PDA

View Full Version : Installing toe rail brass strip question

pjwilletts
09-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I am considering installing a brass protection strip on the toe rail of my boat..The rail is highly varnished and quite nice, can the strip be installed on top of the varnish or is this a bad idea?

David G
09-21-2016, 10:37 PM
For why?

pcford
09-21-2016, 11:34 PM
I am considering installing a brass protection strip on the toe rail of my boat..The rail is highly varnished and quite nice, can the strip be installed on top of the varnish or is this a bad idea?

Of course.

Canoeyawl
09-21-2016, 11:38 PM
It is preferable to apply chafing gear on top of paint or varnish.

Bend and fit it perfectly before you drill and chamfer the holes.
I usefully make a drill fixture to get the holes exactly on center, if not if shows! Don't ask how I know this...

Wooden Boat Fittings
09-22-2016, 12:17 AM
Bend and fit it perfectly before you drill and chamfer the holes.
I usefully make a drill fixture to get the holes exactly on center, if not if shows! Don't ask how I know this...

Exactly. On both counts.

Mike

Jay Greer
09-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Assuming you are using pre-drilled quarter round, there is a vast selection of centering drills available for a job, such as yours, if you would prefer one that is ready made.
Jay
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hinge+centering+drill+bits&tag=googhydr-20&index=tools&hvadid=98014529221&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=933188034994943870&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033457&hvtargid=kwd-180922211558&ref=pd_sl_9cjm4iekbk_b

David G
09-22-2016, 12:38 PM
OP - is that correct, you're after chafe protection?

In terms of getting the holes centered on the strip - you can either predrill at the drill press with a fence or jig to locate the holes... or use a self-centering drilling jig --

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=doweling+jig&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Adoweling+jig
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51QfQ2aVsCL._SX425_.jpg
Yes, you can but brass, bronsze, ss, aluminum, etc. right on top of your varnished toe rail. But if you're not familiar with the concept of 'bedding'... look it up and use it assiduously.

pcford
09-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Application of brass rub strip:

Mark off spacing of fasteners. Be sure that any fastener holes are not on top of existing fasteners. With calipers, find middle of rub strip at marked intervals. Center punch. Set up drill press with guide for middle of strip. Drill out using appropriate size drill. I usually use #6 oval fasteners for 5/8 or 3/4 rub strip. Countersink. Be very careful when bending on strip as the holes weaken it. If there are any quick turns, prebend as was suggested. Bed the strip well.

CundysHarbor
09-22-2016, 03:52 PM
I did this except it was on the top of the cockpit coaming on the Ocean Pointer. It was a real pita when varnishing time rolled around and I was always afraid of water intrusion. After six years, I removed the half oval, filled holes and am very happy. I annealed the strip first. Be forewarned, it got soft but also went wonky.
Dave

Phil Y
09-22-2016, 05:11 PM
What Dave said. How to sand and varnish where the brass meets the wood. All those holes to let water trickle into the timber. Slightly convex top surface of toe rail, vs flat bottom of half round. You've got varnish to maintain, and you want to polish brass as well? All bad.