PDA

View Full Version : unfortunate

Paul Pless
09-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Duncan Gibbs http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png
Banned

Willin'
09-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Say it ain't so! The Antipodean Pr0n Purveyor done somebody wrong?

Sky Blue
09-25-2016, 08:29 PM
https://youtu.be/ym_mJokfTQg

Paul Girouard
09-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Over gun control ??? Eh , it happens.

jsjpd1
09-25-2016, 08:30 PM
He ran pretty hard at Ian on his cloud pron thread but it didn't seem overly ban worthy.

Willin'
09-25-2016, 08:35 PM
Another forumite once postulated that BF has become a controlling financial interest in this board somehow and has considerable editorial discretion. I tended to disbelieve it at the time. Perhaps there's more there than I would have guessed.

RonW
09-25-2016, 08:37 PM
No way! The mean-mouthed mouthed off again.

I like your philosophical outlook....and wholeheartedly agree......

C. Ross
09-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Duncan, old son! Hope it's not for long.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 08:49 PM
He ran pretty hard at Ian on his cloud pron thread but it didn't seem overly ban worthy.

Not that it'll be believed, but I didn't push the button.

He was totally over the top with what he wrote, but his post had three fingers pointing back at him and there was only one pointed my way. I hope he is OK and isn't dealing with some sort of demons, because... well, just because.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Another forumite once postulated that BF has become a controlling financial interest in this board somehow and has considerable editorial discretion. I tended to disbelieve it at the time. Perhaps there's more there than I would have guessed.

There's always room for a good conspiracy theory.

Paul Girouard
09-25-2016, 08:56 PM
I nearly s$$t my pants.

That would be the Depends thread.

pipefitter
09-25-2016, 08:56 PM
As a curious, less frequent regular here, you can always tell when someone is about to take a vacation. A certain, notable behavior pattern, that seems to center around attention.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 08:57 PM
I nearly s$$t my pants.

Was it Rummie who got 2 years for posting a photo of someone who did?

Willin'
09-25-2016, 08:57 PM
There's always room for a good conspiracy theory.

Can you prove you weren't there on the grassy knoll?:D

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Can you prove you weren't there on the grassy knoll?:D

Hell yeah... IIRC though, it was a fellow Aussie who provided the thesis that JFK was accidentally killed by a secret service agent in the following car. Oswald missed, the SS guy panicked... his gun went off. Oops.

CWSmith
09-25-2016, 09:00 PM
How does a ban-worthy comment erupt on a thread about clouds?

Waddie
09-25-2016, 09:05 PM
How do you know when someones been banned?

regards,
Waddie

Breakaway
09-25-2016, 09:05 PM
P'raps we need some,"Self-Control," threads in lieu of the endless, "Gun Control," ones?

Kevin

Paul Girouard
09-25-2016, 09:10 PM
How do you know when someones been banned?

regards,
Waddie

You don't know unless you notice under there name where like in your case " Senior Member " is written.

Pless may have some one who notifies him and he's "Ban proof" or so it seems. ;-))

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 09:34 PM
How does a ban-worthy comment erupt on a thread about clouds?

There's only one person who can answer that. I merely referred to what I thought were some inconsistencies in light sources... shadows, etc.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/28526777354_dc3ff4955a_c.jpg

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Why do people dislike you so much Ian?
You're such a swell guy.:)

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Why do people dislike you so much Ian?
You're such a swell guy.:)

Apparently, they keep comparing themselves to me and coming up short.... so, I get the blame.

ron ll
09-25-2016, 10:03 PM
There's only one person who can answer that. I merely referred to what I thought were some inconsistencies in light sources... shadows, etc.

Not sure it was quite that innocent Ian. I read the thread.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Not sure it was quite that innocent Ian. I read the thread.

I'm always amazed at what people read into simple comments. Why? Here's what I wrote:

There's more than just a whiff of Photoshop there.

