PDA

View Full Version : More From Trump's Speech to The Christian Veterans AKA the PTSD speech

Osborne Russell
10-04-2016, 02:59 PM
"If that makes sense . . . "

You know, in our country lately, we’re more interested in protecting the criminals than we are in making sure that we’re strong and powerful and know what we’re doing. We’re so, so interested in protecting criminals and people that want to do us harm and I think we have to go back to a little more old-fashioned method of thinking, if that makes sense.

We have a president that doesn’t know what’s happening, and when it comes to the military, you know, I always say, keep the oil. I said don’t go in, but I said keep the oil.

I’m a big fan of General Douglas MacArthur and General George Patton, and you know, these great generals, some of the generals — big fan of some of the generals in this room. We have — General Flynn is with us and General Kellogg. We have a few generals that have been so incredible to me. Now we have 200. But generals and admirals. I’m never gonna forget admirals, right? Those admirals (ph). I will never forget the admirals. That I can promise you.

Like the whole concept of profiling, you know, I mentioned the other day profiling, everyone goes, profile and profiling. Well, profiling is you know, in Israel they’re doing it and they’re doing it well.

And we may have to do that, and we may have to do other things. But you’re right, we have a politically correct military and it’s getting more and more politically correct every day.

And you know one of the things that I’m doing and I’m — we have the Johnson Amendment. You know what that is. That Lyndon Johnson in the 1950s passed an amendment because supposedly he was having a hard time with a church in Houston, with a pastor. And he passed an amendment saying basically if you’re a pastor, if you’re a religious person, you cannot get up and talk politics. You can’t really, here’s a prime example of it. You know how strongly I feel about it.

TRUMP: And I had 50 pastors, ministers, I had priests, I had a couple of rabbis in a big conference room in one of my buildings. And we’re talking and I could see they really liked me. But I could also see they couldn’t endorse me.

And I said, “Just out of curiosity, why?”

“Well, we can’t do it because we’ll lose our tax-exempt status.”

I said, “Why is that? In other words, you’re taking away your freedom of speech. And they started telling me about the Johnson Amendment which really was the first time — and I started studying it and we had a meeting a month later and I said, “We’re gonna get rid of the Johnson Amendment because they’re stopping you and our great people from talking.”

(APPLAUSE)

And Tony and all the people, I mean these are the people we have to hear from and we wanna hear from them. And you don’t mind opposing views but they’re stopping you from speaking. And actually, your opposing views are able to speak because they don’t have to worry about tax exempt status and things. So I think it’s very unfair.

And one of the things I will do very early in my administration is to get rid of the Johnson Amendment so that our great pastors and ministers and rabbis and — and everybody — and priests and everybody can go and tell and can participate in the process.

You see where the fighter jets are so old that they can’t get parts anymore. They have to go to plane — airplane graveyards and museums to get parts for our fighter jets that we’re currently using. They don’t make the parts. And you have other countries that have brand new equipment. And in some cases, we sell them the equipment. The whole thing is ridiculous.

http://time.com/4517279/trump-veterans-ptsd-transcript/

Somewhat less bizarre when you consider the setting -- professional Christians soliciting promises from the GOP:

The morning event was hosted by Tony Perkins and retired Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, both of whom represented the religious-right Family Research Council.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3820474/Trump-backed-veterans-row-suggestion-military-PTSD-t-handle-horror-stories-saw-combat.html

The Chimp Squad lives !

John of Phoenix
10-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Iím a big fan of General Douglas MacArthur and General George Patton,Little does he know.

The rest is just "Palin in pants".

Rich Jones
10-04-2016, 03:48 PM
What a bunch of disconnected babble. People really eat this stuff up? I weep when I see voters so gullible and ignorant of the facts.

WoodyHuscarl
10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
He probably meant that he was a big fan of Gregory Peck and George C. Scott...

And who could blame him? Both great actors.

LeeG
10-04-2016, 04:28 PM
"And speaking of failure, when we do our question and answer period, you look at what’s happened with our navy in terms of the number of ships and our armed forces generally, how they are so depleted, how they are at almost record-setting lows and in some cases absolute record-setting lows, it is very, very unfortunate and very, very dangerous for our country. We should not let this be like the history of the Mafia, which was allowed to grow into a nationwide organization which infiltrated and corrupted so many areas of society for such a long period of time."

LeeG
10-04-2016, 04:32 PM
"I feel so strongly that I use a different word in going around that our forces are depleted — they’re depleted. We have the greatest people on Earth, but they’re depleted"

WoodyHuscarl
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
"And speaking of failure, when we do our question and answer period, you look at what’s happened with our navy in terms of the number of ships and our armed forces generally, how they are so depleted, how they are at almost record-setting lows and in some cases absolute record-setting lows, it is very, very unfortunate and very, very dangerous for our country. We should not let this be like the history of the Mafia, which was allowed to grow into a nationwide organization which infiltrated and corrupted so many areas of society for such a long period of time."

I read that 'paragraph' through a few times to try to suss out anything coherent. I failed completely, too many non sequiturs, had too stop looking for logic.

LeeG
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
"But we have a president that won’t use the term radical Islamic terrorism, won’t use it. Will spend long periods of time explaining to people why he won’t use it. At the end of the explanation, nobody knows why he still won’t use it because the explanation is no good. And I mean, honestly we have a president that in my opinion really doesn’t know what he’s doing. We have a president that doesn’t know what’s happening, and when it comes to the military, you know, I always say, keep the oil. I said don’t go in, but I said keep the oil. Had we kept the oil, you wouldn’t have ISIS, because they fuel their growth with the oil."

LeeG
10-04-2016, 04:40 PM
I read that 'paragraph' through a few times to try to suss out anything coherent. I failed completely, too many non sequiturs, had too stop looking for logic.

I almost followed the fallacious comments about "depleted" forces then he goes totally down the rabbit hole with "we can't let this be like the history of the Mafia". Imagine him in his first meeting with the Secretary of Defense, "we must be great again, and not let this be like the history of the Mafia!"

WoodyHuscarl
10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I just realized what his syntax reminds me of. There used to be a website called Multibabel. You typed in a sentence or paragraph, then it would translate in through 8 or ten other languages before returning it to English. Most of the time it was completely disjointed, and barely intelligible; the only way you'd understand it was if you knew what the original sentence was. Funny site, I think there is one that replaced it.

John of Phoenix
10-05-2016, 12:09 PM
I just realized what his syntax reminds me of. There used to be a website called Multibabel. You typed in a sentence or paragraph, then it would translate in through 8 or ten other languages before returning it to English. Most of the time it was completely disjointed, and barely intelligible; the only way you'd understand it was if you knew what the original sentence was. Funny site, I think there is one that replaced it.There's the problem - no babble fish.

http://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/thumb/4/41/Babel1.jpg/800px-Babel1.jpg

WoodyHuscarl
10-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Good old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

John of Phoenix
10-05-2016, 12:27 PM
I'd love to get my hands on one of those telepathic excretor things. What fun a person could wreak with that!