PDA

View Full Version : Yup, lost another right wing relative on facebook this morning.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Yesterday, she tagged me with a small essay her daughter wrote in her first year at college. I chose to respond to the issues brought up in the essay and not go all unicorns and rainbow sparkles great job BS. First the daughter went off on me, to which I responded politely and staying on issue. Then momma bear protecting her cub came in full force. I was called everything from an idiot and a racist as well as EVERYTHING that is wrong with this nation. I kept on issue and never resorted to hateful anger.

I responded with don't tag me if you don't want the full wrath of my verbosity :)

The twist to this story is the essay Tittled Spread Interest, Not Hate

Spread Interest, Not Hate (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/spread-interest-not-hate)
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/spread-interest-not-hate

Talks about having tolerance and compassion for those with opposing views. What was so amazing to me was how forcefully and angry and HATEFUL I was attacked by both mother and daughter.

If my relatives daughter is going to pursue writing about issues, publish them and ask for people to read them she better get used to people not giving her false platitudes. She should be able to support her position in an not attacking and open discussion.

My question with the essay was two fold. 1) she sets the premise with her political and religious convictions then asks for compassion.
2) Then the quote she uses is from Rick Warren, a Christian pastor and author was the height of hypocrisy since waren is outspoken intolerance about many liberal position like homosexuals, female reproduction rights etc. Side note I currently live about a 1/2 a block from Rick Warren's Saddleback MEGGA church. This "Cult" is more like a small college campus and has all the trappings of a full fledged cult, complete with a sole protester at the gate with a sign "This Cult Took My Family From Me"

Anyway I woke up this morning lit up my Facebook and noticed one less relative on my feed :)

bobbys
10-26-2016, 10:30 AM
JOE took another one for the team.LOL

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Was this all there is?

I know it’s a hard concept for you to grasp.
I am a Catholic, a Republican, a female, and a college student- a breed that seems to be on the verge of extinction. People question my beliefs and political stance all the time. Some even shame me. We live in a world where people choose their friends based on common ideologies and shun those with opposing ones.
One of the coolest things about college, in my opinion, is being surrounded by a sea of people with different views than my own. Growing up, I went to catholic school and was exposed to very little diversity. I had never even met an atheist before coming to college, and now I live with one. My roommate and I may have different views on religion, but we respect each other’s beliefs and are curious to learn more about them. The things she sees as proof that God does not exist are the same things I see as proof that He does. Her beliefs challenge mine, and mine hers. That’s completely okay and a natural part of human interaction.

I have an issue comprehending the amount of hate that is being spread around our world. Maybe that’s because I’m intrigued and eager to learn about other people’s views or maybe that’s because the hate is irrational. How can we discriminate against other religions, ideologies, or political parties when the only difference is our perspective?
Racism is a reoccurring topic in the media, but what about the prejudice against those who view things differently than ourselves? Race is genetic, ideology is thought up. Just like racism is immoral, so is prejudice against opposing beliefs. No one’s truths are superior to another.
Rick Warren, a Christian pastor and author, sums up my point perfectly, “Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.”
With that being said, I want to challenge you. I want to challenge you to start spreading interest instead of hate. Start asking “why” rather than dismissing the idea all together. Force yourself to start looking at things from a different perspective. I say spread interest instead of the typical “spread love” because you do not need to love someone else’s perspective, but you should respect it. Only after we spread interest and gain respect can we start to spread love and coexist.
Are you up for the challenge?

Stating the obvious and light weight.
What did you do Joe? Go all Richard Dawkins on her?

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 10:36 AM
JOE took another one for the team.LOL

I didnt go anywhere I'm still here and there. They choose to not accept the challenge they set in their original premise. They took their anger and right wing fundamentalist and their ball and went to a place where they could only hear what they wanted to hear.

With that being said, I want to challenge you. I want to challenge you to start spreading interest instead of hate. Start asking “why” rather than dismissing the idea all together. Force yourself to start looking at things from a different perspective. I say spread interest instead of the typical “spread love” because you do not need to love someone else’s perspective, but you should respect it. Only after we spread interest and gain respect can we start to spread love and coexist.
Are you up for the challenge?

Obviously the author wasn't up for the challenge:D

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 10:37 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MTUfxzNVpyoW43zT6ekK2m8yJVEc77rm1FFjw606cnFL0YKT-O2mYv59u6nVrFecvBPy8ygL_WEfybpw67sHRRo8BH7-7h5RU7lqht5vLaRKm5U3rneQyN7qUH1Ej6JI0wTNkJLAolujUd fVWZdLZ-zv6UHCX35wPcHHXx06IrfCfLegwvji1tE9iBSpLdXGVph84Rtf XzoHuSGsxDCwTzFH8kbE9_2GZjHvYHjdQUv7GItdzpvFdB2uIb QLPWyxNFQJ_erGbVIAoyv_jxGQE_ew08pTJlvJpmH63IMDcxUg 3qcwACyYIZmF0-0w0eiadFdufkL-A4aSMo2iWxQIvo3-Jr4Z4FH037MCbi6r5yd7syBxYYm1bYqxZ5u59cj5wR6MjdayhM ZaIYBFBd66_ZAZ1oJJgSJW0PNomoBMTlfMw9jUXDkKuM6w-Rs6kHgf18JUUvYfYd6yrB76Xp6ok7A3RfLxw0Iy40q-0ienRTrmpRHqUvbT1JtBRFpJPSNRCvnpQTT12YreIAxOIj6Wed FWMiDWg0UKGbnV4z5LwT8hwPj9EiZyyvbMT7aUJNY9MUUEcxif svEghSpzeak3IOysLPPeCkvdX4URJe37k9g=w480-h360-no

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Was this all there is?

