PDA

View Full Version : Duterte tells it like it is

Dave Gray
10-04-2016, 09:27 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37548695

Just a simple mis-understanding amongst allies... or so we seem.

Gerarddm
10-04-2016, 09:31 PM
He is sounding more like Chavez every month.

Hugh Conway
10-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Duterte is a murderous lunatic. Good riddance to him.

Lew Barrett
10-04-2016, 11:06 PM
A very unpleasant man. Very. It's sad in a nation that already has lots of sadness. Murderous lunatic is about right.

Jim Bow
10-04-2016, 11:44 PM
President Cheney would have invaded by now.

PeterSibley
10-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Later on Tuesday he warned: "Eventually I might, in my time, I will break up with America. I would rather go to Russia and to China.''

It's a play ...... he's after lots of AID!!!!

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Obama Administration concerns about extra-judicial killings

What are Mr. Obama's drone assassinations? Tiddlywinks? The arrogance of this administration knows no limits. Why are we lecturing this tiny country about their own domestic politics? On what basis do we claim the moral legitimacy to hector the Philippine government about these matters?

Chip-skiff
10-05-2016, 12:48 AM
What are Mr. Obama's drone assassinations? Tiddlywinks? The arrogance of this administration knows no limits. Why are we lecturing this tiny country about their own domestic politics? On what basis do we claim the moral legitimacy to hector the Philippine government about these matters?

We got more guns. Right?

https://progressivecynic.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/102368_600.jpg

If Rahm Emmanuel ordered the Chicago cops to shoot dope dealers on sight, would you ruffle your pretty feathers about that?

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 01:31 AM
Democracy, baby. Power to the people, right? It's what they want.

skuthorp
10-05-2016, 05:38 AM
The question is SB will there be another clean election? I doubt it. Drug dealers today (but only the small fry), other small time criminals tomorrow, political rivals the next. It will be almost impossible for him to step back for fear of being prosecuted, or killed himself.

TomF
10-05-2016, 08:38 AM
The question is SB will there be another clean election? I doubt it. Drug dealers today (but only the small fry), other small time criminals tomorrow, political rivals the next. It will be almost impossible for him to step back for fear of being prosecuted, or killed himself.http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0obtwwi3V1r9sebro1_500.jpg

Keith Wilson
10-05-2016, 08:44 AM
But remember the next lines, where she decides not to take the ring.:

She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illuminated her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad. “I pass the test”, she said. “I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.”

TomF
10-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Yep. Duterte took the ring.

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 09:59 AM
So the US government is said to "have concerns." Has the Canadian government condemned Duterte? What about the Chinese government? The French? Russia maybe?

Or perhaps the "international community" will "speak with one voice" on the matter.

TomF
10-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Our Prime Minister has had at least one private conversation with Duterte, on the shoulders of a G7 meeting in Japan. Both sides confirm that human rights were on the agenda for discussion; our PM's office released no details beyond that. CBC news reports on the meeting included this tidbit: "Duterte said he and Trudeau also discussed human rights, and he said he told Trudeau: "Universal Declaration of Human rights, fine, I said 'I'm following it, but Mr. Prime Minister, with few exceptions."'

They wouldn't have had the discussion at all, if Canada had no "concerns."

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 10:23 AM
there was one private conversation.

Hope it helps. Perhaps Mr. Trudeau should aim a bit higher and have a similar talk with Mr. al-Assad.

David W Pratt
10-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Perhaps we will draw a line in the sand

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-05-2016, 10:37 AM
The EU has condemned him, as has the UK. And the UN.

The sad thing is that the country had been doing better, with GDP growing at 6% + p.a., and the election that Dirty won was the cleanest in the nation's history. in his first hundred days, the stock market and the currency have both fallen faster than at any time in the past sixteen years (it takes some doing to crash your stock market and your currency at the same time).

What follows is Manila political "tsismis" (gossip). Those who glance at my FB page will know that it's pretty much a Manila politics bulletin board!

1. Who backed Duterte?

The Marcoses financed his campaign and delivered the votes of the "Solid North", on condition that he buried the dictator in the Heroes Cemetery (this matters not because Marcos was no hero but because his grave will become a "shrine" for Marcos supporters from the slums to rally around) and on condition that he hand over to BongBong Marcos, son of the dictator, after a decent interval (one year or so).

Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo financed his campaign and arranged access to Chinese finance and Internet social media expertise, including the people who run troll armies for Trump, which they do by buying team leaders in call centres, who then "deliver" their teams bu offering bonuses for extras curricular work...in return for being let off the corruption charges.

Ex President Ramos has a hand behind the scenes; ever since he was replaced by Estrada at the end of his term he and those around him have planned to move to a "Malaysian model" with a Parliamentary system and a Federal system. They reason that this offers a much more stable model (albeit a very corrupt one).

