PDA

View Full Version : Mast Build

scottmacc
10-20-2016, 05:00 PM
I've finally gotten around to building my mast. It's 44', roughly 6"x9" rectangular hollow spar. I'm about ready to epoxy the 4th side on to close it up but want to install all the wiring first. I'm considering installing conduit to make eventual changes easier but wondering how to go about it. Looking for ideas, thanks, scott

Jay Greer
10-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Plastic conduit works well. It can be attached with plastic straps and screws to the interior of the mast and makes it easy to attach the wires and to make changes once the stick is closed up. Each tube must lead to the needed poing of attachment. Another method is making miniature bulkheads out of plastic foam and slipping it over the conduit. They will hold by friction if made correctly they should also have large vent holes in them as well so as not to dam up moisture. Be sure to coat the interior of the spar with
two coats of thin orange/amber shellack. No sanding between coats.
Jay

scottmacc
10-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Thank you Jay. How would you terminate the conduit where it exits? And why shellac instead of epoxy? Btw, the mast will be painted

DeniseO30
10-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Scott deck or keel stepped? Also it's a good idea to have a double messenger line for pulling wire up/down. I think Jay suggested shellac so the mast can "breath"

scottmacc
10-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Keel stepped.

Btw, Bristol,PA? Spent my first 18 years down river in Frankford