X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peb
    Papist and Texan
    • Feb 2004

Bill Clinton's comments on IbamaCare

Wonder how many people will deride Clinton's claim about rising health care premiums on this forum?
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Bill Clinton's comments on IbamaCare

We did this up earlier today.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• CK 17
      • Jul 2002

Anything worth doing is worth doing twice

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Comment

• Waddie
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by CK 17
        Anything worth doing is worth doing twice
        That's what my wife said........

regards,
        Waddie
        I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
          Liberaltarian
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by peb
          Wonder how many people will deride Clinton's claim about rising health care premiums on this forum?
          There is an actual truth about the cost of health care premiums... and it can be compared with the rate at which healthcare costs escalated BEFORE Obamacare, and afterwards. Yes, there are details, but the fundamentals are what they are, and they are not affected by opinions... only facts. Furthermore, two truths prevail:

1) There is no such thing as perfect legislation... ANY legislation will result in winners and losers. The balance is a judgment call.

2) Obamacare cannot be judged against a non-existent alternative.
          "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
            Lurking since 1997
            • Sep 1999

Obamacare was a compromise necessary because the Republicans promised to stand look-step against a single payer system.

Republicans will undoubtedly declare Obamacare a failure and push for its elimination

Democrats will acknowledge Obamacare's shortcomings and push for the real solution... a one payer system.

One step at a time....
            "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• peb
              Papist and Texan
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
              Obamacare was a compromise necessary because the Republicans promised to stand look-step against a single payer system.

Republicans will undoubtedly declare Obamacare a failure and push for its elimination

Democrats will acknowledge Obamacare's shortcomings and push for the real solution... a one payer system.

One step at a time....

Demonstrably, historically false. The GOP stop lockstep against ObamaCare, it was passed with zero gop votes. So how could they have done anything more to stop some other plan?

You guys live in a dream world, not in the world where premiums have been going up 3 times faster than before Obama are.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                pinko commie tree hugger
                • Oct 2003

Obama sucks.
                Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                  Liberaltarian
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by peb
                  You guys live in a dream world, not in the world where premiums have been going up 3 times faster than before Obama are.
                  My problem, peb, is that when I research this, I find that your statement is absolutely FALSE. I've googled this endlessly, and nowhere do I see anything like '3 times faster'.... more like 'lower than if there was no ACA at all'.

Feel free to back up your claim, though.
                  "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• peb
                    Papist and Texan
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Norman Bernstein
                    My problem, peb, is that when I research this, I find that your statement is absolutely FALSE. I've googled this endlessly, and nowhere do I see anything like '3 times faster'.... more like 'lower than if there was no ACA at all'.

Feel free to back up your claim, though.
                    I know how fast my premiums went up prior to ObamaCare and their rate of increase since then. Bill Clinton described the situation perfectly.

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                      Liberaltarian
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by peb
                      I know how fast my premiums went up prior to ObamaCare and their rate of increase since then. .
                      ..and YOUR anecdotal experience is true of the nation as a whole?

Sorry... that doesn't cut it, as an argument. If you can demonstrate via link or reference the contentions you have made, it would be a different story... but from everything I've been able to google, the rate of increase in premiums (even accounting for copays and deductibles) is down substantially from the pre-ACA era.

No legislation is ever perfect; there will always be winners and losers. I'm sorry for those whose premiums increased.... but if the result of the legislation was 1) the average rate of premium increase is down, and 2) 11 million more people can now obtain coverage, then it was a good deal.

Comment

• Gerarddm
                        #RESIST
                        • Feb 2010

I have seen some media headlines that Bubba called Obamacare 'crazy'. He did not. What he said was, for-profit healthcare was crazy. There is a huge actual and perceptual difference between the headlines and the actual sentence. It does parallel my contention that to make a profit off other people's misery is immoral.

SINGLE PAYER!
                        Gerard>
                        Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Chip-skiff
                          Wolves Without Borders
                          • Jan 2008

iBama Care?

Is that the version for tablets and mobile phones?

Comment

• Cuyahoga Chuck
                            # 7727
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by peb
                            Demonstrably, historically false. The GOP stop lockstep against ObamaCare, it was passed with zero gop votes.

If zero GOP votes isn't lock step what is?
                            The Dems really stuffed it down the GOP's throat, didn't they? That's what happens when you are ignorant of parliamentary processes. The GOPers are still whining.

Comment

• Michael D. Storey
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Chip-skiff
                              iBama Care?

Is that the version for tablets and mobile phones?
                              He meant Ipanacare. Some dental thing, I reckon

Comment

Working...