PDA

View Full Version : A fantastic article: "Five Days That Shaped A Presidency"

Norman Bernstein
10-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Of course, there are perhaps a half dozen who will NOT read the article, and half of them will probably say something nasty.....

....but the interview with Obama, by Jonathan Chait, is simply the best thing I've read in ages... a clear and very informative inside account of several events during the Obama presidency, related by Obama himself, which do more than anything I've ever read, to illustrate the challenges faced by every President when trying to lead the country.

One snippet:

Obama: "It also is why, I think, for Democrats, it’s important for us to understand that whether or not we are able to achieve certain policy objectives is going to be primarily dependent on how many votes we’ve got in each chamber and our ability to move public opinion. And it is not, these days, going to be as dependent on classic deal-making between Democrats and Republicans, or that we won’t move enough to the center on fiscal policy or my — not just me, but subsequent presidents — playing enough golf or drinking enough Scotch with members. I have very cordial relations with a lot of the Republican members. We can have really great conversations and arrive at a meeting of the minds on a range of policy issues, but if they think they’re going to lose seats or that they’re going to lose their own seat because the social media has declared that they sold out the Republican Party, then they won’t do it. That dynamic, I think, is going to be harder and harder to change because of the balkanization of the media, because of political gerrymandering. It is evident that Republicans pay a price for that narrowing of their perspective in presidential elections, but for the individual member of Congress in a 60 percent Republican district in Oklahoma or Arkansas or anyplace in the country, that doesn’t matter. What matters is that all his constituencies or her constituencies are watching Fox News and listening to Rush, and they’re going to pay a price if they’re seen as being too cozy with a Democratic president."

This is well worth a read!

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/barack-obama-on-5-days-that-shaped-his-presidency.html

Ian McColgin
10-03-2016, 03:03 PM
It's going to be the problem until the Republicans rejoin the adult world and care again about democratic self-governance.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Yes; very sobering article.

skuthorp
10-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Social media is changing the face of politics by making it reactive and very short term, and making it vulnerable to small pressure groups and false popularity indications. That's not the way to run a country.

Osborne Russell
10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Social media just provides opportunities for the rabble to clamor, listen for the echo, and congratulate each other.

A republic, not a democracy, thank God, while it lasts.

RonW
10-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Well norm here is the problem...The left just can't understand or do they want to accept the fact that a large portion of the right has turned away from and even to the point of outcasting the old GOP

that was so willing to sit down with the left and negotiate out a deal where the left only got half of what they asked for, and then declare victory as to stopping some of the damage caused by the left.

But the problem is the left double their original intent before broadcasting their demands, so with a meet me half way deal they actually got all of what they originally wanted.

The new wacko radical tea party right wingnut wingers, are just saying no and no means no......So the left is throwing a temper tantrum...

I have told you and the liberals before it is a winner takes all this time around, there will be no quarters, watch and see, and I expect the same if the queen is elected,

skuthorp
10-03-2016, 05:00 PM
"Well norm here is the problem...The left just can't understand or do they want to accept the fact that a large portion of the right has turned away from and even to the point of outcasting the old GOP"

Oh I understand Ron, and the Dem's are in the same position, their voters are no pleased either but the prospect of Trump keeps them quiet at present. It's a western world problem. The parties administrations have distanced themselves from their support base and the base is reacting. There have been plenty of examples posted recently. The problem is that reactive politics does not make for good policy and planning. But given that ols party organisations may be redundant, all that will happen is that a new bunch of political operatives will replace them, not necessarily under the old party banners.

George Jung
10-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Excellent article/read. Thanks for posting it.

Paul Pless
10-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Very good article.

Obama still sucks. . .

Norman Bernstein
10-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Very good article.

Obama still sucks. . .

...but now you have a little more insight into the constraints that ANY President must operate under... right?

George Jung
10-03-2016, 08:21 PM
You're gonna really miss Obama... maybe not today, nor tomorrow - but soon, and likely for 4 - 8 years.

Careful what you wish for!

RonW
10-03-2016, 08:25 PM
...but now you have a little more insight into the constraints that ANY President must operate under... right?

Is this the beginning of all of the excuses of why nothing has been accomplished over the last 8 years.....

Paul Pless
10-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Is this the beginning of all of the excuses of why nothing has been accomplished over the last 8 years.....

Just so

Osborne Russell
10-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Then we'll get around to the constraints on Obama.

oznabrag
11-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Just so

Right.

Pless you are going to be head over heels in LOVE with President Trump!

He has the backing of every soulless jackal in Washington to 'accomplish his agenda', so he will be getting lots of stuff 'done'.

The big surprise for you, and people like you, is going to happen when he figures out that whether the Second Amendment nutbuckets were right or not about the purpose of the 2nd, it really is a lot easier to round up dissidents and ship them off to prison if they are not armed.

This will dovetail nicely with his elimination of the Judicial Branch and the protection of the 4th Amendment.

No pesky delays!

If Fuhrer Drumph accuses someone of a crime, they must be guilty, after all.

He will not be stymied by some silly, obstructionist Congress.

Those who oppose will simply disappear.

Glen Longino
11-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Social media just provides opportunities for the rabble to clamor, listen for the echo, and congratulate each other.

A republic, not a democracy, thank God, while it lasts.

Careful, Osborne, when you become cynical I become morose!;)

Too Little Time
11-14-2016, 02:33 PM
I guess the Democrats no longer have to worry about governing. Or working with the Democrats.

They can just do what they want to. And they have no one to blame except themselves.