PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Corio Vertue - Episode 2

apindrans
01-21-2004, 06:52 AM
It's been a while since my last post, but work has been done, a lot of energy expended, and dollars committed.

All through hull fittings have been replaced, rot in the transom has been 'bodged' till next year when it will looked at by a qualified boat builder. The steel floors have been neutralised for rust and protected with a tar coating. In the meantime I've been advised that the 20-30 yr old Volvo MD1 needs replacing (or suffer the consequences), and with much pain have conceded that in the long run a new Volvo Penta 10hp. is the best option.

Replacing the standing and running rigging was a known factor, but when it came to the option of eliminating corosion in the mast, and having it totally re-sealed and painted I decided on the complete solution. However, to save dollars I decided to strip the paint and fittings from the mast myself, but little did I realise the pain, effort, and boredom in removing the paint, and sanding back to bare metal a 10m mast. After a whole week-end of work there is only another 3m to go!

I thought the major expenses had been covered, but then discovered that spare diaphrams(?) for my double action bilge pump were unavailable and that I would have to buy a new pump. And just to add another obstacle to re-launcing Corio Vertue the length of the depth transducer is too short to cope with the fairing piece for the hull plus hull plank thickness.

Now I'm waiting for the engine to be installed, an then the mast to be stepped. In the meantime I have to think about paint work. Question to the forum is:

1. There are gaps in the cabin side timbers, and above waterline planking so should I use linseed putty to fill the voids, or the dreaded epoxy?
2. I'm thinking of painting the vertical deck structures white, and the horizontal surfaces with a beige deck paint. any comments?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Q1 - I am not quite sure where you mean, but I would not use epoxy if there is any chance of movement.

Q2 - good idea.

Incidentally my MD2 is 36; it had been pronounced beyond hope by several engineers but since it cannot hear them it just keeps soldiering on.

imported_Jimmy
01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
you don't need to replace an engine just because it is 20-30 years old. What are the threatened "consequences", that you will have to sail home? There are lots of old MD1 and MD2s around going strong. If you are restoring an old wooden boat there are probably lots of other things you can spend the money on.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Indeed there are. Over the past 20 years the New Engine Fund has been accumulated more than once, and spent on new floors, new cockpit, new mast step...you get the picture. So the MD2 staggers on!

Lion
01-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Good luck with the Vertue; I had 'Julia Jane' (Sail no 127?) - wish I still did .

On engines, 'JJ' had a huge monster of a Kelvin, but I suspect its still going. However when looking at a diesel for my Catboat project I spent a lot of time looking at the options and got advice from the forum. General consensus is that the Volvo is way toooo expensive and the Kubota based motors are the way to go. Don't be fooled, all these small engines are tractor based, so its the dollars and conversion quality.

A very good local Kubota conversion is John Wichard at www.wm-marine-diesel.com (http://www.wm-marine-diesel.com) . Nice guy as well.

Lion

[ 01-23-2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Lion ]

apindrans
01-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info, and once again much appreciated.

After much deliberation I eventually chose to replace the engine for the following reasons:

1. The main service points, and impeller, were located at the rear of the engine, and I physically could not reach them from the cockpit hatch. I'm over 6ft tall.
2. I was quoted AUD$3-4000 to have the engine completely serviced with all hoses and electrics replaced. The engine would have had to come out of the boat to replace the stern gland anyway.
3. The engine did look in a very sorry state, and hadn't been used in over 5 years. It did'nt inspire confidence, and there was no way I could get in and out of the marina berth without an engine.

As for choice of engine I was swayed towards the Volvo because of a guranteed trade in, and very attractive finace terms which would ease the pain of purchase over a 3 year period. I did consider the Kubota, but felt uncomfortable without having a supplier nearby, there was no gurantee of immediate delivery, and I would have had to part with a bulk sum of cash.

As I plan to keep Corio Vertue for quite some time the assurance of a new, and reliable engine is quite comforting.