PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Syed
11-11-2016, 12:32 AM
Electoral College: Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19 (https://www.change.org/p/electoral-college-electors-electoral-college-make-hillary-clinton-president-on-december-19)

paulf
11-11-2016, 12:35 AM
Wishful thinking...but I like it!

Can't happen. Sorry.
...perhaps ..if he's impeached for fraud from Trump University...why do you tease us so Syed?

C. Ross
11-11-2016, 12:38 AM
No. There's a silly petition.

We embarrassed ourselves with "Obama is not my President." It would be appalling to give a shred of credibility to the "rigged" crowd.

Donald Trump is our President. I stand firmly with the loyal opposition.

paulf
11-11-2016, 12:40 AM

We embarrassed ourselves with "Obama is not my President." It would be appalling to give a shred of credibility to the "rigged" crowd.

Can't we just dream for a while? Why kill it so fast?

C. Ross
11-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Be my guest Paul.

Syed
11-11-2016, 01:00 AM
Wishful thinking...but I like it!

Can't happen. Sorry.
...perhaps ..if he's impeached for fraud from Trump University...why do you tease us so Syed?

Sorry, didn't mean it so.

xflow7
11-11-2016, 06:54 AM

I totally agree. I'm amazed that anyone thinks having the Electoral College vote differently than their constituency in order to put Hillary in wouldn't be a disaster. You want to talk about protests and insurrection?

Dave

Keith Wilson
11-11-2016, 08:00 AM
It's possible, in theory. It won't happen. As much as I dislike Mr Trump, it would also be a bad idea.

Jim Mahan
11-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Whether it is only the same as a protest vote for Bernie—gone and apparently wasted,* it is still a worthy thought. As topsy turvy as the whole thing has been for over a year, and as historic as some tongue-in-cheekers mention, why not 'burn the place down' for the honor of our worthy eophing country? Do we not promote 'doing the right thing' in our culture? Is not an American traditional value to get back up after being knocked down, stand up for those who can't, and to put a bully in his place? Is it not an American idea to be willing to be different, to be better, and suffer to make a change because it is the right thing to do. Would not a technically legal triumph snatched away during the presidnt-elect's two months before inauguration still be a victory for those of us who voted for Hillary, the majority of the voters?

Would it not be worth it just to see Trump steam and twist in the wind of his own petard?

In any event, a very slim bit of hope, and with it a very large potential for the actual burning down that would happen in our streets, following what Trump would have to call a rigged election, of course, is at the very least a costless but important gesture.

*Like a vote for Bernie or a write-in.

I signed the petition, and I donated to promote the petition.

If the petition actually did it's job and swayed the electors to vote for Clinton, there would no doubt be a violent protest. But it would be fundamentally different than a bunch of low info voters casting a Trump ballot because they want to crash the Washington insider government or 'stir something up.' And it would also be fundamentally different than if the general election went for Hillary, and everyone expected it to be protested by Trump for being rigged.

It would also, perhaps, give a the general electorate cause to consider not being a low info citizen.

It is more along the technically legal lines of not passing a federal budget for partisan ideological or political reasons, hurting large segments of our population, destroying valuable institutions etc with a technically legal strategy which only five percent of the population approve of in polls.

It is already a messy and painful thing. It is already 'historic,' for several reasons and some of which are as cosmetic as the First Lady-elect, and some of which are about the Great Experiment of America, and that important. This is democracy.

It ain't over. Maybe. Keep your tiny blessed fingers crossed, and maybe sign the petition.

Thanks, Syed.

Too Little Time
11-11-2016, 10:39 AM
While the electors have the right to vote as they elect, doing so will have no effect.

Congress has the right to disallow any votes they choose. Then the Congress will select a president and vice president from those who ran for office. The selection process gives 1 vote for each state and the new Congress gets to vote. Someone can do the math to figure out the result.

bobbys
11-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Can't we just dream for a while? Why kill it so fast?

If it comes down to a civil war Im just asking you shoot me in the leg rather then my head bean as we are forum buddies

Syed
11-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Link deleted.

Keith Wilson
11-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Fake news site. I mean, really; "Obama Signs Executive Order Banning The National Anthem At All Sporting Events Nationwide"? Sure, pull the other one.

The real one is http://abcnews.go.com/

paulf
11-11-2016, 01:59 PM

If it comes down to a civil war Im just asking you shoot me in the leg rather then my head bean as we are forum buddies

We'll get ya a good spot in a re-education camp, dry bunk, fair chow, hell JOP will even fly ya there!