PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss Green Party's Jill Stein platform

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Let's discuss Jill Steins platform and why it is considered politically ridiculous to progressives democrats.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jill2016.com/platform

Power to the People Plan
“My Power to the People Plan creates deep system change, moving from the greed and exploitation of corporate capitalism to a human-centered economy that puts people, planet and peace over profit.It offers direct answers to the economic, social, and ecological crises brought on by both corporate political parties. And it empowers the American people to fix our broken political system and make real the promise of democracy. This plan will end unemployment and poverty; avert climate catastrophe; build a sustainable, just economy; and recognize the dignity and human rights of everyone in our society and our world. The power to create this new world is not in our hopes, it’s not in our dreams - it’s in our hands.” Jill Stein

Key points of the Power to the People Plan:
A Green New Deal:
Create millions of jobs by transitioning to 100% clean renewable energy by 2030, and investing in public transit, sustainable agriculture, and conservation.
Jobs as a Right:
Create living-wage jobs for every American who needs work, replacing unemployment offices with employment offices. Advance workers rights to form unions, achieve workplace democracy, and keep a fair share of the wealth they create.
End Poverty:
Guarantee economic human rights, including access to food, water, housing, and utilities, with effective anti-poverty programs to ensure every American a life of dignity.
Health Care as a Right:
Establish an improved “Medicare For All” single-payer public health insurance program to provide everyone with quality health care, at huge savings.
Education as a Right:
Abolish student debt to free a generation of Americans from debt servitude. Guarantee tuition-free, world-class public education from pre-school through university. End high stakes testing and public school privatization.
A Just Economy:
Set a $15/hour federal minimum wage. Break up “too-big-to-fail” banks and democratize the Federal Reserve. Reject gentrification as a model of economic development. Support development of worker and community cooperatives and small businesses. Make Wall Street, big corporations, and the rich pay their fair share of taxes. Create democratically run public banks and utilities. Replace corporate trade agreements with fair trade agreements.
Protect Mother Earth:
Lead on a global treaty to halt climate change. End destructive energy extraction: fracking, tar sands, offshore drilling, oil trains, mountaintop removal, and uranium mines. Protect our public lands, water supplies, biological diversity, parks, and pollinators. Label GMOs, and put a moratorium on GMOs and pesticides until they are proven safe. Protect the rights of future generations.
Racial Justice Now:
End police brutality and mass incarceration. Create a Truth and Reconciliation Commission to understand and eliminate the legacy of slavery that lives on as pervasive racism in the economy, education, housing and health. Ensure that communities control their police rather than police controlling our communities, by establishing police review boards and full time investigators to look in to all cases of death in police custody. Demilitarize the police.
Freedom and Equality:
Expand women’s rights, protect LGBTQIA+ people from discrimination, defend indigenous rights and lands, and create a welcoming path to citizenship for immigrants. Protect the free Internet, legalize marijuana/hemp, and treat substance abuse as a public health problem, not a criminal problem.
Justice for All:
Restore our Constitutional rights, terminate unconstitutional surveillance and unwarranted spying, end persecution of government and media whistleblowers, close Guantanamo, abolish secret kill lists, and repeal indefinite detention without charge or trial.
Peace and Human Rights:
Establish a foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, and human rights. End the wars and drone attacks, cut military spending by at least 50% and close the 700+ foreign military bases that are turning our republic into a bankrupt empire. Stop U.S. support and arms sales to human rights abusers, and lead on global nuclear disarmament.
Empower the People:
Abolish corporate personhood. Protect voters’ rights by establishing a constitutional right to vote. Enact electoral reforms that break the big money stranglehold and create truly representative democracy: public campaign financing, ranked-choice voting, proportional representation, and open debates

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2016, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmu2glcDqJ0

CWSmith
10-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Most of those "key points" leave me asking "How?"

PeterSibley
10-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Most of those "key points" leave me asking "How?"

The country would have to want to change .

Hugh Conway
10-04-2016, 07:24 PM
She's been stealing Johnson's bong, hasn't she?

CK 17
10-04-2016, 07:39 PM
What's wrong with pie in the sky? Now we have total disfunction. Might as well have total pie in the sky disfunction.

Gerarddm
10-04-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm with her on some of it. Other parts are absurd in their na´vetÚ', like it's government in a vacuum or something.

jack grebe
10-05-2016, 06:59 AM
The country would have to want to change .

