PDA

View Full Version : Obama pardons Lew!

ron ll
10-14-2016, 10:12 AM
Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum, cigarshttp://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/14/obama-cuba-regulations-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 10:20 AM
for personal use
now i don't have to feel bad smuggling rum and cigars across the cantadian border :D

jack grebe
10-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Well that's just GREAT.........now that I have quit smoking and drinking.

biga
10-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Well that's just GREAT.........now that I have quit smoking and drinking.

hahaha, "picked a bad week to quit methamphetamines" (Airplane)

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 10:41 AM
:D...

love that movie

Jim Bow
10-14-2016, 11:04 AM
This should get interesting. The big pre Castro companies, like Bacardi, moved elsewhere and were successful. Castro kept using the names within the country.
Which will be allowed into the US.
As for cigars, the Dominican and Nicaraguan rollers took over the quality battle long ago.

CWSmith
10-14-2016, 11:15 AM
I am not a big rum fan, but I would like to try some of the Cuban stuff just to see what it's like.

I'll do fine without the cigars.

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 11:19 AM
bacardi is crap

Joe (SoCal)
10-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Years ago when I was young and smoked cigars I traveling outside the US I smoked a few Cuban's the prize was to get Cohiba - I was very disappointed. My alltime favorite was The Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story from the Dominican Rep no Cuban beat that for me.

Capitalism produces some very fine products ;)

Joe (SoCal)
10-14-2016, 11:24 AM
bacardi is crap

Havana Club is not ;)

Vince Brennan
10-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Y'know, it pays to be a plebeian when it comes to rum.

Yo me gusto Don Q.

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 11:36 AM
I too have been mostly disappointed in Cuban Cigars. My home town in Alabama has a Cuban exile tobacconist who hand rolls from mostly Dominican leaves - his offering are excellent.

My alltime favorite was The Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short StoryPerfecto!

Joe (SoCal)
10-14-2016, 11:38 AM
I too have been mostly disappointed in Cuban Cigars. My home town in Alabama has a Cuban exile tobacconist who hand rolls from mostly Dominican leaves - his offering are excellent.

Perfecto!

I am nothing if not a renaissance man :D LOL

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 11:40 AM
strewth!

Ian McColgin
10-14-2016, 12:33 PM
In 1972 I brought back some Havanas for my (then) father in law. He was an artist for the federal Bureau of Prisons. On getting to DC we met at his studio and I presented him with the box, little thinking that he'd light up contraband in the heart of the US Department of Justice. Not just lit up. The distinctive aroma of Havana got into the AC. So many, including some very top officials, came by to cadge a cigar that in about two hours all of the box (except about a half dozen my FinL hid in his satchel) had been given away. Even though it was obvious they came in with the guy with hair down to his belt, there was no interrogation or arrest. Just honest thanks.

Paul Pless
10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
'artist for federal bureau of prisons' - now there's a job that i bet no longer exists :D

CWSmith
10-14-2016, 12:56 PM
In 1972 I brought back some Havanas for my (then) father in law. He was an artist for the federal Bureau of Prisons. On getting to DC we met at his studio and I presented him with the box, little thinking that he'd light up contraband in the heart of the US Department of Justice. Not just lit up. The distinctive aroma of Havana got into the AC. So many, including some very top officials, came by to cadge a cigar that in about two hours all of the box (except about a half dozen my FinL hid in his satchel) had been given away. Even though it was obvious they came in with the guy with hair down to his belt, there was no interrogation or arrest. Just honest thanks.

One of my favorite Kinky Friedman stories (https://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/01/gary-north/dont-embarrass-me-or-the-cia/):

When Kinky Friedman lit a Cuban cigar, and offered one to Bill Clinton, Clinton said: “Uh, you know, that’s illegal in this country. You can’t do that here.” Friedman responded: “We’re not supporting their economy. We’re burning their fields (http://books.google.com/books?id=L5oMfFoDZGMC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=Kinky+Friedman+cigar+clinton+burning+their+fiel ds&source=bl&ots=AppuWnLf63&sig=XbHYPqXywY4PzOjYJxzxbpUcWBA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ij7YUqLvCpPLsATng4HgDQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Kinky%20Friedman%20cigar%20clinton%20burning%20t heir%20fields&f=false).”