PDA

View Full Version : cpes as sole finish?

jc
05-07-2003, 04:12 AM
I recently put a matte polyurethane on our new fir sole and didn't like the look or feel. It was like a skating rink. I really wanted an oil finish but fir just doesn't work as an oiled surface (splinters easily and gets black quick). I recently stripped off the poly and applied cpes as a matte finish (1 coat). So far I am very pleased! It gives the natural look I wanted and the non slip grip as well. It prevents any splinters from forming on the hatch edges and is now more durable to denting. The boat is a traditional schooner so the cabin is not in direct sunlight. Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea? The sole is 3/4" tongue & groove. :confused:

NormMessinger
05-07-2003, 09:15 AM
I'll leave it to Cleek to tell you, as only he could, if it a bad idea or not but it certainly is an "out side the box" application for CPES. Since CPES is <30% epoxy and has no UV inhibitors it surely can't give much protection. I put some on okoume plywood to give it quick protection until I got around to dynel and epoxy. It turned black after it got rained on.

I really like the looks of the white oak floor boards in TT Prairie Islander which have two coats of Deks Olje.

thechemist
05-07-2003, 10:37 AM
You could just continue with your program and put a few coats of a good GLOSS varnish on top of the cpes, to get the UV protection, and then when the varnish is fully cured, rub it down with a bit of soapy water and a medium abrasive pad. That will get you the matte finish that will make it look as if there is no finish on it, will have all the flexibility of the varnish [flatted varnishes are much less flexible] and should have the reduced skid characteristic you want.

NormMessinger
05-07-2003, 12:06 PM
That it! Not a bad idea but the beginning of a good one. (Never mind, Bob)

jc
05-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input. The cpes has filled in some of the surface grain but still leaves hardened ridges which gives a great nonskid quality. I think these ridges will wear down with time. The surface does hold the dirt more as well, but seems to clean completely. I did manage to get a spot of black sitka 291 on it! I made the mistake of trying to remove it immediately with mineral spirits. It left a small residue in the grain which I can't get out. If I had let it dry it would have rubbed off with my finger. I really like the look of the cpes and the nonskid is incredible. I guess my primary concern is how the surface will wear. Will the cpes just flake off after awhile or will we wear down bare spots in the heavy traffic areas? Also would the resulting flakes of epoxy/wood be a health problem? thanks.

thechemist
05-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jc:
Thanks for the input. The cpes has filled in some of the surface grain but still leaves hardened ridges which gives a great nonskid quality. I think these ridges will wear down with time. The surface does hold the dirt more as well, but seems to clean completely. I did manage to get a spot of black sitka 291 on it! I made the mistake of trying to remove it immediately with mineral spirits. It left a small residue in the grain which I can't get out. If I had let it dry it would have rubbed off with my finger. I really like the look of the cpes and the nonskid is incredible. I guess my primary concern is how the surface will wear. Will the cpes just flake off after awhile or will we wear down bare spots in the heavy traffic areas? Also would the resulting flakes of epoxy/wood be a health problem? thanks.Flakes of any fully cured epoxy product with or without wood should not be any more of a health problem than the cured resin itself or the wood itself. Also, there is no epoxy resin in a cured "epoxy resin". All of the epoxide groups get used up in the reaction.

jc
05-08-2003, 03:03 PM
THANKS!