PDA

View Full Version : CNN disrespects the Constitution

Gerarddm
09-21-2016, 02:20 PM
And no, I am not talking abou the frigate.

The insinuation that a US citizen could be treated unconstitutionally is, in a word, monstrous. Whoever at CNN is responsible for that chiron should be fired at once. Miserable Creatures.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cnn-terror-suspect-due-process_us_57e2a438e4b08d73b82eaf33?section=&

CWSmith
09-21-2016, 02:25 PM
It seems unclear. Were they suggesting, or were they taking a poll? There is a difference.

Norman Bernstein
09-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Who said that first Drumph or CNN?

Not sure, but there's no question that Trump has advocated unconstitutional actions, in one way or another.

Ian McColgin
09-21-2016, 03:26 PM
The Huffington Post piece gets things very upsidedown. Read the CNN bit (http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/legal-requirements-terrorism-suspects-rahami/) and you'll see.

I think we'll see a clarification/walkback pretty soon.

Dan McCosh
09-21-2016, 03:32 PM
A question in a headline is hardly a statement of a position.

Norman Bernstein
09-21-2016, 03:42 PM
The Huffington Post piece gets things very upsidedown. Read the CNN bit (http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/legal-requirements-terrorism-suspects-rahami/) and you'll see.

I think we'll see a clarification/walkback pretty soon.

I don't see how the HuffPo piece was really 'wrong'. In order to treat this guy as an enemy combatant, they'd have to demonstrate that his act was NOT self-inspired... and so far, I've seen no evidence that the bombings were anything other than another case of self-radicalization. Short of a connection, this guy is still an American citizen, entitled to all due process rights.

If this were not the case, the government could wantonly accuse just about ANYONE of being an 'enemy combatant', based on their ideology.... which is decidedly not constitutional.

Ian McColgin
09-21-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't see how anyone finds that the CNN piece "disrespects" the Constitution. Quite the opposite, the piece shows that it's Trump's hateful and bluntly fascistic call that's anti-American and anti-constitutional.

The Huffington Post piece seems more confused as to what it's trying to say. It is right about constitutional rights and blithery about CNN.

genglandoh
09-21-2016, 04:09 PM
I think it is easy to say that all American citizens and legal residents should get due process.
I would even go as far as wanting anyone who is caught up in our legal system to be treated the same and have due process.
So illegals, visitors, people on visas etc, should all get due process.

The only group I would not put into our legal system are military combatants captured in foreign lands.
They should be under the military justice system like in WWII.

So if an ISIS member crosses the southern boarder and blows up a school of children I would want him to be put into our legal system and have due process.

RHAKCT
09-21-2016, 04:24 PM
I thought a question mark in a "headline" automatically was answered with a NO?