Stating the obvious and light weight.
What did you do Joe? Go all Richard Dawkins on her?

I did a lil Dawkins ;)

B_B
10-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Besides the 'essay' being completely devoid of critical thought, poorly written, and vapid, what was wrong with her desire to have less hate in the world, Joe? Can't we all just get along?

ahp
10-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Judging from what I have read here and elsewhere, what is being spewed by the far right sounds like the "fifteen minutes of hate" from the novel "1984". I guess some people just have a need to hate.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-26-2016, 10:43 AM
What did you do, Joe? Go all Richard Dawkins on her?

We have a winner! Y>

BrianY
10-26-2016, 10:43 AM
I see nothing very wrong with the essay, except that it's pretty obviously the product of a young and naive mind. My objections come down to two points.

First, she hasn't considered that not all ideas are equally valid/worthy of respect. For example, ideas such as religious or racial bigotry do not deserve respect or "interest" as far as I'm concerned. Ideas that are based on complete illogic and a total absence of reason are also not deserving.

Second, it has to flow both ways. Religious people are just capable of intolerance as non-religious. If she is truly willing to be respectful of ideas that clash with her religious views and to treat such ideas as equal to or "just as good as" her own, then that's terrific. I suspect, however, that the guy she quoted wouldn't agree with that view.

wizbang 13
10-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I mock RWW crap on FB regularly.
The downside of it is more and more of it shows up because of the way facebook works.
I wind up FB'ing more with my Teabagger sister and hardly "seeing" the majority of my progressive Democrat family.

biga
10-26-2016, 10:51 AM
i wouldn't be "proud" of running off your own family members. if you want to take the stance of "look at me, i'm intellectually and morally superior to you" then you should have had the morals and intellect to interface with your relatives so as to not disenfranchise yourself from them. but, "congratulations" i guess?

Canoez
10-26-2016, 10:52 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MTUfxzNVpyoW43zT6ekK2m8yJVEc77rm1FFjw606cnFL0YKT-O2mYv59u6nVrFecvBPy8ygL_WEfybpw67sHRRo8BH7-7h5RU7lqht5vLaRKm5U3rneQyN7qUH1Ej6JI0wTNkJLAolujUd fVWZdLZ-zv6UHCX35wPcHHXx06IrfCfLegwvji1tE9iBSpLdXGVph84Rtf XzoHuSGsxDCwTzFH8kbE9_2GZjHvYHjdQUv7GItdzpvFdB2uIb QLPWyxNFQJ_erGbVIAoyv_jxGQE_ew08pTJlvJpmH63IMDcxUg 3qcwACyYIZmF0-0w0eiadFdufkL-A4aSMo2iWxQIvo3-Jr4Z4FH037MCbi6r5yd7syBxYYm1bYqxZ5u59cj5wR6MjdayhM ZaIYBFBd66_ZAZ1oJJgSJW0PNomoBMTlfMw9jUXDkKuM6w-Rs6kHgf18JUUvYfYd6yrB76Xp6ok7A3RfLxw0Iy40q-0ienRTrmpRHqUvbT1JtBRFpJPSNRCvnpQTT12YreIAxOIj6Wed FWMiDWg0UKGbnV4z5LwT8hwPj9EiZyyvbMT7aUJNY9MUUEcxif svEghSpzeak3IOysLPPeCkvdX4URJe37k9g=w480-h360-no

Cat got your tongue?

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 11:05 AM
i wouldn't be "proud" of running off your own family members. if you want to take the stance of "look at me, i'm intellectually and morally superior to you" then you should have had the morals and intellect to interface with your relatives so as to not disenfranchise yourself from them. but, "congratulations" i guess?

Obviously you're not up for the challenge. :D

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Cat got your tongue?An interesting phrase.

Cat Got Your Tongue?

Meaning/Usage: Used when someone has nothing to say

Explanation: One explanation is that a long time ago, a witches cat would steal the tongue of a person to prevent them from telling others. However, this is only a tale and there are many guesses where this idiomatic phrase came from.

Nothing to add to what Joe has said. She wasn't up to her own challenge. Not by a mile.

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 11:18 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by biga http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=5046036#post5046036)

Who was it took their ball home, crying foul?

CWSmith
10-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Odd. I am also a Catholic and a liberal and I don't care what anyone thinks of my religious beliefs.

However, how anyone who professes to be a Republican opposed to hate while the top of the ticket is running on every form of prejudice he can tap into is beyond me.

Maybe she will grow up and maybe she won't. I have decided not to remain silent in an effort to not offend people who are just plain wrong.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I have decided not to remain silent in an effort to not offend people who are just plain wrong.

My point exactly. How come the WBF knows me and my family is completely unaware ;)

JimD
10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
I recently ended a facebook friendship with an acquaintance of 50 years. Anyone with his political views is not my friend, even if we did go to grade school together. A simple case of good riddance.

