PDA

View Full Version : My question had been "Which Trump?"

John Smith
11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
I've often asked Trump supporters which Trump they voted for.

Soon we'll know which Trump they elected.

He's on record as saying many things, and holding many positions he denies ever having said or held.

He's been for abortion and against abortion
He's been for the war and against the war
Etc.

He won, and he will be our next president.

Would his supporters like for the Dems to work with him or to block everything he wants to do, as the GOP did with Obama.

If the GOP holding all majorities does nothing, who will they blame?

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Any time Trump speaks without the benefit of a teleprompter the chance of seeing the real Trump emerge are distinctly possible.

skuthorp
11-09-2016, 09:06 PM
An ex ambassador here reckons that by his policies he's a lefty. The furthest left since WW2

B_B
11-09-2016, 09:11 PM
An ex ambassador here reckons that by his policies he's a lefty. The furthest left since WW2
This was my take at the beginning too - a lefty at heart, blustering his way to some relevance for the heck of it, some profit motive somewhere because, fundamentally, its who he is (its about the money). But since then its appeared increasingly to be about some unhinged lashing out at all those who've ever slighted him ... now that he's won I have no idea what's going to transpire and it scares me. We'll see who he actually entrusts in the next two months or so. If Christie and Guilani and Gingrich are anywhere near Washington we know we're screwed.

bobbys
11-09-2016, 09:14 PM
This was my take at the beginning too - a lefty at heart, blustering his way to some relevance for the heck of it, some profit motive somewhere because, fundamentally, its who he is (its about the money). But since then its appeared increasingly to be about some unhinged lashing out at all those who've ever slighted him ... now that he's won I have no idea what's going to transpire and it scares me. We'll see who he actually entrusts in the next two months or so. If Christie and Guilani and Gingrich are anywhere near Washington we know we're screwed.

The New President picks his team..

That's how it works.

There's always street protests you can join and chant obscenities.

JimD
11-09-2016, 09:27 PM
.. If Christie and Guilani and Gingrich are anywhere near Washington we know we're screwed.As I said in another thread, draining the swamp is one thing. But can he actually form a government without the aid of the usual gang of Republican swamp creatures?

B_B
11-09-2016, 09:32 PM
As I said in another thread, draining the swamp is one thing. But can he actually form a government without the aid of the usual gang of Republican swamp creatures?
The people he's surrounded himself with are not 'the usual gang of Republican' anything. They are the fringe, and rightly so. But I hope he surrounded himself with these twits to get elected and will surround himself with others to govern (I live in a dream world).

JimD
11-09-2016, 09:42 PM
The people he's surrounded himself with are not 'the usual gang of Republican' anything. They are the fringe, and rightly so. But I hope he surrounded himself with these twits to get elected and will surround himself with others to govern (I live in a dream world).I appreciate what you're saying, sort of. But from my point of view as a relatively casual observer, when I turn on the tv news its the faces of this so called fringe players that I see time and time again. I know who Christie, Gingrich, Guiliani are. They are household names I am familiar with. And some of those other scary clown faces from the Republican primaries, too. As for all these other sane, rational moderate conservatives that are supposedly out there, where the heck have they been for the last year or two? Or ten or twenty?

B_B
11-09-2016, 09:57 PM
I appreciate what you're saying, sort of. But from my point of view as a relatively casual observer, when I turn on the tv news its the faces of this so called fringe players that I see time and time again. I know who Christie, Gingrich, Guiliani are. They are household names I am familiar with. And some of those other scary clown faces from the Republican primaries, too. As for all these other sane, rational moderate conservatives that are supposedly out there, where the heck have they been for the last year or two? Or ten or twenty?
They're on the teevee 'cause they're 'quotable' not because they're 'notable'. They don't have a lot of influence in the RNC. But that could change pdq, depending what Trump does.

JimD
11-09-2016, 10:06 PM
They're on the teevee 'cause they're 'quotable' not because they're 'notable'. They don't have a lot of influence in the RNC. But that could change pdq, depending what Trump does.Trump has a new teevee show with a much wider audience. Who will co-star?

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-09-2016, 10:08 PM

The New President picks his team..

That's how it works.

There's always street protests you can join and chant obscenities.

Have you heard any? I have .They all came from Trump. He's probably the most obscene candidate to ever run for president. You knew that didn't you.

B_B
11-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Trump has a new teevee show with a much wider audience. Who will co-star?
That's my question - those he surrounded himself with to win the election, or those who can help make America great again. Two different sets.

"May you live in interesting times" and all.

S/V Laura Ellen
11-10-2016, 12:32 PM
That's my question - those he surrounded himself with to win the election, or those who can help make America great again. Two different sets.

"May you live in interesting times" and all.

My guess (or maybe just wishful thinking) is that he will park the clown car and get more serious about what lies ahead.
It seems he is already starting to soften his stance on a few very contentious issues.
The reality of the job will set in over the next month.

The Donald persona worked well for him during the election, but would be counter-productive running the country.

John Smith
11-10-2016, 03:09 PM
I can't help but imagine the US being the target of sanctions.

Just think of China refusing to send anything here.

skuthorp
11-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Too early to tell really. but let's hope that Rudi's recent performances are not an indication.

bobbys
11-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Have you heard any? I have .They all came from Trump. He's probably the most obscene candidate to ever run for president. You knew that didn't you.

The voters have spoken and DT has a mandate.

He should do as he well pleases as no matter what he does people like you will disagree in a vile way.

TomF
11-10-2016, 03:22 PM

The voters have spoken and DT has a mandate.

He should do as he well pleases as no matter what he does people like you will disagree in a vile way.I will support him to the degree that he acts like the Mr. Trump who gave his acceptance speech. I disagree with virtually all of his proposed policies (so far as he's actually described them beyond slogans), but he received a majority of Electoral College votes, and the mandate which comes from winning using your nation's Constitutional processes.

I will not be shy to criticize him if he begins again to insult, lie, disparage, and propose unConstititional actions - like the words he repeated in speech after speech during the Primary and Presidential election campaigns, preserved from his lips for electronic posterity. He has won the Office, now he has to respect it. I will also not be shy to criticize him if he unilaterally walks away from longstanding international commitments in which Canada and others are partners. There are consequences for seriously rattling the carefully constructed geopolitical arrangements preserved by his predecessors and their international counterparts for decades, and the consequences of ill-considered American actions aren't only going to damage America.