Note the shadow under the leg of the guy sitting at the stern (the one behind the winch handle). Where is that shadow for the guys in the foreground? There seems to be three sources of light...

Here's a similar cloud type that I saw near Ban Pong, in southern Thailand. No Photoshop....

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Thailand/darker2_zpse62f21f9.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Thailand/darker2_zpse62f21f9.jpg.html)

edit - and in 2 or 3 minutes flat, I saved that pic, PS'd it... and here it is again... See the issue now?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Randoms-3/i-n7M2p8t/0/O/darker2_zpse62f21f9psed.jpg

I was going to do the same effect to that cloud, but couldn't see the source pic, which I may or may not have lost in a 'puter crash (I'm sure it's somewhere).... so I left it at that. I don't see anything narky or other than innocent in what I said. If that's enough to set someone off, they've got issues well beyond anything to do with me.

Then again, there's a certain lady who is still raving on about my animal cruelty because of this photo. She apparently believes I biffed the 'roo... which happens to be about 15' away btw

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/igatenby/Fifth/ratnew2_zpspgratz2v.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Fifth/ratnew2_zpspgratz2v.jpg.html)

:D

skuthorp
09-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Nothing is quite as it seems these days, including us and clouds and light sources, and politicians.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Nothing is quite as it seems these days, including us and clouds and light sources, and politicians.

It's always better when one is enlightened.... and attacks the issue rather than the man.

09-25-2016, 10:28 PM
It was a negative post Ian.
Dunc replied with more negativity.
His mistake.
If you poke someone with a stick long enough, they're gonna take a swing at you.
You knew what you were doing.
You're good at it.

skuthorp
09-25-2016, 10:30 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxnwEDk1cwqnY5r551d2q7Iq99U-tYA9JwyFo0wPIJuEf_S284nsmpNA

Ian McColgin
09-25-2016, 10:31 PM
It's also graceful when one has learned that an attack was misinformed to make some sort of acknowledgement, perhaps even apology. Not mandatory by any means. But still graceful. Part of keeping dialogue pleasant and productive.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:32 PM
It was a negative post Ian.
Dunc replied with more negativity.
His mistake.
If you poke someone with a stick long enough, they're gonna take a swing at you.
You knew what you were doing.
You're good at it.

It was no more negative than this post of yours.

It wasn't intended as negative.... I wasn't criticising something of Duncan's - it's a third party photo.

My comment was intended to stimulate social intercourse and debate on the subject of such enhancement.... in the same way that if I was talking to a woman with enhanced features, I (probably) wouldn't comment on it.... but if I was talking with a third party, the issue may come up for discussion. The damn subject was "Clouds".

Hell's bells.... there's millions of dodgy cloud photos out there.... and that one strikes me as one of them.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:36 PM
It's also graceful when one has learned that an attack was misinformed to make some sort of acknowledgement, perhaps even apology. Not mandatory by any means. But still graceful. Part of keeping dialogue pleasant and productive.

Oh come on Ian. Attack? You HAVE to be kidding.

What's the old saying, that we aren't supposed to use any more because it might be un-PC? Big girl's blouse, wasn't it?

If that's defined as an attack... the definer might need to consider handing in his Man Card

09-25-2016, 10:37 PM
It was no more negative than this post of yours.

Damn, I better be more careful eh?:)

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Damn, I better be more careful eh?:)

Hell no... live life to the fullest.

09-25-2016, 10:42 PM
You can bet on that.
What little I have left.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Just as a matter of interest... the photo was shot shortly before sunset on Aug 19th (at 19:16 hours... sunset is 21:02)... at f 4.0, 1/160 sec, ISO500 and with the flash off. I like the image, but it's a bit over-processed IN MY OPINION. Nothing overly wrong with that... I've been, ahem, known to do it myself.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/28526777354_dc3ff4955a_c.jpg

Ian McColgin
09-25-2016, 10:56 PM
I happen to agree that some people respond to a poke more intemperately than I would, but then I am a bit on the phlegmatic side. I am not addressing those perhaps overly touchy people. Those folk are responsible for themselves.

