PDA

View Full Version : We are all one

David G
09-25-2016, 12:03 PM
It's the primary message from so many philosophers and religious leaders. Jesus said it. Buddha. Mohammed. The list is long. Our memory of the essential truth is altogether too short.

“The great German philosopher Schopenhauer, in a magnificent essay on 'The Foundation of Morality,' treats of this transcendental spiritual experience. How is it, he asks, that an individual can so forget himself and his own safety that he will put himself and his life in jeopardy to save another from death or pain—as though that other’s life were his own, that other’s danger his own? Such a one is then acting, Schopenhauer answers, out of an instinctive recognition of the truth that he and that other in fact are one. He has been moved not from the lesser, secondary knowledge of himself as separate from others, but from an immediate experience of the greater, truer truth, that we are all one in the ground of our being.

Schopenhauer’s name for this motivation is 'compassion,' Mitleid, and he identifies it as the one and only inspiration of inherently moral action. It is founded, in his view, in a metaphysically valid insight. For a moment one is selfless, boundless, without ego.”

Joseph Campbell, "Myths to Live By" (Copyright © 1972, 2011 Joseph Campbell Foundation)

skuthorp
09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Bit late for that, nasty species that we are. The experiment continues.

CWSmith
09-25-2016, 12:57 PM
This is a concept left behind by our American society.

Tom Montgomery
09-25-2016, 12:59 PM
^
Not entirely.

CWSmith
09-25-2016, 01:01 PM
^
Not entirely.

No, but by many.

Arizona Bay
09-25-2016, 04:52 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/19/4e/f9/194ef961c050bea911024327dbda5cf6.jpg

bobbys
09-25-2016, 04:56 PM
It's the primary message from so many philosophers and religious leaders. Jesus said it. Buddha. Mohammed. The list is long. Our memory of the essential truth is altogether too short.

“The great German philosopher Schopenhauer, in a magnificent essay on 'The Foundation of Morality,' treats of this transcendental spiritual experience. How is it, he asks, that an individual can so forget himself and his own safety that he will put himself and his life in jeopardy to save another from death or pain—as though that other’s life were his own, that other’s danger his own? Such a one is then acting, Schopenhauer answers, out of an instinctive recognition of the truth that he and that other in fact are one. He has been moved not from the lesser, secondary knowledge of himself as separate from others, but from an immediate experience of the greater, truer truth, that we are all one in the ground of our being.

Schopenhauer’s name for this motivation is 'compassion,' Mitleid, and he identifies it as the one and only inspiration of inherently moral action. It is founded, in his view, in a metaphysically valid insight. For a moment one is selfless, boundless, without ego.”

Joseph Campbell, "Myths to Live By" (Copyright © 1972, 2011 Joseph Campbell Foundation)

Interesting.

So what are Yer guidelines of morality?.

Posting others quotes on the Internet?

Tom Montgomery
09-25-2016, 05:03 PM
^
No. :rolleyes:

skuthorp
09-25-2016, 05:08 PM
Morality eh bobbys? Now there's a philosophical concept to get your teeth into.

bobbys
09-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Morality eh bobbys? Now there's a philosophical concept to get your teeth into..

Well I suppose I could pull some quotes and appear smug but it's ... Well ..... Crass.

CWSmith
09-25-2016, 05:40 PM
The concept is not that we are all one people, that is, all humans, but still individual persons, but rather that we are one organism, one entity. All of us, and all of it. all energy, all of the universe is one living, breathing, connected, thing.

Both interpretations are true and we can expect to grow more interconnected in the future. Our increasingly technical society demands it. We can isolate ourselves, but the dysfunction of that approach becomes increasingly clear.

Chip-skiff
09-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Do I want to be one with bobbys?

Sorry.

skuthorp
09-25-2016, 07:29 PM

Well I suppose I could pull some quotes and appear smug but it's ... Well ..... Crass.
Oh I'm sure a towering intellect like yours could enlighten the rest of us if you try bobbys.

Too Little Time
09-25-2016, 07:44 PM
I don't believe any of it. We all have different goals and aspirations. Those differences cause conflicts. Often there is no "fair" resolution to those conflicts.

bobbys
09-25-2016, 08:15 PM

Sorry..

Now that eye have to be a Vikings fan Im looking for a way out myself......

bobbys
09-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Oh I'm sure a towering intellect like yours could enlighten the rest of us if you try bobbys.