CWSmith
10-26-2016, 11:43 AM
My point exactly. How come the WBF knows me and my family is completely unaware ;)

You don't really want an answer to that question, do you? :)

When I was growing up, the ability to talk with people who disagreed with you was considered a necessary social skill. We lost that somewhere and adopted a type of scorched earth behavior that leaves everyone burned.

LeeG
10-26-2016, 11:45 AM
I would take her letter as a bit of projection and seeking validation asking others to do what she is experiencing. Recognizing the spirit of the letter and it's conflicted position I don't think she is really seeking a response that challenges her beliefs. I don't see the upside to losing family unless they're bad for you.

biga
10-26-2016, 11:45 AM
You don't really want an answer to that question, do you? :)

When I was growing up, the ability to talk with people who disagreed with you was considered a necessary social skill. We lost that somewhere and adopted a type of scorched earth behavior that leaves everyone burned.

leave joe alone. if he wants to bathe in the glory of running off his own family, so be it.

bobbys
10-26-2016, 11:53 AM
I did a lil Dawkins ;).

I have his book right here and reviewing Yer posts I can assure you , you are no Dawkins..lol

RonW
10-26-2016, 12:00 PM
It would appear that there are those who think (***) is lacking in social skills.........well who would've ever thought such a thing........

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 12:06 PM
do we really want a self centered egotistical bully to represent us ?Trump is not a member of this forum and has not been nominated for BROTM.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-26-2016, 12:11 PM
It's hard to be King Joe.
Somebody has to do it.

delecta
10-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Life is short, family is important. You accomplished nothing positive, other then stroke yourself. Be proud little man.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Life is short, family is important. You accomplished nothing positive, other then stroke yourself. Be proud little man.
Thank you I am

Maybe your life is getting short old man mine has just begun ;) My true friends have always been more inportant than most of my family.I choose them and they stand by me through thick and thin.

biga
10-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Thank you I am

Maybe your life is getting short old man mine has just begun ;) My true friends have always been more inportant than most of my family.I choose them and they stand by me through thick and thin.

all i gathered from that was "i can only be around people just like myself". that's not an attribute to be proud of.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Actually thats the whole thing your not getting. I didnt un-friend them I NEVER do that. I have a lot of right wing Trump family and friends on my feed ( well less and less these days ;) ) I prefer not to hear the echo of my own opinions. They chose to disengage from the open dialog because it didnt fit their pre determined need for platitudes. Almost every right wing unfriending has occurred because they couldn't hold their own in an intelligent discussion or hold their temper.

The ironic thing is the crux of the essay was to be tolerant and they couldn't be. I find that fact amusing . :D

delecta
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Thank you I am

We're the same age, making a stand against someone that is young and related makes no sense other then to give you something to post on social media, actually pretty sad. You could have taken the opportunity to explain why you thought she was wrong in a loving way and tried to understand her reasoning for her position, it sounds like you did a selfie, shocking.

And then to brag about it, so small of you. :D

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Isn't it touching? All this red sympathy?

:D LMAO :D

biga
10-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Actually thats the whole thing your not getting. I didnt un-friend them I NEVER do that. I have a lot of right wing Trump family and friends on my feed I prefer not to hear the echo of my own opinions. They chose to disengage from the open dialog because it didnt fit their pre determined need for platitudes. Almost every right wing unfriending has occurred because they couldn't hold their own in an intelligent discussion or their temper.

The ironic thing is the crux of the essay was to be tolerant and they couldn't be. I find that fact amusing . :D

so you acted like such a jackass that you ran them off, but it's their fault? oh, i gotcha now.

joe, you picked on a 20 something year old little girl and ran her out of your life. you're on the internet bragging about it. step away from your keyboard for a minute and see if any of that sinks in.

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Dunning-Kruger

Canoez
10-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Smells sorta like a partisan pissing-contest in here. :rolleyes:

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Smells sorta like a partisan pissing-contest in here. :rolleyes:

Yep, the RW posse are criticizing Joe for something some one else (who sounds like a RWW) did.:confused:

biga
10-26-2016, 12:58 PM
i'm a loud mouthed drunk but YOU left me so it's YOUR problem. joe logic.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Again I didn't run anybody off I just didnt blow sparkles, rainbows and unicorns up their arse. I was polite, discussed the issues, they got VERY nasty, personal insults and all ( Similar to what we are seeing in this thread with the other RWW ;) LOL ) and then THEY ran off on their own .

biga
10-26-2016, 01:02 PM
right, that's doesn't sound one sided AT ALL. that's also how i like to get all off my stories, from just that one side... the one that's right.

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 01:03 PM
then THEY ran off on their own .You're gonna have to repeat this a few more times for the reds to get it.

Canoez
10-26-2016, 01:04 PM
i'm a loud mouthed drunk...

Now, now. AA is always there for you.

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Anyway I woke up this morning lit up my Facebook and noticed one less relative on my feed :)

Who was it took their ball home, crying foul?

Actually thats the whole thing your not getting. I didnt un-friend them I NEVER do that.

Yep, the RW posse are criticizing Joe for something some one else (who sounds like a RWW) did.:confused:

THEY ran off on their own .

You're gonna have to repeat this a few more times for the reds to get it.

They won't comprehend what disagrees with their prejudice.

biga
10-26-2016, 01:21 PM
They won't comprehend what disagrees with their prejudice.

if you kick your buddy in the nuts and he takes his ball and goes home.... whose fault is it that the ball is no longer there?