Others' responsibility for how they take things does not excuse me if I say something hurtful that is untrue. I believe in admitting it when I am wrong. I find it leads people to take the process of conversation more seriously and more productively.

I also understand that there are people who as a point of honor or of ego do not favor owning an insulting error. They will have different conversations than I have.

I don't at all discount the rhetorical utility of a poking sort of insult. It's far better if it's also true but for many on this forum and in life that's a secondary consideration if the goal is not persuasion of that other party but is instead provocation and point scoring. Interrogating an hostile witness, for example, is not about persuading that witness of anything. If you can make the witness blow up, make a fool of him or her self, or become mired in contradictions, one may well persuade a judge or jury or debate audience quite effectively.

On this forum I personally do both but I try to keep it humorous, sporting, gentle, and above all true.

L.W. Baxter
09-25-2016, 10:58 PM
It was something he liked and you crapped on it, BF.

If it's enough for you to be correct, well, have it writ on your tombstone, "the photo was enhanced".

Personally, I adjust every picture I take for brightness, color, and contrast. I expect most pictures I see are likewise treated.

So, observing that a photo has been "shopped" doesn't signify genius. The real genius is knowing when to be still.

Jimmy W
09-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Duncan had previously requested that Ian didn't reply on threads that he started. It wasn't just about that one post.

jsjpd1
09-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Coincidentally, I noticed that Nick(Peerie Maa) was just banned too. Boy, is it something in the water?

09-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Coincidentally, I noticed that Nick(Peerie Maa) was just banned too. Boy, is it something in the water?

Holy Cow!:(
What happened?

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 11:24 PM
It was something he liked and you crapped on it, BF.

If it's enough for you to be correct, well, have it writ on your tombstone, "the photo was enhanced".

Personally, I adjust every picture I take for brightness, color, and contrast. I expect most pictures I see are likewise treated.

So, observing that a photo has been "shopped" doesn't signify genius. The real genius is knowing when to be still.

... are you working on that?

PeterSibley
09-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Duncan will be missed .

09-25-2016, 11:30 PM
^ yes he will.

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Duncan had previously requested that Ian didn't reply on threads that he started. It wasn't just about that one post.

He doesn't own the forum. Note that word... 'forum'. If he doesn't want to see anything I post, he has (OK, had) tools at his disposal that allow that situation.

forum
ˈfɔːrəm/
noun

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

That particular photo... wasn't his... and it provided an interesting medium for debate. I didn't direct my comment at him - I, in fact, directed it to a comment made by GregH.

I didn't ask him (Dunc) to comment. I point blank refuse to accept that my post was in any way nasty or targeted at Duncan.

I didn't respond in any sort of nasty way after his attack either.... something that some here seem all too willing to overlook.

If you guys think it was anything nasty on my part, that's your issue that you need to deal with, not mine.... and if that's where you find yourselves, heaven help anyone involved in dealings with you... because you've got issues.

09-25-2016, 11:35 PM
I've got my poke proof vest on.
Poke away.:)

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Duncan will be missed .

Tell him that we look forward to his return, and I'll accept his apology if it's genuine.

Got a date, or would that be thought akin to giving information to the enemy? :d

The Bigfella
09-25-2016, 11:37 PM
I've got my poke proof vest on.
Poke away.:)

Why? What have you done that deserves a poke?

PeterSibley
09-25-2016, 11:37 PM

Ian is immune to polite requests of that nature.

09-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it's us not him.;)

L.W. Baxter
09-25-2016, 11:41 PM
... are you working on that?

Well, I did just stifle a yawn.

Gerarddm
09-26-2016, 12:03 AM
Nick banned too? WTH?

" It's a complex world, sometimes I feel just like a ch-ch-ch-chimpanzee. "

bobbys
09-26-2016, 12:44 AM
Hey! Where is jamie?

