PDA

View Full Version : The Atlantic endorses Clinton, explains why not Trump

Shang
10-06-2016, 04:23 PM
“...These concerns compel us, for the third time since the magazine’s founding, to endorse a candidate for president.

Hillary Rodham Clinton has more than earned, through her service to the country as first lady, as a senator from New York, and as secretary of state, the right to be taken seriously as a White House contender. She has flaws (some legitimately troubling, some exaggerated by her opponents), but she is among the most prepared candidates ever to seek the presidency. We are confident that she understands the role of the United States in the world; we have no doubt that she will apply herself assiduously to the problems confronting this country; and she has demonstrated an aptitude for analysis and hard work.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, has no record of public service and no qualifications for public office. His affect is that of an infomercial huckster; he traffics in conspiracy theories and racist invective; he is appallingly sexist; he is erratic, secretive, and xenophobic; he expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself. He is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/11/the-case-for-hillary-clinton-and-against-donald-trump/501161/

CWSmith
10-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Sounds about right. I am still beside myself that roughly half of the voters actually think Trump is a good idea.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-06-2016, 04:47 PM
"In a society like ours, where every man may transmute his private thought into history and destiny by dropping it into the ballot-box, a peculiar responsibility rests upon the individual For, though during its term of office the government be practically as independent of the popular will as that of Russia, yet every fourth year the people are called upon to pronounce upon the conduct of their affairs. Theoretically, at least, to give democracy any standing-ground for an argument with despotism or oligarchy, a majority of the men composing it should be statesmen and thinkers."

James Russell Lowell, writing in The Atlantic in 1860, quoted in the article that Shang quotes, above.

I love The Atlantic.

Shang
10-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Sounds about right. I am still beside myself that roughly half of the voters actually think Trump is a good idea.

It is no longer a joke when we say, "Half of the population are of below-average intelligence."

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-07-2016, 12:23 PM
What? You expect the Trumpistas to READ?

CWSmith
10-07-2016, 12:29 PM
It is no longer a joke when we say, "Half of the population are of below-average intelligence."

True, but when you hear the racist, anti-immigrant, sexist comments mixed with prejudice on cultural and religious grounds, it becomes as much a matter of character as intelligence. Sure, lots of people do not understand why the trickle-down economics of the Tea Party is a failure, but they should recognize hate and demagoguery when they see it. Instead of being repulsed by it, they applaud it. That's what bothers me most about the Trump campaign.

Michael D. Storey
10-07-2016, 05:40 PM
In the history of the Atlantic, they have endorsed three candidates. Lincoln, (LB) Johnson and Madam Secretary Clinton. All done at a time when failure to elect, in the opinion of the magazine would have had disasterous results.