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 01:25 PM
I give up, biga just doesnt get it. I politely discussed the issue. I never was hostile, nasty or kicked anyone in the balls. Contrarily, they quickly allowed their temper rise and swiftly kicked me in my balls took their ball and went home.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Smells like 'management discretion' is gonna haft kick in and {poof!} this thread, Joe. Those that disagree with you ain't about to let it go nor play nice. It will probably get worse as they worry the topic like a cat with a mouse. BTW, I have relatives-in-law who act pretty much the same as your relatives. As Robin Williams said, "Joke 'em if they can't take a ****!"

I'm smelling it too mmd ;)

John of Phoenix
10-26-2016, 01:31 PM
She professes tolerance then goes nuts at any criticism. reds don't see hypocrisy because it's the way they live their lives. They've become immune to it.

biga
10-26-2016, 01:35 PM
i see everyone is fine with ONE side of this story! hey joe, if you ever need any alibi witnesses john and peerie will say whatever you tell them to say.

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 01:38 PM
I give up, biga just doesnt get it. I politely discussed the issue. I never was hostile, nasty or kicked anyone in the balls. Contrarily, they quickly allowed their temper rise and swiftly kicked me in my balls took their ball and went home.

Lock it Joe, Let it sink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfWOzzy381Y

CWSmith
10-26-2016, 01:39 PM
all i gathered from that was "i can only be around people just like myself". that's not an attribute to be proud of.

I guess you missed the sentence at the end of the OP:

You seem confused on who cannot be around who.

Sorry. What I meant to say is <ignore>.

biga
10-26-2016, 01:46 PM

and this confuses you? "My true friends have always been more inportant than most of my family.I choose them and they stand by me through thick and thin."

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 01:50 PM

And still they double down.

biga
10-26-2016, 01:52 PM
well did he or did he not say that he prefers the company of the people he chooses to be around and not family of which you have no choice?

bobbys
10-26-2016, 01:53 PM
i see everyone is fine with ONE side of this story! hey joe, if you ever need any alibi witnesses john and peerie will say whatever you tell them to say.

All I take from it is that JOE, a 50. ? Year old man cannot out debate a young girl , does not give the whole story, throws his family under the bus and is proud of all of it.,.

Chauk up a " win" here because his groupies will back him up, .

Now JOE it may seem as though I'm hard on you but my daughter did not speak to me for a week after I put a Trump sticker on MY, yes MY jeep she took from me.LOL

John Smith
10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Yesterday, she tagged me with a small essay her daughter wrote in her first year at college. I chose to respond to the issues brought up in the essay and not go all unicorns and rainbow sparkles great job BS. First the daughter went off on me, to which I responded politely and staying on issue. Then momma bear protecting her cub came in full force. I was called everything from an idiot and a racist as well as EVERYTHING that is wrong with this nation. I kept on issue and never resorted to hateful anger.

I responded with don't tag me if you don't want the full wrath of my verbosity :)

The twist to this story is the essay Tittled Spread Interest, Not Hate

Spread Interest, Not Hate (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/spread-interest-not-hate)
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/spread-interest-not-hate

Talks about having tolerance and compassion for those with opposing views. What was so amazing to me was how forcefully and angry and HATEFUL I was attacked by both mother and daughter.

If my relatives daughter is going to pursue writing about issues, publish them and ask for people to read them she better get used to people not giving her false platitudes. She should be able to support her position in an not attacking and open discussion.

My question with the essay was two fold. 1) she sets the premise with her political and religious convictions then asks for compassion.
2) Then the quote she uses is from Rick Warren, a Christian pastor and author was the height of hypocrisy since waren is outspoken intolerance about many liberal position like homosexuals, female reproduction rights etc. Side note I currently live about a 1/2 a block from Rick Warren's Saddleback MEGGA church. This "Cult" is more like a small college campus and has all the trappings of a full fledged cult, complete with a sole protester at the gate with a sign "This Cult Took My Family From Me"

Funny kind of tolerance, isn't it?

Reynard38
10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
320,000,000 people in this country. Can't meet them all. Why be friends with ones you don't like?

biga
10-26-2016, 01:56 PM
320,000,000 people in this country. Can't meet them all. Why be friends with ones you don't like?

b/c they're your family?

John Smith
10-26-2016, 02:00 PM
I recently ended a facebook friendship with an acquaintance of 50 years. Anyone with his political views is not my friend, even if we did go to grade school together. A simple case of good riddance.

Some may remember, back in 2002 or so, I posted that my son-in-law and his brother got into an actual fist fight, in front of my young grandsons, on New year's eve over G.W. When we have a family get together we cannot talk politics, as war will break out.

His parents asked me at one get together, as we were about to invade Iraq, what I thought. I told them I did not believe Saddam had any WMD's, that he was not threat to anyone outside a small area of his country, the the 'war' would be quick, but the 'peace' will be hell.

THEY GOT SO ANGRY they had to stand up to curse me out. What bothers me about that is they never said, "Gee, you were right."

bobbys
10-26-2016, 02:03 PM
She professes tolerance then goes nuts at any criticism. reds don't see hypocrisy because it's the way they live their lives. They've become immune to it.

7 back up brown nose posts?.

Have you not polished that Apple enough?

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 02:07 PM

7 back up brown nose posts?.

Have you not polished that Apple enough?

