PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I am selling a 17 foot daysailer/rowing boat on Craigslist to benefit our Sea Scout ship. The boat was a donation.

I have emails from a buyer in Hawaii who wants to buy it and have it shipped to him. It smells like a scam, but the odd thing is that his email address and telephone numbers appear to be legit.

Still doesn't seem right

CWSmith
10-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I am selling a 17 foot daysailer/rowing boat on Craigslist to benefit our Sea Scout ship. The boat was a donation.

I have emails from a buyer in Hawaii who wants to buy it and have it shipped to him. It smells like a scam, but the odd thing is that his email address and telephone numbers appear to be legit.

Still doesn't seem right

Payment in advance including shipping?

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Payment in advance including shipping?

So it seems

I have not responded to either email

ljb5
10-03-2016, 02:49 PM
The Craigslist scams I've seen are pretty easy to spot.

They'll send you a cashier's check for more than the asking price and then come up with some reason to ask you to give some of the extra money to some guy they know, i.e., a cousin or someone who is supposed to facilitate the shipping. They try to sweeten the deal by offering the balance of the overage to you.

Or they'll send you the cashier's check right away, then decide not to buy the boat. Then they come up with some reason for why you can't just return the check... they want you to give them cash back, and then go deposit the check.

Obviously, the cashier's check bounces, but only after you've handed off $100 or so to some guy you'll never see again.

The first time someone tried to pull it on me, I was confused because it was such an obvious and weak ploy. I was expecting them to put forth some effort to try to trick me, but the whole thing was so obvious it was like they'd phoned it in. I was expecting David Mamet and they came through with Three Stooges.

I suppose they just try it 10,000 times looking for one person dumb enough to fall for it, so they put very little effort into each attempt. I was unimpressed.

jack grebe
10-03-2016, 03:10 PM

Still doesn't seem right

Someone needs to show up in person with cash...... No exceptions!

George Jung
10-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Yeah. Have 'em walk it over.

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
I have not and will not respond to the emails. Local buyers only.

I just wonder how the scammers got a name, email, phone numbers (and website) that are all legit

delecta
10-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Not trying to defend a possible fraud-er but keep in mind that Hawaii is in the middle of no where and I'm not sure what you're selling but he might have to buy it state side and pay for shipping is a giving.

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 03:33 PM
A small sailboat is not something that you cannot buy in Hawaii

BETTY-B
10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Which Sea Scout Ship are you selling it for?

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Which Sea Scout Ship are you selling it for?

Propeller. Technically, it's being sold by the Spirit of Propeller, a 501(c)(3) charity that supports the Propeller

Michael D. Storey
10-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Someone needs to show up in person with cash...... No exceptions!You got it. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

Kevin T
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I think a big component of the scam, especially when it is an item being listed for sale to benefit a charity, is that the scammer is counting on the person placing the web listing as being a person who wants to do good for their particular charity.

So the scammer counts on the possibility that the seller might be willing to suspend belief of possible illicit motivations by the scammer, in order to make the sale to benefit the charity.

Most people of a charitable nature are more likely to extend the same charitable belief towards the scammer never believing that someone would exploit something good-natured for nefarious gains.

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 04:05 PM
You got it. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

I used to work for the Washington State Attorney General's Office in Consumer Protection, and this adage was proven time and again

Garret
10-03-2016, 04:43 PM
How sad that in today's world the immediate assumption is scam.

Why not invest $5 & call him? Just tell him out straight you have concerns & if he's for real, he'll get it. If not, you'll be able to tell.

Michael D. Storey
10-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Why not invest $5 & call him? Just tell him out straight you have concerns & if he's for real, he'll get it. If not, you'll be able to tell.How could you tell? Can you always tell when someone standing in front of you it telling the truth? Think that it would be easier when you can't see the person? If you were a scamster, and someone called you up and said, 'are you telling me the truth?' what would your reply be?
Why would someone want to buy something that would cost more to ship than it was worth, especially when a similar one could be found nearby with little or no shipping costs?

CK 17
10-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Can't you set up a paypal account? He sends you the money, you send him the boat. It's been a long time, but I sold a bike to a guy across the country using it. Went real well.

Garret
10-03-2016, 05:34 PM
How could you tell? Can you always tell when someone standing in front of you it telling the truth? Think that it would be easier when you can't see the person? If you were a scamster, and someone called you up and said, 'are you telling me the truth?' what would your reply be?
Why would someone want to buy something that would cost more to ship than it was worth, especially when a similar one could be found nearby with little or no shipping costs?

See posts #2 & 17.

BETTY-B
10-03-2016, 11:18 PM
Propeller. Technically, it's being sold by the Spirit of Propeller, a 501(c)(3) charity that supports the Propeller

Oh cool! I got my girlfriend's boy on to that boat this year. He loves it. I launch him down the street at Magnuson in his 11' Whaler so he can do the commute for the Thursday night meetings!

Bobcat
10-03-2016, 11:38 PM
My eldest daughter and her best friend were on the ship until they aged out. It's a great program

mariner2k
10-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Must be a shortage of 17 foot day sailors in Hawaii? ????

Bobcat
10-04-2016, 01:09 PM

Why not invest $5 & call him? Just tell him out straight you have concerns & if he's for real, he'll get it. If not, you'll be able to tell.

Even if it's not a scam, I have no interest in dealing with shippers. I want to sell to someone who will pay us for the boat, hook up the trailer and be gone.