X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Anthony Bourdain's first essay on food

I had never encountered this but its a bit of legend. He wrote it and offered it to a few free street newspapers which told him they would get back to him. After a few months of it being turned down a relative handed it to someone they knew at The New Yorker. Within days they replied to him, with a check, and asked him for more. The rest, as they say, is history.

Don’t Eat Before Reading This

enjoy!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.
  • B_B
    Banned
    • Sep 2001

Re: Anthony Bourdain's first essay on food

Originally posted by Donn
    The Mario Batali photo on that page is a classic!

Where're his orange Crocs? I love the guy, but cheeses someone needs to get him some footwear...Its like what Fieri does with his hair, Batali does with his feet.

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
      That Richard Guy
      • May 2010

Spot on!

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

• LeeG
        • May 2002

Good

Comment

• Lew Barrett
          Landlocked
          • Dec 2005

If you read "Kitchen Confidential" you will never order swordfish again. Ever. Bourdain is at his best on the page. His TV shows have become predictable, routine and frequently boring. His recent coverage of Nashville was thin, poorly researched and pointless. I still like him, how could you not, but he's become another victim of over-exposure.
          One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Lew Barrett
            If you read "Kitchen Confidential" you will never order swordfish again. Ever. Bourdain is at his best on the page. His TV shows have become predictable, routine and frequently boring. His recent coverage of Nashville was thin, poorly researched and pointless.
            That's CNN for you.

He's done some recent web release shorts in which he has focused on one kitchen, or one cook, or one craft and they are worth watching.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
              • Jun 2003

"Every-ting has Vorms"

(From the master of the most successful Halibut schooner in Seattle)

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                Liberaltarian
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                I had never encountered this but its a bit of legend. He wrote it and offered it to a few free street newspapers which told him they would get back to him. After a few months of it being turned down a relative handed it to someone they knew at The New Yorker. Within days they replied to him, with a check, and asked him for more. The rest, as they say, is history.

Don’t Eat Before Reading This

enjoy!
                I DID enjoy that article... quite good, although I find the guy to be rather tiresome, on TV.
                "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                  Landlocked
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                  That's CNN for you.

He's done some recent web release shorts in which he has focused on one kitchen, or one cook, or one craft and they are worth watching.
                  I noticed that. I used to think he was a breath of fresh air in the dreary food entertainment business. I'm not saying I would do it differently than he has. Everything becomes a franchise when it's successful, and there's no reason he shouldn't do so as well, but it flies in the face of the thing we all held dear about him. The article is the proof that his early work is his best.
                  One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Jim Bow
                    Normcore
                    • Jul 2008

Note: Bourdain has always championed the restaurant workers. He supports them, and in his Portland show, he hung out with the waiters and back of house staff.

Battali, on the other hand is a tyrant and a thief: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...o-Bataliu.html
                    “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
                      That Richard Guy
                      • May 2010

Bourdain tells it like it is, warts and all. I think I would have enjoyed working a shift with him, famous or not. Any of the others. . . not so much.

Comment

• Glen Longino
                        • Jun 2008

I like Bourdain. Last night I watched 4 episodes in a row on CNN. I'd seen all of them before.
                        I think I'd rather party with him than work with him.

Comment

• C. Ross
                          • May 2007

Just got to this. I've never seen him on TV. If he's a fraction of this I can understand the varied reactions.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
                            Landlocked
                            • Dec 2005

He can be excellent Cris, and first impressions are inevitably of humor and candor. I'm easily bored by repetition over exposure so take my critiques with a grain of salt.
                            Some of his work, the majority of it, is excellent. If I had to be locked in a lighted room with Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern playing 24/7 on a tube it's a no brainer, go with Bourdain. But, he's still become a main course that, like chicken, can sometimes become boring after you've sampled all the variations.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                              pinko commie tree hugger
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Glen Longino
                              I think I'd rather party with him than work with him.
                              my impression is that most, not all certainly, but most all star chefs are asses of the highest order to work for
                              Last edited by Paul Pless; 11-26-2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...