PDA

View Full Version : Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's wife will head the Dept. of Transportation

PatCassidy
11-29-2016, 06:10 PM
What a coincidence! How high it the water in that swamp now?

Gerarddm
11-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Well over the Deplorables' heads.

Ian McColgin
11-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Well, she has some experience in transportation through the Foremost Maritime Corporation, the Chao family source of wealth. One hopes that they have sorted out the free trade issues of the Ping May.

Ian McColgin
11-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Also didn't miss her much criticized tenure as Secretary of Labor. If she does as well in transportation as she did in mine safety . . . By any standard, she's a powerhouse of a governmental administrator devoted to reducing the role of government.

RonW
11-29-2016, 07:43 PM
You're kinda missing the point there Ian. What president has appointed the wife of the senate majority leader to a cabinet position. This may be a first , and does go a long way of keeping it in the family

and moving things right along. But don't mention this to norm, he will come up with one of his wacky conspiracy theories of trying to eliminate radical liberal agendas. You know how he is .

Ian McColgin
11-29-2016, 08:01 PM
" . . . crackpot Democrats, who, even when they had the legislative power to get rid of her, didn't." [#7]

Silly me. And here I thought that removal could only be through Article II of the United States Constitution which requires something a bit more than policy beefs about letting miners die because your agency does not perform required inspections.

paulf
11-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Incest is OK as long as you keep it in the family

Jim Bow
11-29-2016, 11:42 PM
There is precident. Elizabeth Dole headed Transportation and Labor under Reagan and Bush1 while Bob Dole was Majority Leader.

Ian McColgin
11-30-2016, 06:45 AM
No moving target at all. There is, despite right wing calls for jail time for the former Secretary of State and slurs on the floor that the President is a liar, liberals go with the constitution and the law. Chao was hired for her talent in reducing government. This resulted in mine deaths happening and going unpunished on her watch. That's really terrible, but how you administer or maladminister does not rise to the level of crime required for impeachment.

Yes, I realize that in the impeachment of Bill Clinton the right wing changed the definition of "high crimes and misdemenors" to matters that have nothing to do with harm to the state, but people who actually cleave to democratic self-governance can't go with abuse of process for mere revenge and power lust.

LeeG
11-30-2016, 09:39 AM
She sounds competent. It'll be interesting how "investing in America's infrastructure" meets "shrinking gov't "

Reynard38
11-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Trans Sec is always a flunky position.

Dan McCosh
11-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Trans Sec is always a flunky position. Doesn't mean much unless you fly, drive a car, take a train, or use shipping.

PatCassidy
11-30-2016, 10:08 AM
I think we can all agree that flying has been a mess for the past 20 years. Oil prices plunged and seat space continues to shrink and you get nickeled and dimed about everything. Its not a democratic thing. Its not a republican thing. It's an oligopoly masquerading as a free market.

John of Phoenix
11-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Trans Sec is always a flunky position.Who knows, she just might dismantle the FAA in the sacred name of smaller government.

Garret
11-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Who knows, she just might dismantle the FAA in the sacred name of smaller government.

Or do "useful" stuff like Elizabeth Dole did - millions on roll cages for motorcycles, etc.