PeterSibley
09-26-2016, 01:43 AM
There'll be one or two.

The Bigfella
09-26-2016, 02:34 AM
There'll be one or two.

So, is this an example of a nasty comment?

Hwyl
09-26-2016, 03:42 AM
I strongly recommend ignore. It worked for me, it took a few months, but it worked.

PeterSibley
09-26-2016, 03:45 AM
I agree, it's informal but all the more effective for that.

skuthorp
09-26-2016, 03:56 AM
I get mad occasionally, but I get a laugh more often.

Paul Pless
09-26-2016, 04:04 AM
Tell him that we look forward to his return, and I'll accept his apology if it's genuine.

Got a date, or would that be thought akin to giving information to the enemy? :d

Some ego. Duncan was not banned for his comments to you on that thread or elsewhere. He owes you nothing.

Paul Pless
09-26-2016, 04:05 AM
Duncan will be missed .

Yup, greatly. For a year.

The Bigfella
09-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Some ego. Duncan was not banned for his comments to you on that thread or elsewhere. He owes you nothing.

The gender thread, eh? Hey... don't blame me... there's about a dozen who believed it, if your thread's got any cred.

The Bigfella
09-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Yup, greatly. For a year.

That's what ego will do for a guy.

jsjpd1
09-26-2016, 04:08 AM
A year?!? Really? Wow.

skuthorp
09-26-2016, 05:10 AM
Duncan wears his heart on on his sleve, it get's him int trouble.

lupussonic
09-26-2016, 05:11 AM
Duncan wasn't rude to you Ian, he was just vehement in telling you not to post on his thread, presumably because you two have crossed swords so many times. I don't see that as ban worthy.

What at the hell happened to Nick (Peerie)?

Breakaway
09-26-2016, 10:40 AM
A year?!? Really? Wow.
Yeah, its hard to fathom. I can see a month or two. I can also see a begone for life, given the right circumstances. But these year-long bans don't make sense to me. Of course, we serve at the pleasure of management...

Hey! Where is jamie?

Excelllent question. Does anyone know?

Kevin

TomF
09-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Nick banned too? WTH?

" It's a complex world, sometimes I feel just like a ch-ch-ch-chimpanzee. "Duncan and Nick both? Aww crap. That makes me really sad.

The Bigfella
09-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Well, BF's comments were more erudite than Gerrardm's terse and dismissive "snapshot" comment on many pictures posted here, but no more insulting. Gerrard doesn't fly off the handle when I (often) ask him to explain why he thinks one photo is a "snapshot" and another is a "photograph" (he never does). I think that Duncan was a bit overly thin-skinned over the pic under discussion.

But I disagree with some of your critique of the pic, BF - wanna get all nasty and name calling over it? <grin>

Hell yeah... it's names at 20 paces.

I don't comment on the whole snapshot / photograph / image issue very often... but there's two areas that irk me a bit with Photoshopped photos... that's clouds, sunsets and lighting sources. Yeah OK, three :). Pros tend to start their critiques with white balance, I think....

The abilities contained within PS / Lightroom to play with an image are significant (and that image has been run through both of those programs according to the embedded info). That's not a bad thing.... nor is it a bad thing to comment on what's been altered.

09-26-2016, 05:50 PM
I was gonna say something but It wasn't nice, so I'll say nothing, like Mom taught me.:)

Tom Montgomery
09-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah, its hard to fathom. I can see a month or two. I can also see a begone for life, given the right circumstances. But these year-long bans don't make sense to me. Of course, we serve at the pleasure of management...

Excellent question [about S.V. Arlie]. Does anyone know?
I agree that banishment of more than 6 months make no sense to me. With the exception of permanent bans that seem to have been appropriate so far. I guess Scot operates on the theory that progressively severe banishments make sense. I do not agree. But I am just a peon.

