PDA

View Full Version : Cuba si, yankee no

Shang
09-28-2016, 10:33 PM
Cuba si, yankee...Oh, hi there Senior Trump!

Evidently Trump sent trade representatives to Cuba while the U.S. embargo was in effect--a federal offense. Details are scheduled for tomorrow.

Gerarddm
09-28-2016, 11:16 PM
One again the Feds will do nothing. Drumpf has blatantly been illegally trolling for foreign campaign donations. Crickets from DoJ. I don't get it.

BETTY-B
09-29-2016, 02:00 AM
Just how big of a sack of dog vomit does one have to be before these followers wake the F up? It's unfathomably deplorable I tell ya.

"A company controlled by Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for president, secretly conducted business in communist Cuba during Fidel Castro's presidency despite strict American trade bans that made such undertakings illegal, according to interviews with former Trump executives, internal company records and court filings.Documents show that the Trump company spent a minimum of $68,000 for its 1998 foray into Cuba at a time when the corporate expenditure of even a penny in the Caribbean country was prohibited without governmental approval. But the company did not spend the money directly. Instead, with Trump's knowledge, executives funneled the cash for the Cuba trip through an American consulting firm called Seven Arrows Investment and Development Corporation.Trump vowed to maintain the embargo and never spend his or his companies money in Cuba until Fidel Castro was removed from power. He did not disclose that, seven months earlier, Trump Hotels already had spend money sending consultants on the secret trip to conduct business in Havana."

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2810968.1475118406!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/cuba29n-4-web.jpg

skuthorp
09-29-2016, 04:44 AM
Apart from bloody murder live on the nightly news I doubt he'll be pulled up for anything whilst the election is in the offing. After………. I'm not sure even then. Strikes me as the type who knows where all the bodies are buried.

Reynard38
09-29-2016, 05:40 AM
One again the Feds will do nothing. Drumpf has blatantly been illegally trolling for foreign campaign donations. Crickets from DoJ. I don't get it.

It couldn't be simpler.
He's in the big club, and you are not.

Or to put it another way it's the golden rule.
Those with the gold make the rules.

CWSmith
09-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Just how big of a sack of dog vomit does one have to be before these followers wake the F up?

Much, much bigger. This is a blind rejection vote against the very idea of federal government.

Breakaway
09-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Does anyone think that this is really wrong? Not illegal--we know it is--but do you think it is wrong to go to Cuba?

I don't. The whole Cuban thing is very mean-spirited on the part of the US.

Kevin

Ian McColgin
09-29-2016, 08:06 AM
The fact that we should never have embargoed Cuba does not mean that Trump was doing the noble thing in his exploitive dealings. He's like Leona Helmsley in his belief that following the law and paying taxes is for little people. But she was far less a whiner.

biga
09-29-2016, 08:29 AM
The fact that we should never have embargoed Cuba does not mean that Trump was doing the noble thing in his exploitive dealings. He's like Leona Helmsley in his belief that following the law and paying taxes is for little people. But she was far less a whiner.

name that quote

There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all... One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly...I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.

Ian McColgin
09-29-2016, 08:36 AM
The one from Trump about taxes, not laws in general, that he said on the night of the debate and lied about an hour later? Or Helmsley's famous line. which again was about taxes and not law in general?

I happily infer from the business and personal behavior of both people that their disrespect for taxes extends to most law but perhaps not all. Neither has, so far as I know and despite what I'm hearing, personally committed murder. That we know of. But you never know. Just repeating what I've heard.

Norman Bernstein
09-29-2016, 08:59 AM
There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all... One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly...I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.

...I fully agree... and it is why I think Snowden was NOT any sort of civil disobedience hero. Had he blown the whistle and faced the consequences, in the true spirit of civil disobedience, one could say that he was acting bravely, standing up for principle. The fact that he did everything to ESCAPE the consequences of his civil disobedience, makes him nothing more than a traitor, in my eyes.

TomF
09-29-2016, 09:59 AM
I think that the Cuba embargo was silly, and that doing business with Cuba was not morally wrong. Canada's been doing it for years, and you folks have just lately come to the table.

That said, it's kinda like impeaching a president because he lied about a blowjob, eh?

biga
09-29-2016, 10:00 AM
I think that the Cuba embargo was silly, and that doing business with Cuba was not morally wrong. Canada's been doing it for years, and you folks have just lately come to the table.

That said, it's kinda like impeaching a president because he lied about a blowjob, eh?

well, the BJ was legal... the lying to congress under oath was not.

TomF
09-29-2016, 10:04 AM
well, the BJ was legal... the lying to congress under oath was not.My point exactly. Doing business in Cuba may have been moral, but lying about maintaining the embargo and contravening express American Federal law was not. Wasn't legal either.

Canoeyawl
09-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Does anyone think that this is really wrong? Not illegal--we know it is--but do you think it is wrong to go to Cuba?

I don't. The whole Cuban thing is very mean-spirited on the part of the US.

Kevin

Except when Cuba had (Russian) Nuclear missiles on our doorstep aimed right at us.

Oh well, that's not important.

TomF
09-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Except when Cuba had (Russian) Nuclear missiles on our doorstep aimed right at us.

Oh well, that's not important.I figure that America (and the rest of the world) have been trading with Russia and China right the way along, and they posed a whole lot more of a threat, much more recently.

David G
09-29-2016, 02:53 PM
name that quote

For posterity.