Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syed
    • Oct 2006

Back to square one

Afghanistan war a misadventure, probably.

"Hekmatyar has been accused of serious human rights abuses, notably during the 1990s civil war, when his forces were blamed for heavy bombardments of Kabul that killed thousands, but he has played little direct part in the insurgency in recent years.

However, after the repeated failure to start peace talks with the Taliban, the accord offers some hope that the Kabul government can persuade other militant groups to leave the battlefield and join a peaceful political process.
    The United States had welcomed signs of an agreement with Hezb-e-Islami and earlier this year, after the preliminary accord was signed, the State Department said it hoped a final agreement would help to end violence in Afghanistan.
    According to Afghan media, the agreement will grant Hekmatyar amnesty for past offences and the release of certain Hezb-i-Islami prisoners. The Kabul government also agreed to press for the lifting of international sanctions on Hekmatyar.
    But many, particularly among the supporters of President Ashraf Ghani's reluctant partner in government, Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, have had deep reservations about concluding an agreement with a Pashtun warlord of such prominence.
    Abdullah's mainly Tajik supporters have been alarmed by the prospect of a powerful Pashtun bloc upsetting the uneasy equilibrium that has held since the disputed 2014 election was resolved with the creation of a national unity government.
    Many activists have also been sharply critical of concluding an agreement with a leader who is accused of serious human rights abuses.
    Allied at various times with the anti-Soviet mujahideen, Pakistan, al Qaeda and the Taliban, Hekmatyar was included on the U.S. State Department's Specially Designated Global Terrorist list in 2003."

http://in.reuters.com/article/afghan...-idINKCN11R20H
  • Paul Pless
    pinko commie tree hugger
    • Oct 2003

Re: Back to square one

probably. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Syed
      Afghanistan war a misadventure, probably.
      The Taliban will be back in power within a year of the last US troops leaving.

We should have gone in under dark of night, gotten the SOB, and left, never putting more than 20 pair of boots on the ground.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Syed
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by CWSmith
        The Taliban will be back in power within a year of the last US troops leaving.

We should have gone in under dark of night, gotten the SOB, and left, never putting more than 20 pair of boots on the ground.
        That is what I believe.

Comment

• CWSmith
          New Hampshire
          • Nov 2008

I should add that seeing how women were being treated there, I did cheer a bit when we landed troops.

The problem is that we never had a chance of changing the place that way and it was up to our leaders to educate us on that sad fact.

To say the least, our leaders let us down.
          "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...