Jamie is due to return shortly after the general election. The last time I interacted with him... two months ago?... he indicated that he is not sure that he will return. He is turned off by what he considers to be favoritism by Scot Bell toward some forumites and not others.

Ian McColgin
09-26-2016, 06:08 PM
"Photoshopped" can take on two somewhat different meanings.

At first, with the snark about a shadow, it appeared that "photoshopped" was used to mean importing picture elements from elsewhere. This of course has always been true of photography. The brilliant yacht photos of the Rosenfelds would be nowhere without their commercial photography skill at making water, sky, and boat images from different files all blend seamlessly.

More recently with a touch of walk-back, "photoshopped" appears to mean working with the image, fiddling tints and contrast, maybe cropping and framing a bit. Again, this is normal in photography. When we were learning to develop, we fiddled with filter shadows over parts of the sheet, and rubbed either water or developer over other parts later in the process. Ansel Adams certainly didn't import a sky with the gay abandon of the Rosenfelds but he clearly had lots of artistic fun in the dark room.

It's really quite lovely when a photographer reveals some of his or her technique. But just as fun if the means behind the magic remains hidden.

It is an art form after all.

Joe (SoCal)
09-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Duncan wears his heart on on his sleve, it get's him int trouble.

I know that feeling, I used to care now I don't ;)
Ian you know I love ya - don't be an ass - OK :D

FYI Vermeer was the first to use photoshop in 1653 :D

Tom Montgomery
09-26-2016, 07:02 PM
FYI Vermeer was the first to use photoshop in 1653 :D
Probably. But not certain.

It seems that he employed a type of photo-realism. "Seems" is the operative word. We cannot know for sure.

Breakaway
09-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Photoshop was invented by John Knoll in the 1980's Knoll is/was an special effects man at Industrial Light and Magic, the FX division of George Lucas' Lucasfilm. It's purpose was and is, to make the fake appear real; to enhance, fabricate and distract. In the context of entertainment, these are fine qualities.

Kevin

bobbys
09-26-2016, 10:03 PM
If you look at that thread accusing me of a fling with Angelina you will see someone photoshopped more grey in my beard.

Sure I was pizzed.

What can Ya do?

Old Dryfoot
09-26-2016, 11:06 PM
If you look at that thread accusing me of a fling with Angelina you will see someone photoshopped more grey in my beard.

Sure I was pizzed.

What can Ya do?

Hey now!
It was the only way to minimize your gin blossom. ;)

bobbys
09-26-2016, 11:11 PM
Hey now!
It was the only way to minimize your gin blossom. ;).

You photoshopped that to make me less pretty then Angelina ..

Still, I held my anger.......

WX
09-27-2016, 06:24 AM

Interesting fantasy land you live in.

skuthorp
09-27-2016, 06:27 AM
A year?!? Really? Wow.
How about two………...

Chris Coose
09-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Just more AWWWW SHUCKS in this thread.

The Bigfella
09-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Okay, BF - I am standing at least 20 paces away, you.. you... antipodarian!

Careful... I've got long reach.

Hey, do you think if I passed the plate around, I could fund a trip into the remote mountain ranges of Laos?

jack grebe
09-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Careful... I've got long reach.

Hey, do you think if I passed the plate around, I could fund a trip into the remote mountain ranges of Laos?

One way?

Without internet?

The Bigfella
09-27-2016, 08:21 AM
I tried to fundraise for a good (I thought) cause here in the WBF and all I achieved was one donation (Amanda thanks you very much - you know who you are...) and a lot of mean, nasty insults to Amanda's character. I won't expect generosity from here again.

Well, since I normally get the blame for other's indiscretions, I figured I might get a paid holiday. :d

The Bigfella
09-27-2016, 08:21 AM
One way?

Without internet?

Depends how much you are willing to donate, Jack.

Paul Pless
09-27-2016, 08:31 AM
One way?

Without internet?

You owe me some coffee.

hokiefan
09-27-2016, 08:53 AM
You owe me some coffee.

