PDA

View Full Version : television watching

switters
10-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Wondering how much of a minority I am, as I do not have cable or even a computer hooked up to my TV. I do like to watch a movie every once in a while on the DVD player so I own a TV, but only look at it about 2 hours a week. I do like to watch some football later in the season but that is usually at a local pub.

In the summer I ride a lot after work and get in some lake time. In the winter I ride, read and probably spend more time at the local pub talking with friends than I should.

Hence the poll,

skuthorp
10-04-2016, 03:20 PM
I watch very little. Never a fan of film generally but I watch a news bulletin, current affairs, the odd documentary. Wife watches far more than me.

Norman Bernstein
10-04-2016, 03:24 PM
It may be fashionable and somehow 'chic' to run down TV.... but for the selective watcher, there is fabulous stuff available. Anyone with Netflix can easily find VERY worthwhile stuff to watch... documentaries alone make it worthwhile, but there is also outstanding high quality drama.

Keith Wilson
10-04-2016, 03:28 PM
I watch maybe one movie a month. No cable. I'm sure there's good stuff available to watch, but it's just not my thing.

WoodyHuscarl
10-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I think one of the reasons I have the TV on so much is that I don't have a fireplace. Something therapeutic about staring into a fire.

ljb5
10-04-2016, 03:31 PM
I haven't owned or watched TV in just over two years.

skuthorp
10-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Life has much more to offer, I don't have enough time to waste on TV.

Ted Hoppe
10-04-2016, 03:41 PM
We are enjoying the golden age of television now. Great writing, high production values, cheap distribution are making this medium something to watch. Yes this is lots of crap and stuff to sort through. Netflix, HBO, AMC and some other quality cable networks have some good stories. Many have suggested that TV has things going for it that movies are unable to do.

Currently the shows i follow are Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Better call Saul, Narcos, The Night Of, and a few others.

John Meachen
10-04-2016, 03:47 PM
I am in the fortunate position of having a chunk of international programming available via the satellite dish in the garden which is within the footprint of the signal for quite a few countries.It is a rare day when there is absolutely nothing worth watching and my comprehension of other languages is very slowly improving.

WoodyHuscarl
10-04-2016, 03:56 PM
It's hard to take an internet poll seriously when the first choice is "Total Luddite."

Y>:dY>

switters
10-04-2016, 04:00 PM
It's hard to take an internet poll seriously when the first choice is "Total Luddite."

And a surprising number of people have chosen that option, with their computer.

Todd D
10-04-2016, 04:15 PM
I don't fit any of the categories above. I own a TV, antenna only, but only watch the local weather 5 days a week (it isn't on on weekends) for a total of about 25-30 minutes a week.

Flying Orca
10-04-2016, 04:34 PM
No cable; my TV is my computer monitor and movie screen, for the rare occasions I watch a movie. I used to tune in local broadcast TV to watch election returns, but these days I'm just as likely to stream them, like I do the odd hockey game.

Hugh Conway
10-04-2016, 04:39 PM
I don't get it.

A TV is just another display. One with, for some media, a better quality stream.

Flying Orca
10-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't get it.

A TV is just another display. One with, for some media, a better quality stream.

That, my friend, depends on how you define "quality". My first criterion for visual media is that they be free of advertising. Television generally fails this test.

Hugh Conway
10-04-2016, 04:52 PM
That, my friend, depends on how you define "quality". My first criterion for visual media is that they be free of advertising. Television generally fails this test.

I have a streaming app for Baseball games that's one of the best providers on the market today; yet it regularly has delays/interruptions and can end up 15 minutes delayed at the end of a 2hr broadcast. It doesn't have ads though - it blanks out for the duration of the advertising break.

I can also watch the same game on TV, without the streaming delays and interruptions.

That's what I meant by "good" - in real time, without delays.

was actually considering buying another TV to use as a 2nd computer monitor for large photo display. 4k are cheap these days.

gilberj
10-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Have never had cable. We do have high speed internet and WIFI. We stream Netflix's or documentaries, even that's a bit new for me as for most of my life I did not bother with any of it....you know.... rent a movie two or three times a year. We have a TV and a fairly substantial collection of DVD's ( my wife's) for our "Workaway" Volunteers. That being said, the last place locally to rent DVD's closed October 1st so no more rental......passing of an era.

obscured by clouds
10-04-2016, 05:00 PM
In the lucky situation of being in the UK where we have 3 ad free channels form the BBC. Even the other terrestrial channels which do show ads are'nt too bad - CH4 and it's offshoots, C5 [bit down market] and ITV 1 - 4, also a welsh language channel S4C and for Gaelic - BBC Alba.
The satelite channels, dominated by Sky are ok but have far too many [long] ad breaks.