I'm loved cause I don't whine :)

Tom Montgomery
10-26-2016, 02:08 PM
If family and friends choose to direct their unsolicited political opinions at me they will get my unvarnished political opinion directed at them in turn.

If they are offended by my honest and unvarnished response it will hopefully discourage them from continuing to direct their unsolicited political opinion at me.

Frankly, my friends and family do no such thing. Of course, my interactions with them are almost entirely face-to-face or over the telephone rather than through internet "social media" channels.

Bob Cleek
10-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Not to worry, Joe. A student about to be a sophomore is entitled to say sophomoric things. She will probably figure out that her belief that "No one’s truths are superior to another." is wrong the first time she tries that one on a professor that gives her a crummy grade. As for her Republicanism, she'll probably realize the error of that the first time somebody gropes her or she gets her first student loan bill. And she'll learn her old man isn't such a bad guy as soon as her allowance runs out. Life is long. Hers is just starting out.

Send her a copy of the saying (incorrectly attributed to Mark Twain,) "At at seventeen I could scarcely endure my father, the old gentleman was so ignorant; at twenty I noticed that my father said a sensible thing occasionally; at twenty-five I was astonished at the improvement he had made in the last eight years."

Canoez
10-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Well, just because you share one corner of the gene pool doesn't mean you're necessarily going to share the same values or be friends.

skuthorp
10-26-2016, 03:25 PM
My father had similar confrontations with his family long before WW2, as consequence I know none of my relations on that side. Everyone carried a grudge. One of my nephews married into a cult, they don't talk to anyone but fortunately for me I don't care a jot. Feel sorry for their kids though. Boy I'm glad I never had kids.

Canoeyawl
10-26-2016, 03:36 PM
i'm a loud mouthed drunk...

Really?

LeeG
10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
b/c they're your family?

It's worth being civil with family but that doesn't mean they can be friends.

AussieBarney
10-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Here's a question,
Who died and said that you must put up with crap just because it comes from someone who shares your DNA?

I have seven siblings and I cannot stand to be in the same room as five of them, violence would erupt within a dozen heartbeats.

having a functional family is a luxury a lot of people don't have. Yes, It would be nice, BUT, it ain't gonna happen. Mix in religion and politics and families fall apart real quick.

It's called "Growing Up and making your own way in the world.

Good on ya Joe, You handled the situation with a whole grace and dignity than I could have

bobbys
10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
If JOE wanted to have a teachable moment he could have put on his mad men suit and taught the young girl how to build a real estate empire.

jackster
10-26-2016, 04:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfWOzzy381Y[/QUOTE]

Jeepers Nick, that is one depressing song. I now need to recover for awhile! Thanks, (I think!??)

Peerie Maa
10-26-2016, 04:52 PM
It's worth being civil with family but that doesn't mean they can be friends.

Yep, you pick or earn your friends. Relatives get foisted on to you.

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 04:56 PM
If JOE wanted to have a teachable moment he could have put on his mad men suit and taught the young girl how to build a real estate empire.

Boobieys you are one weird dude!

bobbys
10-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Boobieys you are one weird dude!.

You are not living off the rents or sales of Yer real estate empire.?.

I must have read Yer posts wrong.

Excuse me .

Joe (SoCal)
10-26-2016, 05:27 PM
For someone who keeps such copious notes on me, to the point of almost becoming an obsessive stalker, you certainly know very little about me. ;)

Oh and yea you are one weird dude

bobbys
10-26-2016, 07:00 PM
For someone who keeps such copious notes on me, to the point of almost becoming an obsessive stalker, you certainly know very little about me. ;)

Oh and yea you are one weird dude

Give a guy a compliment and thats what you get..

Why yam I " wierd" for following Yer exploits?..

. JOE, you have changed since you left Jersey! LOl

Waddie
10-26-2016, 07:58 PM
We're the same age, making a stand against someone that is young and related makes no sense other then to give you something to post on social media, actually pretty sad. You could have taken the opportunity to explain why you thought she was wrong in a loving way and tried to understand her reasoning for her position, it sounds like you did a selfie, shocking.

Well said. Could have been a teaching moment.

regards,
Waddie

Peerie Maa
10-27-2016, 07:53 AM

If you read the sense of Joe's post, rather than jerking the knee, you will see that Joe tried a teaching moment. Turned out she did not want to learn.

I chose to respond to the issues brought up in the essay and not go all unicorns and rainbow sparkles great job BS. First the daughter went off on me, to which I responded politely and staying on issue What bit of this did you not read?

Breakaway
10-27-2016, 08:51 AM
I chose to respond to the issues brought up in the essay and not go all unicorns and rainbow sparkles great job BS. First the daughter went off on me, to which I responded politely and staying on issue

If you had done this privately, via a phone call or PM, that could be the case. But to publicly " teach" her comes off as demeaning behavior intended to put her down and raise you up. Based on the description of events, that is how I see it.

Kevin

Peerie Maa
10-27-2016, 08:54 AM
If you had done this privately, via a phone call or PM, that could be the case. But to publicly " teach" her comes off as demeaning behavior intended to put her down and raise you up. Based on the description of events, that is how I see it.