I could post some billy Shakesphere , add nothing, put anyone I don't agree with on ignore and " enlighten " the masses.

Waddie
09-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Since we're all one, I need some money. Please send me a private message for a post office box to send those checks to. I can cash large two party checks, so no worries, get them in the mail..... :)

I'd also appreciate an introduction to any good lookin' wimmen folks you all got, too. That's what I'm going to spend the money on, that and strong drink. The rest I'll probably just waste..... :)

regards,
Waddie

TomF
09-26-2016, 08:08 AM

Sorry."You can't always get what you want." (Jagger/Richards) :D

Jim Mahan
09-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Our true Self is oneness. It is also intangible, that one truth that we all know everyone has and that never changes as the body does, it is more real for being eternal.

The way to realize it is to not be the ego, to disavow the whole notion of separateness. And that is the genesis of compassion.

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Therein lies the peace of God."

David G
09-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Our true Self is oneness. It is also intangible, that one truth that we all know everyone has and that never changes as the body does, it is more real for being eternal.

The way to realize it is to not be the ego, to disavow the whole notion of separateness. And that is the genesis of compassion.

"Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Therein lies the peace of God."

Just so. Some of us are better at it than others. I regard it as an 'aspiration'.

Waddie
09-26-2016, 04:53 PM
Or maybe we're just a computer simulation........ :)

Neil deGrasse Tyson, director of the museum’s Hayden Planetarium, put the odds at 50-50 that our entire existence is a program on someone else’s hard drive. “I think the likelihood may be very high,” he said. He noted the gap between human and chimpanzee intelligence, despite the fact that we share more than 98 percent of our DNA. Somewhere out there could be a being whose intelligence is that much greater than our own. “We would be drooling, blithering idiots in their presence,” he said. “If that’s the case, it is easy for me to imagine that everything in our lives is just a creation of some other entity for their entertainment.”

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-we-living-in-a-computer-simulation/

regards,
Waddie

amish rob
09-26-2016, 05:00 PM
It seems I would have learned not to opine here, but I count amongst my flaws the inability to catch on...

It goes beyond merely us being one, I think.
To be sure, I think all people are the same people, everyone possessing, in some small part, at least, the components used to create all other souls, personalities, etc. Different proportions of the same mix, if you will...

More than that, though, all is one.

The same elements that form the materials we work with, form us. The same elements that form us, and all we see, form all that is.

The hydrogen in your body is the same as in water or in a star, after all, is it not? The copper in your boat the same as that in your own tissue, is it not?

Peace,
Robert

Norman Bernstein
09-26-2016, 05:08 PM

Interesting.

So what are Yer guidelines of morality?

The answer to that question was expounded upon in a movie... "A Fish Called Wanda", in which Jamie Lee Curtis explains to Kevin Kline,

"The central message of Buddhism was NOT 'every man for himself' " :):)

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Man......you guys are really getting deep here.
I feel like I didn't do my homework or something.:)

David G
09-26-2016, 05:33 PM

Myself - I blame that Tulsmanian Devil's influence...

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Funny how that never wears off eh?:)

Too Little Time
09-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Most people either don't do their homework or misunderstand the assignment.

Gerarddm
09-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Zen detachment, baby.

switters
09-30-2016, 09:56 AM
there is no spoon

Gerarddm
09-30-2016, 09:58 AM
" No man is an island, cut off from the main. ". - John Donne

bobbys
09-30-2016, 09:59 AM
The answer to that question was expounded upon in a movie... "A Fish Called Wanda", in which Jamie Lee Curtis explains to Kevin Kline,

"The central message of Buddhism was NOT 'every man for himself' " :):)

One of the few movies I doubled over laughing.

Dave Hadfield
09-30-2016, 10:06 AM
The nature of reproduction by DNA means we are all different.

And always have been.

PeterSibley
09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Since we're all one, I need some money. Please send me a private message for a post office box to send those checks to. I can cash large two party checks, so no worries, get them in the mail..... :)

I'd also appreciate an introduction to any good lookin' wimmen folks you all got, too. That's what I'm going to spend the money on, that and strong drink. The rest I'll probably just waste..... :)

regards,
Waddie

That's already happened, you've been allowed to remain in your tribe, not killed or robbed . Your tribe cooperates with you. You've won the game.