Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterSibley
    • Dec 2001

Casting Jack Reacher ????

I really don't understand casting Tom Cruise as Reacher, Reacher is supposed to be older, bigger and meaner.It's a very strange selection.

Liam Neeson would have been a far better choice .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Casting Jack Reacher ????

he actually pulls it off
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• PeterSibley
      • Dec 2001

He's too soft .
      Grateful Dead

Comment

• BrianY
        Left Wing Extremist
        • Apr 2004

Like casting Tom Sellack as Jesse Stone...but as with Tom Cruise, he pulls it off too.

The key is to not compare books to movies and movies to books. They should be considered separately and judged on their own merits.
        I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

• PeterSibley
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by BrianY
          Like casting Tom Sellack as Jesse Stone...but as with Tom Cruise, he pulls it off too.

The key is to not compare books to movies and movies to books. They should be considered separately and judged on their own merits.
          OK I'll be good but I still reckon Liam Neeson would have done it better !
          Grateful Dead

Comment

• isla
            Isla Woodcraft
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by PeterSibley
            OK I'll be good but I still reckon Liam Neeson would have done it better !
            I agree. I also think that Aaron Eckhart could have done it..

Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

• PeterSibley
              • Dec 2001

Yes, a good fit !
              Grateful Dead

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
                can eat fifty eggs
                • Sep 2003

The really surprising thing here is that Peter Sibley likes/cares about the Jack Reacher movies. I did not see that coming.

I am one of the few who will admit to liking Tom Cruise. I'll see him in anything.

Comment

• TomF
                  Recalcitrant Heretic
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by L.W. Baxter
                  The really surprising thing here is that Peter Sibley likes/cares about the Jack Reacher movies. I did not see that coming.

I am one of the few who will admit to liking Tom Cruise. I'll see him in anything.
                  Over the years he has become an actor, transitioning from just being a pretty guy. Props to him for focusing on his craft, when frankly he didn't need to. I'm liking him a lot more as an actor as he ages.

More than I like what we're led to believe about him in his private life, though it's pretty sure that we "know" mostly crap there too. I don't have to have deep moral approval of every person involved in building my house to enjoy living in it; same with movies.
                  If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• amish rob
                    Emperor For Life
                    • Mar 2010

You guys want to know a secret?

I rarely enjoy movies. Probably not why you think, either.

Suffice to say, I find only technical failings.

Acting, though, is really exactly what they say: Know your line, hit your mark. The "magic" of acting is to be yourself, to do and be, not to pretend. You are Jack Reacher, you don't ACT like him. Sounds simple, but it's hard.
                    Honest, I know what I'm saying, and I'm not trying to be mean. I think Tom Cruise has become "better" because he's become more able to suspend his own disbelief, to really BELEIEVE he's Reacher or whoever.

Still. Rarely can I get through one without the flaws gnawing at me. Technical flaws, y'all. Bad editing, poor production quality, continuity.

Peace,
                    Robert

Comment

• TomF
                      Recalcitrant Heretic
                      • Jun 2003

Herself is fascinating to watch movies with; her default position is that popular literature (including TV, film etc.) reveals the anxieties of an age. That we should watch Zombie movies knowing that zombies are metaphors for mindless consumption, and the risk of becoming caught in it. That Frankenstein was not only about fears of science, but about the fear of people pursuing whatever their passion entirely autonomously, outside of relationship. That the ambition becomes monstrous, because it is in service only to one's ego.

Dracula was a 19th Century metaphor for unequal and abusive emotional relationships - men feeding on women, women feeding on children. And again, Dracula himself moving from the monarchical periphery (Transylvania) to the hub of the modern world (London). Prey-oriented relationships were, Dracula realized, fundamental to the exercise of the new economic system just as they had been to the one now passed.

So watching movies with Herself is an education. An exploration of subtext, which isn't usually even apparent to many of the pulp literature creators; they write and produce this stuff because it sells. It sells because it rings true in the fears and worries of the buying public.
                      If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• gilberj
                        • Aug 2010

Curious...I have often considered that movies and books were a metaphor for what's going on in society. I really have not taken that thought process as to Dracula being a metaphor for colonial exploitation and patriarchal domination....must be fun watching movies with that in mind.

I'll confess to some prejudice regarding Tom Cruise. I don't like him. I'll agree he has done some decent acting. The character in the book is a part of the story. Totally changing the character to use a certain actor makes it all different. Does not work for me.
                        Last edited by gilberj; 11-22-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• TomF
                          Recalcitrant Heretic
                          • Jun 2003

Speaking of Tom Cruise movies, I still remember vividly her comment that the movie "Rain Man" was a tragedy of a person with two autistic sons.

Comment

Working...