Kevin

FB has a private messaging facility. Just saying.;)

biga
10-27-2016, 09:51 AM
FB has a private messaging facility. Just saying.;)

Yesterday, she tagged me with a small essay her daughter wrote in her first year at college. I chose to respond to the issues brought up in the essay and not go all unicorns and rainbow sparkles great job BS. First the daughter went off on me, to which I responded politely and staying on issue. Then momma bear protecting her cub came in full force.

if you're "tagged" on something and respond to it, it's not a PM. this is also evidenced by the fact that multiple persons were responding to him.

look, he acted like a jackleg, thought he could run in here and brag about it, and got called out on it.

amish rob
10-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Joe,
This is totally your fault. Don't be facebooking with people!:D

Most of my nieces and nephews don't talk to me, and nor do their folks. And, for those who have read my posts, I'm even NICER and more plain oatmeal in real life.
Sometimes people just don't want to hear what you have to say, though, even if they solicit your opinion. And, people can get very upset if you question their beliefs or actions...

Sorry, Joe, that an ideological discussion had to devolve into an ugly thing. I wish you all peace, time to reflect, and hope one day you can all laugh about this incident.

Peace,
Robert

CK 17
10-27-2016, 10:49 AM
unlike my friends here in the bilge, I have to interact with my family from time to time at holidays, funerals and visits. Blood is thicker than water and all that stuff

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Kevin

The issue was that I was TAGGED along with 50 other relatives and friends on this sophomoric essay. Which meant I was notified every single time time some inane other person responded with some gregarious nauseating platitude, complete with smoke, mirrors and unicorn fairy dust. So I chose to be bold and in the spirit of the essay challenge some of the issues presented.

I did however get a FEW PM's in response most of which would ban worthy if I were to repost them here.

I did try the teachable moment and with good intentions but it fell on completely deaf ears filled with anger and resentment. What I came away is while she wrote an essay on tolerance and they cheered that essay the were completely unable to elevate themselves to the premise outlined in it.

biga
10-27-2016, 12:31 PM
a sophomoric essay from... a SOPHOMORE by any chance? hey, i'm happy you ran her into the ground and out of your life. more time for those cats that always love you no matter what.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 12:45 PM
a sophomoric essay from... a SOPHOMORE by any chance? hey, i'm happy you ran her into the ground and out of your life. more time for those cats that always love you no matter what.

Since you don't know the exchange your assumptions are "Juvenile" :D

The truth of the matter is the "Freshman" came back pretty verbose and angry and ran me into the ground that I dare question her logic. She and her mother Unfriended ME. Somehow I don't think you're going to get that no matter how often it's repeated.

As for cat's, I'm more of a dog guy. I mean I like them, but I'm allergic. :D I prefer to look at it as more time enjoying my friends :D

John Smith
10-27-2016, 12:49 PM
I have found the only successful way to change minds is by asking questions.

As I've posted before, I had a conversation with a guy who was quite convinced that all the Canadians cross the border for their healthcare needs. I asked, "How do they pay for it?" That made him think.

biga
10-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Since you don't know the exchange your assumptions are "Juvenile" :D

The truth of the matter is the "Freshman" came back pretty verbose and angry and ran me into the ground that I dare question her logic. She and her mother Unfriended ME. Somehow I don't think you're going to get that o matter how often it's repeated.

As for cat's, I'm more of a dog guy. I mean I like them, but I'm allergic. :D I prefer to look at it as more time enjoying my friends :D

i can't believe you ran into the ONE person that doesn't like your narcissistic tone and passive aggressive conversational skills. give me her email address so that i can tell her how wrong she was and how she should be working up a letter of thanks for the wonderful service you tried to provide for her.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hun what ??? Sorry you lost me, I must have fell asleep trying to read you silly ad hominem post :D. You have to excuse me I've been on this forum a loooooong time so I've heard every version of this narcissistic attack from every forum troll. Most of which I've out lasted and either have a lifetime ban of just died away. ;)

But thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation. Well done, good job here's a gold star.

http://www.smashthehsc.com/uploads/3/0/8/2/30822773/2407724_orig.png

biga
10-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hun what ??? Sorry you lost me, I must have fell asleep trying to read you silly ad hominem post. You have to excuse me I've been on this forum a loooooong time so I've heard every version of this narcissistic attack don't like Joe thread from every forum troll most of which I've out lasted and either have a lifetime ban of just died away.

But thanks for contributing nothing to the conversation. Well done, good job here's a gold star.

http://www.smashthehsc.com/uploads/3/0/8/2/30822773/2407724_orig.png

so you're repeatedly hearing it, yet still dismissing it. at some point you might stop and think "HEY, the problem might be ME". you'll get there some day. godspeed

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 01:09 PM
I hear from the occasion forum wacko's that don't last long here are generally tolerated but not appreciated. Psssst here's a hint if your post's are on the fringe you're probably one of those people. ;)

http://blog.funnewjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ten-things-you-didnt-know-about-nj.jpg

biga
10-27-2016, 01:14 PM
see, now THAT'S those narcissistic and passive aggressive conversational skills that dimwitted relative of yours should come to appreciate. i mean, who would want to pour all their efforts out if they didn't have anyone come around to urinate all over it?

RonW
10-27-2016, 01:16 PM
so you're repeatedly hearing it, yet still dismissing it. at some point you might stop and think "HEY, the problem might be ME". you'll get there some day. godspeed

No he won't........hell he is around 50 years old and only 5 feet tall, so he has the little big man syndrome....he won't ever get it......

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Yea the Trolls are all here.

