• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rum_Pirate
    Banned
    • Apr 2007

Locking threads

Why lock a thread?

Is it because one is getting replies that one does not like and they do not support ones view?

Why not leave it open and let it end as interest in the topic dies?

What is your view as to why one would or should lock a thread?
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: Locking threads

Another question without a clear yes/no answer.
    Generally I agree to just let it run its course and let it sink, however there are sound reasons for locking other than the petulant reason that you cited.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
      Banned
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Peerie Maa
      Another question without a clear yes/no answer.
      Generally I agree to just let it run its course and let it sink, however there are sound reasons for locking other than the petulant reason that you cited.

Such as?

Comment

• Peerie Maa
        Old Grey Inquisitive One
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
        Such as?
        If you can see that it is becoming a pointless p!!$!ng contest or a flame war.

Comment

• isla
          Isla Woodcraft
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Rum_Pirate
          Such as?
          Such as discovering, or being told, that the topic/news item has already been raised in an earlier thread. Probably it is more appropriate to delete the later thread in that case, but people sometimes just lock them.
          Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

• Michael D. Storey
            • Nov 2009

Locking Threads? Isnt that when you got the nut run up tight like, and you peen over the end of the bolt?

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
              Liberaltarian
              • Nov 2004

My view: it is NEVER appropriate to lock or delete a thread.... with the sole exception of an inadvertent start of a thread already covering a topic someone elese had just started.

Starting a thread conveys no special privileges upon the person who started it.... other than the 'privilege' of being childish. Once other people have posted, deleting a thread is simply a minor form of censorship.... and locking the thread is a puerile attempt to end a discussion, which no one should have the right to do. The simple fact is that people will make objectionable posts, from time to time... objectionable to the thread starter... but it's a 'free speech' forum (subject to administrative rules), and if a person can't tolerate the existence of a post to which they object, then maybe they really don't have the maturity to participate in an open forum.
              "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                Old Grey Inquisitive One
                • Oct 2008

^So, you think that bringing the forum into disrepute by harassing a member is 'free speech'?

Remarkable!

Comment

• biga
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2016

i like to believe everyone in here is adult enough to take any response from anyone. you can call me whatever you like and you won't be hurting my feelings nor would it stop me from buying you a beer and laughing about it.

Comment

• isla
                    Isla Woodcraft
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by biga
                    i like to believe everyone in here is adult enough to take any response from anyone. you can call me whatever you like and you won't be hurting my feelings nor would it stop me from buying you a beer and laughing about it.
                    OK ya wee brainless snivelling $hite, if I ever meet you mine's a pint of Guinness
                    Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

Comment

• hokiefan
                      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                      My view: it is NEVER appropriate to lock or delete a thread.... with the sole exception of an inadvertent start of a thread already covering a topic someone elese had just started.

Starting a thread conveys no special privileges upon the person who started it.... other than the 'privilege' of being childish. Once other people have posted, deleting a thread is simply a minor form of censorship.... and locking the thread is a puerile attempt to end a discussion, which no one should have the right to do. The simple fact is that people will make objectionable posts, from time to time... objectionable to the thread starter... but it's a 'free speech' forum (subject to administrative rules), and if a person can't tolerate the existence of a post to which they object, then maybe they really don't have the maturity to participate in an open forum.
                      Apparently the owners of this forum disagree, since they gave us the right to lock or delete our own threads. I find it humorously childish and petulant when someone does it, but they are well within their rights as granted by the moderator. Arguing that it is NEVER appropriate is just silly. But YMMV.

Cheers,

Bobby

Comment

• jack grebe
                        Misunderstood
                        • Feb 2001

I wish I could lock every thread posted by some here......
                        Originally posted by George Jung
                        Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Comment

• jsjpd1
                          mmmm....boat good.
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein

I locked a thread when it concerned copyright infringement and I had gotten my answer. The conversation had the potential to hurt another forum member and I wasn't interested in letting the conversation go there. I also deleted it after a short while for the same reason (I did tell folks I was going to delete it before I did). Some conversations shouldn't be saved forever and most probably don't need to be saved. I've also deleted several threads from the bilge that I've started. After everyone has lost interest what's the point in saving them?

Since it's a wooden boat forum I haven't deleted any boat threads yet (although I've been tempted from time to time) just because someone might find that topic interesting at a later date.
                          -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
                          1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
                          19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                            Old Grey Inquisitive One
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jsjpd1
                            I locked a thread when it concerned copyright infringement and I had gotten my answer. The conversation had the potential to hurt another forum member and I wasn't interested in letting the conversation go there.
                            Just so, my point exactly.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                              obnoxiously persistent.
                              • Jan 2005

Loctite built a business on it.
                              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

Working...