PDA

View Full Version : Mr Brennans thread

Peerie Maa
10-25-2016, 06:21 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?213928-Scurrilous-and-apposite-names-for-Das-Trumpfster-in-print

Reminded me that in the UK insults can have a regional element to their usage. E.g. calling someone a "doughnut" is Scottish, and not much used in England.

Is there a regional element to American derogatory descriptors?

Breakaway
10-25-2016, 08:01 AM
I think, here, the difference lies more in delivery, than in content. For example: " Son of a B1tch" = " S'um B1tch"

That said, neighboring states often chide each other, eg: "Mainiacs and Massholes."

Kevin

amish rob
10-25-2016, 09:46 AM
I think what happens here, well I know it happens in my Here, but I sort of meant the USA here, not just my little area, is we English speakers adopt the swears of foreign languages.

For example, I know how to swear in Mexicano, Azorean Portuguese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Laos, Hmong, Armenian, and Tagalog. Oops, I know a few in Farsi, too, oh and Swedish.
Generally the people "in the know" use the foreign swear words against those not in the know.

This method allows people to be cursed mightily and never know it.:)

Peace,
Robert

lupussonic
10-25-2016, 10:15 AM
I dunno, the French can hold their own really. I'm not sure if I'd get banned for doing it here.

Perhaps they don't have many subtle variations, such as 'Twit', 'Tw*t', 'Tit', and 'Twerp'.

I love the Scottish put-down...'Ya Tube!'.

Peerie Maa
10-25-2016, 10:21 AM
You are sailing tooo close to the wind with your second example, you should delete it.
All though they all share several letters, they all refer to different things.

lupussonic
10-25-2016, 10:23 AM
My second example can mean several things, I meant the lighter insult...'idiot'.

I have added an asterix, if that softens the blow.

bobbys
10-25-2016, 10:23 AM
In NJ ...Go /:;( yourself is a pleasent compliment .

When I left NJ I found out when they say... Have a nice day.... They mean go -/:; yourself.

amish rob
10-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Ooh, I do like the way the French say "poo". That's a good one.

Peace,
Robert

Peerie Maa
10-25-2016, 10:32 AM
My second example can mean several things, I meant the lighter insult...'idiot'.

I have added an asterix, if that softens the blow.

It might. I was smacked for using the abbreviation @.