PDA

View Full Version : When will be your last time out on the water this year?

genglandoh
10-06-2016, 08:13 AM
15 years ago I would normally try to get out on Lake Erie in late Nov.
But in the past 5 years or so I have been ending my sailing in Oct.
Partly because of my travel schedule and partly because my kids have moved out.

I am going sailing Friday night and I hope to get out at least one more time before I put the boat away.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
10-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Mild Fall so far, the lake is still pretty warm.
Go for it, the fishing is great in October and November.

Rich Jones
10-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Today and tomorrow temps will be around 70 degreesF (very warm for this time of year), so I'll be doing a little paddling. After that, temps will drop quickly, so boats will be put to bed for the winter.

Norman Bernstein
10-06-2016, 08:20 AM
We are pretty much done already... the boat is still in the slip, but we haven't sailed in 3 weeks, and won't again. I'm planning to start decommissioning this weekend.

It's not that there can't be good fall sailing... it's more an issue of various work commitments, as well as all sorts of family issues, as well as the fact that we haven't had good weekend weather. By this time of the year, I'm also less motivated to sail, as opposed to springtime, when I try to get in as early as possible, and sail as much as I can in May and June.

Lots of decommissioning work to do, starting with putting the dinghy away, draining the oil from the 4 stroke outboard, sending the inflatable floor out for repair of a minor leak... then, engine oil change, water systems decommissioning, removal of all remaining food and drink, removing the bimini , dodger, and sails, etc....

biga
10-06-2016, 08:20 AM
last time? there is no "last time" around here. i'll go out all winter. only downside to going out in the winter is the low water levels. so for my home lake that means staying in the channels and out of the flats where i would normally be.

Canoez
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
When I've got to break the ice at the edge of the pond. Usually sometime in October.

Breakaway
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
I like to fish, so I go out year round, though winter weather creates rougher sea conditions with greater frequency, so I get weathered out more.

Kevin

genglandoh
10-06-2016, 08:27 AM
We are pretty much done already... the boast is still in the slip, but we haven't sailed in 3 weeks, and won't again. I'm planning to start decommissioning this weekend.

It's not that there can't be good fall sailing... it's more an issue of various work commitments, as well as all sorts of family issues, as well as the fact that we haven't had good weekend weather. By this time of the year, I'm also less motivated to sail, as opposed to springtime, when I try to get in as early as possible, and sail as much as I can in May and June.

Lots of decommissioning work to do, starting with putting the dinghy away, draining the oil from the 4 stroke outboard, sending the inflatable floor out for repair of a minor leak... then, engine oil change, water systems decommissioning, removal of all remaining food and drink, removing the bimini , dodger, and sails, etc....

Thanks Norm.
I have only owned trailer sailboat (largest 24 ft) and I have not thought about the effort to put a larger sailboat away for the winter.
I still would like to own a larger sailboat when I retire but you have given me something to think about.

ccmanuals
10-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Should pick up my boat this week or early next week.

I hope to fish all winter. :)

Norman Bernstein
10-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks Norm.
I have only owned trailer sailboat (largest 24 ft) and I have not thought about the effort to put a larger sailboat away for the winter.
I still would like to own a larger sailboat when I retire but you have given me something to think about.

I've been sailing for 30 years now, on 'big' boats (my first was a 30 footer, full keel).... and I had always considered maintaining, commissioning, and decommissioning the boat to be part of the fun of ownership... it never bothered me.

Strange that, when I was young and in the midst of my career, it seemed like I had a lot more time to do all that stuff, and I enjoyed it. Nowadays, at 65, still working, but at the end of my career, it seems I have far LESS time... and certainly less energy, to do all that stuff. Family obligations are part of the story; I do spend a lot of time caring for my 92 year old mother, and I've got granddaughters as well.

I think it all depends on how much time one has. If I were retired, I'd have no problem with it... I could spend a day down on the boat, doing all this stuff at a leisurely pace, and if a few items didn't get done, I'd get to them, the next day. Nowadays, I have to 'reserve' time for the work, and if I don't get some items done, I have to figure out where to steal the time to do them.

So, the only question is whether I'll give up the boat before I retire fully.... or hang in until full retirement so that I don't have to give it up.

CWSmith
10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Not only has my last time come this year, but my father is going in next week for his 3rd knee replacement. The first one failed after 15 years. So his sailing is done for the year as well.

willmarsh3
10-06-2016, 09:14 AM
I'll try to go sailing up to Dec 31st this year barring rain or cold below 50 degrees F or other issues.

