Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AussieBarney
    • Feb 2008

Something about some Americans,

This morning I read a thread in which "Biga" insists HRC should bear all, unto commiting political suicide.

I have no dog in the fight, having said that, the American elections have provided the best entertainment I have had in twenty years.

Biga, have you ever heard of the concept of Self preservation. Or, do you believe that all should be revealed and HRC should submit and bear her throat to allow the wolves to tear her throat out without the slightest gesture on her part of protecting herself. Mind you.... If there was a case against her, she would already be doing time. No grand Jury, No indictments, No trial. All supposition, All Gossip.
    Remembering that politics in America is a blood sport.
    As in Australia, American criminal law is adverserial (sp). The prosecution must prove their case beyond "reasonable doubt". The defendant does not have to prove innocence, In that case she has no case to answer.
    O.K. she is running for POTUS, in that case tear away. BUT...

All candidates must submit to the same scrutiny. Would Donald survive the same scrutiny, at the same intensity,.

I doubt it.

And, If you believe in the old lie "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". I reckon it is a miracle you survived into adulthood.

I know this, In my world you would be lucky to make lunch on the first day, You would get eaten

Naive is the description I would give you, Corruption is a foundation part of all politics. get used to it, it ain't going away any time soon.
  • Waddie
    • Aug 2009

Re: Something about some Americans,

Corruption is the foundation of all politics. How Machiavellian. And depressing. Democracy is a rough business all right, but the light of day exposes a lot of truths. We Americans actually respect politicians here who own up to mistakes early on, say a mea culpa, and then move on. Clinton's mistake was doing all that nasty stuff wiping servers, swearing she never had any sensitive information, and dragging her feet on the investigations. She brought on her own problems. What we won't forgive is bullshyting us, and playing games. Yet that's exactly what she did. No, we don' expect our politicians to be saints, but we do expect a level of common sense from them.

regards,
    Waddie
    I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Comment

• bobbys
      • Jun 2009

Donald Trump Gonna make America great again, don't worry it.

Comment

• Glen Longino
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by AussieBarney
        This morning I read a thread in which "Biga" insists HRC should bear all, unto commiting political suicide.

I have no dog in the fight, having said that, the American elections have provided the best entertainment I have had in twenty years.

Biga, have you ever heard of the concept of Self preservation. Or, do you believe that all should be revealed and HRC should submit and bear her throat to allow the wolves to tear her throat out without the slightest gesture on her part of protecting herself. Mind you.... If there was a case against her, she would already be doing time. No grand Jury, No indictments, No trial. All supposition, All Gossip.
        Remembering that politics in America is a blood sport.
        As in Australia, American criminal law is adverserial (sp). The prosecution must prove their case beyond "reasonable doubt". The defendant does not have to prove innocence, In that case she has no case to answer.
        O.K. she is running for POTUS, in that case tear away. BUT...

All candidates must submit to the same scrutiny. Would Donald survive the same scrutiny, at the same intensity,.

I doubt it.

And, If you believe in the old lie "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear". I reckon it is a miracle you survived into adulthood.

I know this, In my world you would be lucky to make lunch on the first day, You would get eaten

Naive is the description I would give you, Corruption is a foundation part of all politics. get used to it, it ain't going away any time soon.
        Well said, Barney!

Comment

• Glen Longino
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Waddie
          Corruption is the foundation of all politics. How Machiavellian. And depressing. Democracy is a rough business all right, but the light of day exposes a lot of truths. We Americans actually respect politicians here who own up to mistakes early on, say a mea culpa, and then move on. Clinton's mistake was doing all that nasty stuff wiping servers, swearing she never had any sensitive information, and dragging her feet on the investigations. She brought on her own problems. What we won't forgive is bullshyting us, and playing games. Yet that's exactly what she did. No, we don' expect our politicians to be saints, but we do expect a level of common sense from them.

regards,
          Waddie
          Gobbledygook, Waddie!

Comment

• Glen Longino
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bobbys
            Donald Trump Gonna make America great again, don't worry it.
            Pusillanimous Gobbledygook!

Comment

• Waddie
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Glen Longino
              Gobbledygook, Waddie!