So the keyboard is safe this time?

Canoez
09-27-2016, 08:55 AM
So the keyboard is safe this time?

He bought the Logitech washable one. Oh, and a waterproof phone case. :d

NickW
09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
What at the hell happened to Nick (Peerie)?

Anybody heard from t'other Nick?

Nick

The Bigfella
09-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Anybody heard from t'other Nick?

Nick

He's been seen in other venues

pkrone
09-30-2016, 09:05 PM
"Photoshopped" can take on two somewhat different meanings.

At first, with the snark about a shadow, it appeared that "photoshopped" was used to mean importing picture elements from elsewhere. This of course has always been true of photography. The brilliant yacht photos of the Rosenfelds would be nowhere without their commercial photography skill at making water, sky, and boat images from different files all blend seamlessly.

More recently with a touch of walk-back, "photoshopped" appears to mean working with the image, fiddling tints and contrast, maybe cropping and framing a bit. Again, this is normal in photography. When we were learning to develop, we fiddled with filter shadows over parts of the sheet, and rubbed either water or developer over other parts later in the process. Ansel Adams certainly didn't import a sky with the gay abandon of the Rosenfelds but he clearly had lots of artistic fun in the dark room.

It's really quite lovely when a photographer reveals some of his or her technique. But just as fun if the means behind the magic remains hidden.

It is an art form after all.

Very pleasant thoughts, sir. And I completely agree. The photo below was taken by a pro in Salzburg. It was a nasty day, raining and gray. But he was able to manipulate his shot to make a pleasing result.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13726734_10208806276941975_7541518012713839332_n.j pg?oh=9346c8d1cc04dee919585f64a5075fa4&oe=5874C46A

skuthorp
09-30-2016, 11:37 PM
"……….it appeared that "photoshopped" was used to mean importing picture elements from elsewhere. This of course has always been true of photography."
Not just photography, painting also, leaving things out as well as importing others.

The Bigfella
10-01-2016, 05:12 AM
:d

http://content.paulreiffer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/take-it-dont-fake-it-milky-way-superimposed-trees-reflections-photoshop-creative-blending-not-photography-bad-art-cheating-false-photos-sunset-stars-moon.jpg

Tom Montgomery
10-01-2016, 05:54 AM
Photographers: Never use a filter on your lens,

Thank you from all of us who subscribe to unvarnished reality.

Paul Pless
10-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Photographers: Never use a filter on your lens,

Thank you from all of us who subscribe to unvarnished reality.Filters can often provide a more real image than an image taken without a filter. Of course they're also often used to manipulate a photo to provide greater dramatic effect.

Filters play a huge role in my photography, especially polarizers which give greater relief to clouds in the sky, clouds are often blown out otherwise giving a featureless grey sky, similarly red and orange filters make blacks blacker and whites whiter in B&W photgraphy, which is the whole premise of black and white photography. I also use ND filters to smooth the motion of water.

Further, photography has never been nor will it ever be 'real', there is and always has been some shift in color or texture that is due to film chemistry or the limitations of the sensor in the digital camera.

As an aside, the greatest limitation I have found to cell phone photography is the lack of capability to add an filter to the lens, especially a simple polarizer.

The Bigfella
10-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Filters can often provide a more real image than an image taken without a filter. Of course they're also often used to manipulate a photo to provide greater dramatic effect.

Filters play a huge role in my photography, especially polarizers which give greater relief to clouds in the sky, clouds are often blown out otherwise giving a featureless grey sky, similarly red and orange filters make blacks blacker and whites whiter in B&W photgraphy, which is the whole premise of black and white photography. I also use ND filters to smooth the motion of water.

Further, photography has never been nor will it ever be 'real', there is and always has been some shift in color or texture that is due to film chemistry or the limitations of the sensor in the digital camera.

As an aside, the greatest limitation I have found to cell phone photography is the lack of capability to add an filter to the lens, especially a simple polarizer.

Red filters can be fun