Best of luck to your dad.

genglandoh
10-06-2016, 09:18 AM
I've been sailing for 30 years now, on 'big' boats (my first was a 30 footer, full keel).... and I had always considered maintaining, commissioning, and decommissioning the boat to be part of the fun of ownership... it never bothered me.

Strange that, when I was young and in the midst of my career, it seemed like I had a lot more time to do all that stuff, and I enjoyed it. Nowadays, at 65, still working, but at the end of my career, it seems I have far LESS time... and certainly less energy, to do all that stuff. Family obligations are part of the story; I do spend a lot of time caring for my 92 year old mother, and I've got granddaughters as well.

I think it all depends on how much time one has. If I were retired, I'd have no problem with it... I could spend a day down on the boat, doing all this stuff at a leisurely pace, and if a few items didn't get done, I'd get to them, the next day. Nowadays, I have to 'reserve' time for the work, and if I don't get some items done, I have to figure out where to steal the time to do them.

So, the only question is whether I'll give up the boat before I retire fully.... or hang in until full retirement so that I don't have to give it up.

I spend about 2 hours every time I go sailing setting (1 hour) and taking down (1 hour).
And I spend time at home loading and unloading the boat.

So in a way I like the idea of only doing it once each year like you do.

PS Yesterday I spent about 2 hours in the boat in the driveway.
I started out doing a few things but it quickly turned into a nap.

David G
10-06-2016, 09:50 AM
We boat year-round here. I might do less (or no) dinghy racing (or jet-ski driving <G>) - but we still use the bigger boats.

ron ll
10-06-2016, 09:58 AM
In the old days there was an annual party at Port Ludlow on New Years with many boats anchored in the Inner Harbor. I don't remember the exact details now but there was a King County boat tax of some sort that one could avoid by having the boat out of the county on Jan 1st, and Port Ludlow is in a different county. We were smart like Trump. :)

Also, altho Seattle has an Opening Day of boating season, there is no closing day.

wizbang 13
10-06-2016, 10:17 AM
My 24 'er ,"Wonderland"is coming home soon. I never got to sail her in a single breeze that I had to reef any of 5 sails.Summer of no wind. 60 mile sail back from Port Townsend was nice, but full rig.
Jah Willin, I will launch "Woodwind" the beginning of December in Antigua, as has become my usual thing.

CK 17
10-06-2016, 10:18 AM
17th it goes on the hard. Change the oil and filters tomorrow. We might get one more sail in if the weather gods cooperate. Until I get another trailer sailer I'm sort of at the mercy of the marina schedule. I'm thinking of building a 24 foot Ohio sharpie for trailer sailing when the oday is out of the water. maybe the fireball will work for that if I ever finish it.

Upshur
10-06-2016, 10:24 AM
will row till Hell freezes over...literally

CWSmith
10-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Best of luck to your dad.

Thank you.

Todd Bradshaw
10-06-2016, 04:28 PM
This weekend probably. One of our lakes is pretty uninhabited with seven small connected bays and is pretty wild after you get up past the fifth one. We can paddle right along the muskeg edges, enjoy the fall colors and usually find a few wild cranberries.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/ToddBradshaw/misc%20junk/4-005_zpsbpzuyggo.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag153/ToddBradshaw/assorted/khtf-009_zpsgljjqkhu.jpg

After that we'll hit the commercial bogs, buy about 15 lbs. of cranberries for the winter and see if we can find some good wild rice at a decent price.

Tonyr
10-06-2016, 04:47 PM
October 14th (Friday) is the day for our local boat lift. One 50 ton crane, four "big" sailboats, three "small" ones, and my power boat. We dodged a bullet when Matthew began to loop. In a few weeks, the water will be pretty hard (ice about two foot deep later in the winter, with lots of snow on top).

We shift from boating to cross country ski-ing.

Tony.

Rich Jones
10-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I took the canoe out for one last time today. Might take the plywood garvey out tomorrow but then it's time to pack them away.

Reynard38
10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
December 31st.

Willin'
10-06-2016, 08:15 PM
My sailboat Drift has been out of the water for the year since mid September. I spent close to 40 nights aboard her, mainly because she didn't splash until early July, otherwise I would have hit 60 nights for sure.

Went for a gorgeous 3 hour tour in my 15' skiff with wife and dog this evening and hope to be able to continue doing it weather permitting til late October when the floats come out at our cove.

chas
10-06-2016, 09:05 PM
There is no last time, just the next time. / Jim

BrianW
10-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Planning on going out this weekend to set a longline for halibut and do some whale watching.

Chris249
10-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Lots of us have been on the water at midnight on New Year's Eve plenty of times.... after all, there are two hemispheres in this planet. :-)