My work here is done :D :D :D - Off to buy Ella a Halloween costume for Yappy Hour at the Ritz Carlton In Laguna tonight.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/california/laguna-niguel/hotel-overview/press-releases/yappy-hour-returns

biga
10-27-2016, 01:30 PM
joe, i've changed my tune buddy. the way you (a 50 year old man) took down that stupid relative (19 year old girl) was amazing. truly a feat to be admired and celebrated. i mean, the way you embarrassed her on social media in front of her family and friends was just pure genius. KUDOS my good man.

skuthorp
10-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Hah, reading all this I am again amused. Let's just say that 'family can be somewhat over rated.

RonW
10-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Joe is tough, and he doesn't take any flack off of them wacko rightie KIDS.

skuthorp
10-27-2016, 03:19 PM
The bilge is just conversation, and selective at that. And Very selective at times. There are many I do not engage with, but no one on formal 'ignore', I don't take what others post dow here seriously enough for that
Re Family, I have quite a few cousins who lived and died before I met any of them. And others I see maybe once a year. Selective.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Joe is tough, and he doesn't take any flack off of them wacko rightie KIDS.

'Twas the mother that was far more verbose and spewed out far more hate. She posted that I was a ignorant, racist and what is wrong with this nation, and a few more things bannable on this forum. Even though her comments were childish she is in her mid 40's, just to set the record straight:D

RonW
10-27-2016, 03:36 PM
'Twas the mother that was far more verbose and spewed out far more hate. She posted that I was a ignorant, racist and what is wrong with this nation, and a few more things bannable on this forum. Even though her comments were childish she is in her mid 40's, just to set the record straight:D

Well I can understand how you feel joe......and you gotta defend yourself, even against women and children. But what if she is right ?

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 03:41 PM
You do relize you are about one ignorant post away from being ignored by the entire forum ? That's quite an accomplishment.

RonW
10-27-2016, 03:49 PM
You do relize you are about one ignorant post away from being ignored by the entire forum ? That's quite an accomplishment.

That just breaks my heart Joe, I will be good .......but you gotta stop beating up on women and children and then bragging about it........it just doesn't look good......you know what I mean..

John of Phoenix
10-27-2016, 03:51 PM
MAN, talk about trolling up the reds! Well done, Joe.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 03:57 PM
MAN, talk about trolling up the reds! Well done, Joe.

Yes but wouldnt be wonderful the reds unfriended us on the WBF :D

Tom Montgomery
10-27-2016, 04:04 PM
My family consists of reasonable adults who realize sex, religion, and politics are divisive issues unfit for discussion amongst family members... unless one WISHES to risk alienation.

My great god... how difficult is that to fathom?

TomF
10-27-2016, 04:05 PM
.......but you gotta stop beating up on women and children and then bragging about it........it just doesn't look good......you know what I mean..You should maybe tweet this to @RealDonaldTrump.

Breakaway
10-27-2016, 04:08 PM
So, she didn't post this to your page and say words like, " Hey Uncle Joe, read this is and weep!," did she? In fact, the niece didn't even post it, the mom did, yes? If she, herself, had posted it--and posted it "at" you--I might see it your way.

Which meant I was notified every single time time some inane other person responded with some gregarious nauseating platitude, complete with smoke, mirrors and unicorn fairy dust.

This quote tells me you were resentful and itching for confrontation before you even read the piece.

I don't think this was your finest moment.

Kevin

Peerie Maa
10-27-2016, 04:11 PM
^ You really do not like Joe, do you?

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Nope Kevin I always do my due diligence and read the essay first. Then kept quiet, then got pinged left and right with other facebook platitudes for the essay. To tell the truth when I read it I was hopeful that it would be something that I could throw some fairy dust and unicorn farts at. It wasn't.

But your are closer than most understanding the dynamics of the situation. ;)

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 04:16 PM
^ You really do not like Joe, do you? :D

Breakaway
10-27-2016, 04:35 PM
^ You really do not like Joe, do you?

Au contraire. I like, Joe. That is why I am providing honest, thoughtful, well-considered responses.

Kevin

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Au contraire. I like, Joe. That is why I am providing honest, thoughtful, well-considered responses.

Kevin

I agree, thanks Kevin.
I hope I've filled in any of your possible preconceived gaps in your analysis ;)

Peerie Maa
10-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Kevin

So, she didn't post this to your page and say words like, " Hey Uncle Joe, read this is and weep!," did she? In fact, the niece didn't even post it, the mom did, yes? If she, herself, had posted it--and posted it "at" you--I might see it your way.

This quote tells me you were resentful and itching for confrontation before you even read the piece.

I don't think this was your finest moment.

Kevin

Kevin

I'd hate to see you going for the jugular. ;)

RonW
10-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Hey Joe, do you think this is a vast right wing conspiracy against you ? Maybe even the same group that has hassled poor Hillary .

TomF
10-27-2016, 04:49 PM
You're not near so vast as you imagine. ;)

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Not vast at all ;)

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 04:53 PM

The "dynamic" is you are a bully.

You're dynamic

And like I said you are one weird Dude :D

Tom Montgomery
10-27-2016, 04:56 PM
The "dynamic" is you are a bully.
I cannot WAIT for November to arrive! :D

bobbys
10-27-2016, 05:01 PM
You're dynamic

And like I said you are one weird Dude :D

Weird dude with great hair!:d.

