and dinner? You think removing paint is a chore? And in no time every wharf rat for miles around will be packing his gut. Up to your ankles in rat crap, standing in a shower of bird poop... Why not oatmeal? LOL

Dave Fleming
02-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Was working at yard in Seattle and a nice old woodie came in after a fire in one of those floating boat houses on Lake Union. We gutted what was really gone and then this outfit came in and used crushed Walnut shells and then some finer grain type stuff to remove the char from the interior joiner work. It came out as I recall, pretty damn good.
Oh, you knew that something had happened to the wood but it was clean and smooth. A bit of sanding and it was ready for re-varnishing.
The outfit even cleaned up their mess. That was a nice change for this apprentice for sure!

Ross Faneuf
02-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Oatmeal?? Some of us are required to use granoa to maintain our cultural identity. But not the kind with raisins in it. smile.gif And not tofu either.

sydney
02-28-2002, 10:33 PM
Jon,

I don't know where you are located, but if you are near metropolitan area there should be a well equipt mechanicl cleaning outfit that could steer you in the right direction. The use of baking soda as a blasting has a lot of variables, wet or dry, grade ozzle design, and most importantly the operator. Two other interesting media are both dry ice (co2) and wet ice.

TomRobb
03-01-2002, 09:24 AM
I'd have supposed that hitting the wood with anything (industrial diamonds to wet oatmeal) that impacts the paint hard enough to knock it off will also eat into the wood. How could it be otherwise?

whb
03-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

A local piano refinisher here swears by outmeal. They often have fancy moldings that they can't get at otherwise. I've seen his work and it does produce a good result with little damage.

Howard