2. Is Duterte a "new man" or from the old political classes?

His father was Cabinet Secretary under Marcos. He has handed over control of his fief, Davao, wheich he has run since he was given it by Cory, to his daughter. Nuff said...

3. Will he be impeached?

No, because having given himself the biggest pork barrel fund in history, Dirty has bought almost all the CongressCritters, all but the Magnificent Seven, and most of the Senate reptiles.

4. Will there be a coup?

At the moment, the man thought most likely to lead one, Senator Trillanes, who has "form" in that department having twice mutinied to protest corruption in procurement under Arroyo, says he does not plan to do so, because "the Administration is self destructing already".

5. What's the Plan, then?

a) whatever happens, keep the Vice-President, Leni Robredo, the admirable widow of the admirable Jesse Robredo, alive.

b) see off Marcos' plans to have the Vice-President's election quashed

c) wait for Dirty to self destruct.

Keith Wilson
10-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Instead of just being snide, perhaps suggestions about what the US ought to do? The traditional course of action in the old days when a country like the Philippines elected somebody we didn't like would be to more or less quietly encourage a military coup, but those days seem to be past. I suppose we could invade (heavy sarcasm).

Ah, I see that Andrew, who has forgotten more about Filipino politics than the rest of us put together have ever known, has posted something useful.

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 10:42 AM
The US ought to butt out and concern itself with its own problems.

Keith Wilson
10-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Not serious. Being the 500-pound gorilla in the room and the former colonial power means we can't do that, whether we like it or not. Action or inaction, butting in or out, all have effects.

TomF
10-05-2016, 10:45 AM
The US ought to butt out and concern itself with its own problems.An impassible South China Sea would be one of America's problems. Where are your shirts made again? And your TV set? And ...

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Is Spain mobilizing troops? They were a former colonial power, too. Maybe they should step up and solve it, eh?

The people of the Philippines have said, unequivocally, that they want this. They don't want or need the US to come and fix it.

Perhaps the EU ministers can solve it when they've got some spare time. I know when "condemnations" emanate from Brussels, the world listens.

Sky Blue
10-05-2016, 11:19 AM
I imagine that China will be pleased to keep the trade routes open sufficient to keep dumping their cheap plastic crap here.

TomF
10-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I imagine that China will be pleased to keep the trade routes open sufficient to keep dumping their cheap plastic crap here.For their own shipping companies, to be sure.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Is Spain mobilizing troops? They were a former colonial power, too. Maybe they should step up and solve it, eh?

The people of the Philippines have said, unequivocally, that they want this. They don't want or need the US to come and fix it.

Perhaps the EU ministers can solve it when they've got some spare time. I know when "condemnations" emanate from Brussels, the world listens.

The Philippines was, thanks to the Treaty of Tordesillas, governed by Spain as a province of Mexico up to 1821, which is why the Manila Galleon sailed to Acapulco, not to Cadiz. Only for the last 76 years of colonial rule was the nation governed directly from Spain. So perhaps we should ask Mexico as well?

The Philippines 1987 constitution, which is modelled on the 1937 one, which is modelled on the US one, somewhat simplified, contains a couple of flaws; there are separate elections for President and Vice President, with no electoral college, on the "first past the post" basis, with no run off election.

The Filipinos being a nation who try to be "fair" this results in a President elected by a minority of the votes cast, with, always, a Vice-President from another party.

Thus we have had Ramos with 26% of the vote and Estrada as the VP, Estrada won with Arroyo as VP, Arroyo replaced Estrada and then won again, then Aquino with Binay as VP and now Duterte of PDP-Laban with 39.01% of the popular voted with Robredo (Liberal Party) as VP on 35.11% of the popular vote.

The map shows how the voting went. Metro Manila on a larger scale to top right. It is alleged by some Liberal Party supporters that Grace Poe, who ran on a platform indistinguishable from that of Roxas, the Liberal candidate, was financed by Eduardo Cojuanco, the Australian-resident Marcos crony, as a "spoiler".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Presidential_Race_2016.png/290px-Presidential_Race_2016.png

Interestingly, the people of the Philippines are overwhelmingly pro-American - they are in fact more pro-American than the Americans, accoprding to the most recent opinion polls.

Duterte's platform included a reform of the Constitution to resemble the Malaysian model with federalism and a Parliamentary system - this idea is associated with ex President Ramos. My two pennyworth is that an electoral college would not be trusted so a run off election on the model of the French 5th Republic would be better, and that the wish for some form of federalism might be accommodated by having the Senate elected on a regional franchise (Luzon, Visayas, Mindanao) as opposed to teh present national franchise - the House is elected on a provincial franchise.