LOTS of hair!

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Weird dude with great hair!:d.

LOTS of hair!

Photo or it never happened ;)

bobbys
10-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Photo or it never happened ;)

You will have to look for me with Angelina on this forum....

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 05:09 PM

You will have to look for me with Angelina on this forum....

Don't have time, as mentioned in this thread life is too short.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10985218_10204886445974382_8458473210821235643_n.j pg?oh=865400c8119c1e896de43a1b65f2e70a&oe=58A833E0

Mwaaaaa :)

Put up or shut up princess ;)

Chip-skiff
10-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Mwaaaaa :)

Sealed with a kiss! (I love those old songs.)

Back to the chase, this thread demonstrates why I don't do politics on FaceBook, which for me is the means to stay in touch (albeit limited) with my relatives, most of whom are either strict Mormons, RWWs, or both. When one of them gets bent way out of shape, like Cousin Bradley the Furious Gun Nut, I quietly unfriend them— no tussles.

My friends and art-pals, by contrast, are mostly pretty far left. They post political stuff in a steady stream, preaching to the choir. I might respond in a positive way, but not on my timeline.

It's a balancing act, for sure. But my Facebook page is a thing, not me.

Robbie 2
10-27-2016, 07:08 PM
This is why I don't do Facebook AT ALL.
But I do like Joe.

Joe (SoCal)
10-27-2016, 07:17 PM
I post very few political Bwaa ha ha's ® but predominately leave facebook to fun lighthearted, food and social non political posts. I have a more than a few Right Wingers, a couple of looney libertarians, a modicum of Trumpets, more liberals but mostly a bunch of I don't know's, because they don't post politics.

All I know is the ONLY people that get angry and go a little crazy and unfriend me are the rabid right wingers. So now I have less of them on my feed by their own hand might i add. ;)

Ed Harrow
10-28-2016, 08:07 AM
Karen?

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2016, 08:28 AM
Karen?

Yup.

bobbys
10-28-2016, 09:31 AM
You really do have an infatuation with Joe, don't you bobbys. Pop over to the dog costume thread and you can get further excited by a pic of Joe showing his bare legs. Take a tissue with you to wipe up your mess..

Howsabout I go over to the gloating thread.

bobbys
10-28-2016, 09:51 AM
I could care less, bobbys. Really.

cared enough to come over here as his wingman..lol

TomF
10-28-2016, 11:11 AM

WOW! Gives a little more insight of how you must have taunted shag Rocky there.Only Shaggy's posts are missing; go see for yourself.

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Hey mmd are you smell the same poofing of this thread by the almighty hand of scot on the horizon soon ? I do :D
FWIW I Don't think I've ever closed or deleted a thread because I didn't like the content. Kinda like I never unfriend anyone on facebook. ;)
I have rhino skin ;)

amish rob
10-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Oh, Joe, maybe a little sun damage, sure, but your skin doesn't look that rough... Oh. ;)

Peace,
Robert

bobbys
10-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Hey mmd are you smell the same poofing of this thread by the almighty hand of scot on the horizon soon ? I do :D
FWIW I Don't think I've ever closed or deleted a thread because I didn't like the content. Kinda like I never unfriend anyone on facebook. ;)
I have rhino skin ;)

Call in backup next time a young girl gets uppity.

beernd
10-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Hey Joe, do you think this is a vast right wing conspiracy against you ? Maybe even the same group that has hassled poor Hillary .

Your comments are getting crazierder and deperaterder, and don't you dare coming down on me for my bad english.
I will howl bl@@dy murder :rolleyes:

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Call in backup next time a young girl gets uppity.

GFY (good for you ) ;)

TomF
10-28-2016, 01:33 PM
He's lost all traction, Joe; might as well let him keep spinning his wheels until he runs out of gas...Like a Canadian car chase? :D

TomF
10-28-2016, 03:08 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/00/c1/ea/00c1ea46e395429cadace9c4203738e5.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwikpsjOpv7PAhXIxYMKHZubC1QQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F269653 096418453924%2F&psig=AFQjCNHPn6P9AzgJ_pICrykYB5zinb4-cA&ust=1477771608807967)

Daniel Noyes
10-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Clinton Email scandal, CASE CLOSED with NO criminal indictments... oh hang on a minute :D

John of Phoenix
10-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Eventually somebody will squash you, and we will all be happier that you are not buzzing around us grown-ups any more.

He does a great job of squashing himself, actually. Most reds do.

Tom Montgomery
10-28-2016, 04:18 PM
No. You merely strive to annoy on the internet.

Equally cowardly given your chosen anonymity.

Tom Montgomery
10-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Oh Joy! You have me in one of your files!

Get back to me when you decide to post under your real name and face up to the adults in the room.

John of Phoenix
10-28-2016, 04:55 PM
You're not just a whiner, you're a paranoid whiner. No one threatened you. Smarten up, alvin.

bobbys
10-28-2016, 04:57 PM
JOE PMd for back up.

LOL

Joe (SoCal)
10-28-2016, 05:11 PM
JOE PMd for back up.

LOL

Lie :mad::mad::mad: par for the course
Are you feeling the love ? ;)

CWSmith
10-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Lie :mad::mad::mad: par for the course
Are you feeling the love ? ;)

Every wish you could lose your right-wing stalkers as easily as you lose your right-wing relatives? :)