PDA

View Full Version : The "100 second" club

David G
10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
No, Pless, I ain't talking about YOU. This is about cars, not flatulence <G>

Call it the 100-second club: At least one of each of these 11 models was purchased at least every 100 seconds. Nissan's Rogue just made the cut, at 98 seconds, while Ford's Escape just missed it, at 101 seconds.
Here's the full list.

Ford F-150 (39.7 seconds)
Chevrolet Silverado (55.6)
Ram pickup (65.6)
Toyota Camry (79.6)
Toyota Corolla (81.9)
Honda Civic (83.4)
Honda CR-V (89.8)
Toyota RAV4 (90.9)
Honda Accord (91.5)
Nissan Altima (97.9)
Nissan Rogue (98)

Unit sales are often only distantly linked to profit, but the 100-second club underscores three somewhat surprising things about today's auto business.

Car consumers seem to be getting more conservative. From January through September, while the U.S. auto industry overall slowed a bit, sales of the top 11 models rose by 2.8 percent from the same period last year. Buyers are consolidating at the top.The car, once a source of passion and prestige, is becoming a more utilitarian commodity. Maybe someday, we'll all be riding around in pods from Apple. Today, we're increasingly driving Camrys and Ford pickups.
The sedan isn't quite dead yet. Five of the top 11 models are old-fashioned cars—ones that have four doors and don't purport to climb boulder fields. Honda's Civic even managed a 14 percent sales spike, compared with the first 10 months of last year. Meanwhile, only three SUVs have cracked the 100-second club.
A new car is still a sizable purchase for nearly all buyers, and they care less about getting their decisions absolutely right than they do about not getting them wrong. There's safety in the herd of Hondas. Ford has only one model, the F-150, in the 100-second club. But it sits at the very top of the list, while three other Ford models—the Escape, Fusion, and Explorer—have come close to breaking through. Without pickup trucks, General Motors and Fiat-Chrysler would be missing.

As consumers begin to tap the brakes (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-03/nissan-s-u-s-vehicle-sales-up-beating-estimates-for-september) on buying cars, it will be critical for auto makers to have models they can choose without much thought. The 100-second club is about to become more important than ever.

jack grebe
10-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Amazing how most of the list is imports........or not

Bob Adams
10-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Amazing how most of the list is imports........or not

Many of the foreign brands have more car models produced in the U.S. than big three does. Sad, but a fact and getting worse.

AnalogKid
10-04-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised by the number of cars (as opposed to trucks and SUVs in that list). The top 10 sellers in NZ so far this year:

Ford Ranger (ute)
Toyota Hilux (ute)
Toyota Corolla (hatch)
Holden Colorado (ute)
Toyota Rav4 (SUV)
Mitsubishi Triton (ute)
Kia Sportage (SUV)
Nissan Navara (ute)
Mazda CX5 (SUV)
Suzuki Swift (hatch)

So only 2 cars. It would seem that a lot of company vehicles are utes, because they carry no fringe benefit tax. So even if the job in a white-collar, cuty-based gig, people are getting 4x4 trucks to roll around in, filling town with diesel fumes. Madness.

Keith Wilson
10-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Amazing how most of the list is imports........or notFWIW, some of the 'imports' i.e. the Toyota Camry, the Honda Civic, have some of the very highest domestic content percentages, and support more US jobs than models with a US label. Just because it says Chevy on the fender doesn't mean all that much of it is made here.

Garret
10-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Wait a sec - that list can't be right. There aren't any Peugeots on it!

David W Pratt
10-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Also interesting, the top three in the 100 sec club are not high MPG rides

Norman Bernstein
10-04-2016, 07:45 PM
It's not surprising that, aside from the pickup truck crowd, Toyota and Honda rank so high. I've owned 3 or 4 Toyotas, and I'm on my 2nd Honda, and they're very good cars.

WszystekPoTrochu
10-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Top 10 for Poland in 2015:

Skoda Octavia
Skoda Fabia
VW Golf
Skoda Rapid
Toyota Yaris
Opel Astra (at least one montaged in the country)
Toyota Auris
Ford Focus
Opel Corsa
VW Passat

So, B/C class cars plus Passat barely making it. You could fit two of most of those in a parking space F150 needs...