And half of Americans want change enough to vote for Trump

Norman Bernstein
10-05-2016, 07:28 AM
My general principle: the candidate who promises the least, will come closer to achieving their goals.

Rich Jones
10-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Weaning this country off of oil, gas and coal in just 14 years. Right.....

jack grebe
10-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Weaning this country off of oil, gas and coal in just 14 years. Right.....

True, but isn't the direction more important than the time frame?

C. Ross
10-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Rainbow sparkle ponies for everyone!

It's a helpful reminder of why I am a Conservative, despite the risk of being accused of being with or begetting the current Occupied TeaPublican Party. Extreme liberalism's faith that Government Can Do Anything if we just Put Our Minds To It is charming, like kids clapping for Tinkerbelle to live at a Peter Pan show.

Of course government has a role in advancing liberty, prosperity, and ideals that we can live better and do better; it should help us advance. But I prefer a government that addresses market failures, and doesn't see itself AS the market maker.

Ms. Stein is right to aspire to a better world and identify real problems. The rest is mostly sophomoric.

Gerarddm
10-05-2016, 10:06 AM
By golly, a conservative I can have a rational discussion with! A cogent post, Chris.

Norman Bernstein
10-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Rainbow sparkle ponies for everyone!

It's a helpful reminder of why I am a Conservative, despite the risk of being accused of being with or begetting the current Occupied TeaPublican Party. Extreme liberalism's faith that Government Can Do Anything if we just Put Our Minds To It is charming, like kids clapping for Tinkerbelle to live at a Peter Pan show.

Of course government has a role in advancing liberty, prosperity, and ideals that we can live better and do better; it should help us advance. But I prefer a government that addresses market failures, and doesn't see itself AS the market maker.

Ms. Stein is right to aspire to a better world and identify real problems. The rest is mostly sophomoric.

I've always respected your posts, Cris... but if I can be permitted to take a small exception:

The meme about liberalism's faith that "Government Can Do Anything if we just Put Our Minds To It" may be popular among conservatives, but like most one-liners, it's simply not true. Liberals (id I may be permitted to speak for at least some of them) are NOT people who believe in 'big government' as a principle.... they believe in effective and sufficient government.

For example, wanting far more stringent rules on banks and financial institutions is NOT an abject plea for 'big government'.... it's a recognition that utterly inadequate regulation and the hands-off attitude this country has taken, with respect to financial institutions, has caused great economic harm... and has the potential to continue to do great economic harm. Surely, the experience of the economic collapse of 2008, when financial institutions had reached preposterous levels of leverage and were, by their own admission, selling complete garbage repackaged as 'investments', is an apropos example.

I don't know WHAT the conservative attitude toward that is... other than to presume that those Republicans who claim the mantle of conservatism have fought, tooth and nail, against the kind of regulation needed to protect the American public, and the American economy.

C. Ross
10-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Norm, I did write "Extreme" liberalism, after removing the adjective I'd agree with you.

Like many here I appreciate history and the social sciences. The "great man" view of history has been appropriately overrun with a recognition that forces much greater than Kings and Prime Ministers and Parliaments drive our futures. We have insights that technological advances, sociological changes, evolution of religious and cultural beliefs and other engines of human advancement push governments and even nations aside, not the other way around.

I don't see liberalism as an enemy; I find that a progressive and permissive Conservativism may have insights into how the powers of human advancement can be fostered, channeled and regulated. That excites me more than a view that government should initiate, plan, guide, monitor and control. If my liberal friends say that isn't liberalism, well then d'accord, we can agree. But I do see the risk of hubris in the further leftward branches of liberalism where Ms. Stein seems to roost.

Norman Bernstein
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
But I do see the risk of hubris in the further leftward branches of liberalism where Ms. Stein seems to roost.

Then you should take heart, Cris, that she's NEVER been able to attract a meaningful following. Most 'liberals' (i.e., the people most conservatives describe as 'liberal') are nowhere NEAR that level of, as you say, 'hubris'.

Hillary Clinton did say something recently which, I think, was one of the most truthful things she's ever said. She said [paraphrasing] that she occupied the region between slightly left of center, to slightly right of center. In a normal political atmosphere, that should have made her an absolute lock for the Presidency... it's only the extremists that prevent the more centrist politicians from making a clean sweep of any election. Instead, she (and even more so, her husband) have been lambasted by the farther left.... and excoriated by the far right... for their near-centrist political outlook.