Always the intellectual, ain't you. Welcome back, though.

regards,
              Waddie

Comment

• David G
                • Dec 2003

regards,
                Waddie
                Sometimes it's just appropriate to give as good as you get...
                David G
                Harbor Woodworks
                https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Glen Longino
                  • Jun 2008

regards,
                  Waddie
                  I'll acquiesce any day to your intellectual superiority.
                  Thanks for the welcome back! Mighty kind of you.
                  Let's not let petty politics interfere with our friendship.
                  I can use a friend about now.
                  I'm hurting out here on the prairie.
                  I'm not begging for some compassion here, but I could use some.
                  Fact is, I've always enjoyed your input around here.
                  My best wishes to you and yours.

Comment

• Waddie
                    • Aug 2009

I'll acquiesce any day to your intellectual superiority.
                    Thanks for the welcome back! Mighty kind of you.
                    Let's not let petty politics interfere with our friendship.
                    I can use a friend about now.
                    I'm hurting out here on the prairie.
                    I'm not begging for some compassion here, but I could use some.
                    Fact is, I've always enjoyed your input around here.
                    My best wishes to you and yours.

You know I'm just funnin' you. I enjoy your off beat sense of humor. I hope this place is a distraction and a break from your problems right now. And Glen, you got friends aplenty around here. "cause while you're gritty at times, you're never an asshole.

regards,
                    Waddie

Comment

• Glen Longino
                      • Jun 2008

You know I'm just funnin' you. I enjoy your off beat sense of humor. I hope this place is a distraction and a break from your problems right now. And Glen, you got friends aplenty around here. "cause while you're gritty at times, you're never an asshole.

regards,
                      Waddie
                      Ha! Scot has sometimes taken me for an a$$hole and sent me off to Hotel de Scot!
                      That said, I think it is a rare man who perceives himself accurately in his place in history. Or, No man actually knows where he is in the eyes of God(Scot) or his peers.
                      The best we can ever do is to be honest with ourselves and our pards and hope we never cause them any harm.
                      I admit I've been too honest at times with some of our members.
                      No idiot wants to be called an idiot, of course.
                      If you call an idiot an idiot, you can be banned, although most members recognize idiots as idiots.
                      Sometimes I've been guilty of assuming the role of arbiter of idiocy and suffered for it.
                      I'm working on my faults and Scot is being patient with me because he knows I'm old and frail and perishable. God bless Scot...and You!

Comment

• bobbys
                        • Jun 2009

Pusillanimous Gobbledygook!

Tick tock tick tock.......

Comment

• Glen Longino
                          • Jun 2008

Mention idiot and one pops up!

Comment

• Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
                            treetop flyer
                            • Sep 2003

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Comment

• AussieBarney
                              • Feb 2008

[QUOTE=Waddie;5052908]Corruption is the foundation of all politics. How Machiavellian. And depressing. Democracy is a rough business all right, but the light of day exposes a lot of truths. We Americans actually respect politicians here who own up to mistakes early on, say a mea culpa, and then move on. Clinton's mistake was doing all that nasty stuff wiping servers, swearing she never had any sensitive information, and dragging her feet on the investigations. She brought on her own problems. What we won't forgive is bullshyting us, and playing games. Yet that's exactly what she did. No, we don' expect our politicians to be saints, but we do expect a level of common sense from them.

Waddie,

I think the quote about corruption in politics is realistic and pragmatic. Watching the election cycle in your neck of the woods just strengthens my belief. Both sides of the debate have behaved in the most depraved and corrupt fashion. They have dragged the families into the morass just to score, regardless of the collateral damage.
                              You use the name of the most famous family in politics over the last 4 or 5 hundred years, apart from the use of poison to win their arguments how are so much different to todays crop of politicians?

In an idealistic and ideal world we could assume and want a political system that is pure and without corruption. I don't and never have lived in that utopian world. I live in a world that has abused and used me. The power structure is set up so that the rich and powerful can do that with seeming impunity.

I'm only calling it as I perceive it to be, going on what I see, hear and read.

All politicians are professional liars. They even lie to themselves. They are there to gather as much money and power they can get.

A pox on them all.

Comment

Working...