Paul Pless
10-04-2016, 05:06 PM
do they even still make dvd's?

Wondering how much of a minority I am, as I do not have cable or even a computer hooked up to my TV. I do like to watch a movie every once in a while on the DVD player so I own a TV, but only look at it about 2 hours a week. I do like to watch some football later in the season but that is usually at a local pub.

In the summer I ride a lot after work and get in some lake time. In the winter I ride, read and probably spend more time at the local pub talking with friends than I should.

Hence the poll,

Michael D. Storey
10-04-2016, 05:24 PM
It may be fashionable and somehow 'chic' to run down TV.... but for the selective watcher, there is fabulous stuff available. Anyone with Netflix can easily find VERY worthwhile stuff to watch... documentaries alone make it worthwhile, but there is also outstanding high quality drama.I do agree. I will tell you, that if you go for that British crime drama business on netflix, increasing the volume does nothing to make their speech clearer. Suggest you use the subscript option. I mean, after all, it is a foreign film, right?

LeeG
10-04-2016, 05:28 PM
I've been going through the Zatoichi tv series on YouTube.

Flying Orca
10-04-2016, 07:06 PM
I have a streaming app for Baseball games that's one of the best providers on the market today; yet it regularly has delays/interruptions and can end up 15 minutes delayed at the end of a 2hr broadcast. It doesn't have ads though - it blanks out for the duration of the advertising break.

I'd love to find something similar for hockey. It's the only thing that makes me subject myself to avoidable advertising, other than our fine host publication and the Economist, and lately I can't even bring myself to watch playoff hockey. Maybe if the Jets make a run.

hokiefan
10-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The only television I watch is sporting events, primarily college football and basketball. I stream them via SlingTV over the internet. I also occasionally rent DVD's from the Redbox at the grocery store. None of the categories really fit but Own a TV for the occasional movie is the closest.

Cheers,

Bobby

Waddie
10-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Been watching Longmire on Netflix. I also watch some sports. Most everything I watch is recorded; on UTube, Netflix, HULU or even Roku. I hate commercials.

regards,
Waddie

Hugh Conway
10-04-2016, 07:35 PM
I'd love to find something similar for hockey. It's the only thing that makes me subject myself to avoidable advertising, other than our fine host publication and the Economist, and lately I can't even bring myself to watch playoff hockey. Maybe if the Jets make a run.

Aside from Network traffic problems (usually evenings!) it's fantastic. It'd be great if there were something for many sports - there are illegal streams, but they are usually crap

Garret
10-04-2016, 07:43 PM
To (further) prove my lowbrowness, I watch an occasional TV drama, a Netflix or Amazon movie every few weeks + some sports. Olympics don't count - they bump up my TV time considerably.

Breakaway
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I'll qualify my vote in that while I actively view about eight or so hours per week of TV, I often have it on as background, tuned to the news or the weather channel.

Kevin

WszystekPoTrochu
10-04-2016, 07:59 PM
do they even still make dvd's?

Sure, but the price difference between them and blurays is getting so small, one can expect them to end in very near future

Waddie
10-04-2016, 08:03 PM
The question that should be asked is how much time do some people spend in front of a computer posting in the bilge. I spent some time here today because it's raining, but some members seem to have nothing else to do, judging by their thread/post counts.

regards,
Waddie

Gerarddm
10-04-2016, 08:04 PM
During the football season I will catch most of the Seahawks games, usually the last two quarters. Other than that, I regularly do Bill Maher and John Oliver, Game of Thrones. This season I got into Ballers and The Night Of on HBO. My guilty pleasure is Scandal on ABC... I have a terrible jones for Olivia Pope. :-)

Flying Orca
10-04-2016, 09:21 PM
there are illegal streams, but they are usually crap

Their legality bothers me less than their dubious quality... and they usually include the ads, although the European ones sometimes don't.