PDA

View Full Version : buiding a Beuhler the Beuhler way

andrewpatrol
11-16-2016, 10:59 PM
https://saltandtar.wordpress.com/

This is a blog site of a young couple of PYT's doing it the tough way. I say good on em and live the dream. follow the links for videos. To be so young with a dream coming to realisation. Im 55 and only just figuring it out!!!

Dave Wright
11-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Good blog, thanks for posting. I'm happy to see that he's only 25 and has lots of time left. It looks like this will be a successful project.

Ryden
11-17-2016, 02:51 AM
A few word from the draughtsman
http://www.georgebuehler.com/Button%20number%202.html

Edward Pearson
11-17-2016, 04:25 AM
https://saltandtar.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dscn5071.jpg

14 ton boat. Anybody know the ballast weight (reinforced concrete and iron scrap) ?

wsgilliam
11-17-2016, 08:34 AM
My my that is a chunky thing.

Ian McColgin
11-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Wonderful project.

wizbang 13
11-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Thrilled to see some youths building a boat.
Takes me back.

amish rob
11-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Oh, no! Now their lives are going to be ruined forever!

They should have just got square jobs and bought a condo.

Ha. Kidding. When I was their age I was living on my bicycle, bum racing my way around the country. If only I had discovered boatbuilding sooner... :)

I would have built his Archimedes, though...

Peace,
Robert

skaraborgcraft
11-17-2016, 11:45 AM
https://saltandtar.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/dscn5071.jpg

14 ton boat. Anybody know the ballast weight (reinforced concrete and iron scrap) ?

Iron around 450lbs Cuft and cement around 150lbs Cuft. George normally suggests cramming as much scrap in the keel as possible. His keels are generally quite large in order to achieve a reasonable weight. I helped out with one concrete and steel punchings keel, that was pretty good at 625lbs Cuft, much easier to get a denser keel with punchings.

gilberj
11-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Iron around 450lbs Cuft and cement around 150lbs Cuft. George normally suggests cramming as much scrap in the keel as possible. His keels are generally quite large in order to achieve a reasonable weight. I helped out with one concrete and steel punchings keel, that was pretty good at 625lbs Cuft, much easier to get a denser keel with punchings.

It can be a problem when the cement ballast keel is buoyant enough to support about half its own weight. If the boat has little form stability you very possibly will find it tender. Good luck though. I like the idea behind Georges earlier sailing designs

skaraborgcraft
11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
^ Tenderness is something many owners bring up, George might say it is a design principle to ease motion, others have been a bit more harsh suggesting he screwed up his numbers. I didnt realise, but some guy local is building an Olga, from what i see on the site.

CK 17
11-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Their pretty young with a couple of lifetimes of boat adventures already behind them. If only I could. . . . .

gilberj
11-17-2016, 03:38 PM
^ Tenderness is something many owners bring up, George might say it is a design principle to ease motion, others have been a bit more harsh suggesting he screwed up his numbers. I didnt realise, but some guy local is building an Olga, from what i see on the site.
The problem with tender is being able to carry sail when you need it.

Dave Wright
11-17-2016, 03:42 PM
Episode 10, he says there's subject people don't often talk about, and describes how he had to crawl from the building site to his bed with a bad back. They're in touch with reality and these kids will be just fine. I'd guess they've rented the spot for cheap and live in the travel trailer. Refreshing to see young people seize the day and get what they want.

PeterSibley
11-17-2016, 05:10 PM

There was a 36 footer built here years ago, a nice boat but it sailed on it's ear. OK if you're expecting it but it was a bit of a surprise in this case.
I'd have chosen Archimedes, a LOT more form stability.