PDA

View Full Version : The Chris is no longer mine

Shang
09-28-2016, 08:36 PM
I've been concerned about the Chris for the past several years. There have been a series of engine problems, a lot of deck work needed, the canvas top was weathering, and a slow leak had appeared in the hull. I considered trying to sell it but most people on Lake of the Ozarks seem to prefer very fast, low-maintenance plastic boats.

Two weeks ago a gentleman knocked on my door, he had seen our Chris in its slip and wanted to ask if I would consider selling it to him. He explained that he also owned a Chris Craft similar to ours but a few years younger, and he wanted another for parts--in particular he was interested in the vintage fittings such as the running lights, cleats, boarding ladder and spot light. We discussed this. I explained to him what the problems were, but told him that I would throw in the dual-axle trailer for the boat.

As payment the gentleman agreed to make a substantial donation to the animal shelter in our name. The animal shelter's receipt arrived yesterday, and today the gentleman and his helper towed the Chris to his dock elsewhere on the lake.

David G
09-28-2016, 08:38 PM
A milestone. Raise a glass to the good times.

Shang
09-28-2016, 08:55 PM
We had fun with the Chris for more than twenty years, it was time to move on.
Besides, it's going to help another Chris owner maintain his.

bobbys
09-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Best 2 days of a boat owners life.

Shang
09-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Best 2 days of a boat owners life.

True.

Vince Brennan
09-28-2016, 10:25 PM
Salute to you for enjoying her for so long!

Salute to the new owner for being so honest about his desire for her acquisition AND for coming thru on his contribution to a "Worthy Cause".

Really, kudos to all concerned.

Bravo Zulu is two-blocked.

Lew Barrett
09-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Life is drier but somewhat easier without a big wooden boat to fret over. Congrats.

WoodyHuscarl
09-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Sad to let a boat go; but you made an excellent choice in whom to give it to, and where the money went.

I salute you, Lew.

C. Ross
09-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Well done.

Figment
09-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the club!

bobbys
09-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Thos did burst my bubble I had of SHANG.

Here I envisioned him with pipe, old tweed jacked, in his shop with his lady bringing him imported Cawwffee while he listens to smooth jazz while holding a german tool freshly sharpened...

Here I yam with 2 old sawhorses out in the rain with a thermos of instant coffee. With only a country radio station I can only get half the time with a yard sale skill saw.

Yeah, life is not fair.

Lew Barrett
09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Sad to let a boat go; but you made an excellent choice in whom to give it to, and where the money went.

I salute you, Lew.

Hi Woody and thanks but I let my boat go a few years ago. This thread celebrates Shang's parole.

The circumstances for us were a little different. Rita was in peak condition, really turnkey. My concern was that I was no longer motivated to keep her that way. She was a full time proposition and I'd run out of gas. I figured it was time for us all to move along. I miss the boating sometimes, but not the effort to maintain a large wooden cruiser. On balance, it was the right decision.

pkrone
09-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Nice job, Shang.