PDA

View Full Version : iMac - Laren

ron ll
09-21-2016, 10:20 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-in-talks-to-buy-mclaren-2016-9

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--srSTXEZ7--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/m7yzg0ctkcedgayblend.jpg

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 10:25 AM
they've got to spend all that money on something
as good a choice as any :D
i mean if you had the money would you look askance at macleran?

John of Phoenix
09-21-2016, 10:50 AM
WHAT THE HELL does Apple know about running a money losing, foreign based, race car company? "Somebody" needs to find a different solution to his midlife crisis

These mergers of oil and water generally work poorly for both companies.

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 10:59 AM
WHAT THE HELL does Apple know about running a money losing, foreign based, race car company? "Somebody" needs to find a different solution to his midlife crisis

These mergers of oil and water generally work poorly for both companies.

tech companies are looking at auto companies for the development of self driving vehicles
maclaren offers some access to some very highly technically oriented people throughout the industry
that would be a positive for them

The negative would be that there are probably companies better suited then Maclaren to do so.
Self driving vehicle study is huge in Detroit and Ann Arbor from all the big auto manufactures and literally hundreds of tier one and tier two suppliers
When I say all, I mean all. All of the worlds car manufacturers are here in Detroit in a big way. Honda and Hyundai just built two large campuses within twenty miles of me. Toyota as well. Nissan/Renault. Mercedes is here. Fiat of course.

Detroit employs more software engineers and programmers than Silicon Valley and is looking to double its employment of developers in the next ten years. . .

John of Phoenix
09-21-2016, 11:34 AM
A self-driving Formula 1 car... yeah, I can see great possibilities. :D
----------

The negative would be that there are probably companies better suited then Maclaren to do so.Exactly. And a partnership makes more sense - the merger of two disparate industries seldom works well.

The acquiring management is on the steep side of the learning curve of the target company and devotes an inordinate amount of time to the acquisition to the detriment of theirs.

Management and employees of the acquired company are nervous. "Should I be looking for a job?" "These turkeys don't know squat about this industry! I'm outa here."

Oil & Water.

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Obviously I think the tech companies are on the outside looking in wrt to autonomous vehicles
GM, Ford, Toyota, and Audi will get there long before does Microsoft, Apple, or Google.

John of Phoenix
09-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Obviously I think the tech companies are on the outside looking in wrt to autonomous vehicles
GM, Ford, Toyota, and Audi will get there long before does Microsoft, Apple, or Google.Precisely on all points, though I'm ambivalent about autonomous cars.

Gerarddm
09-21-2016, 01:07 PM
There was a rumor they were interested in Tesla.

Hugh Conway
09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
WHAT THE HELL does Apple know about running a money losing, foreign based, race car company?

there's well more to McLaren group than racing - road cars, technology development, consulting, and some other bits. They'd provide car knowhow which Silicon Valley needs. It might be as simple as acquiring talent and knowledge, not the actual company; Apple's done that a bit. There aren't that many more car company's out there - but ultimately I expect Apple to partner with one for the final product.

And Eddy Cue - Apple SVP - knows a fair bit about a money losing, foreign based, race car company. He's on the Ferrari BOD ;)

Dan McCosh
09-21-2016, 03:01 PM
FWIW, McLaren is basically a contract engineering group, mainly working on engines. Much like Porsche, Lotus, AVL, etc., all of which do work for many auto companies.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't Morgan be a better match.

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't Morgan be a better match.

style over substance?
always in need of funding??

Dan McCosh
09-21-2016, 03:51 PM
FWIW: McLaren is denying the rumor.

Lew Barrett
09-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Precisely on all points, though I'm ambivalent about autonomous cars.

I don't think I will like them. Too many unanswered questions.

Hugh Conway
09-21-2016, 04:44 PM
FWIW: McLaren is denying the rumor.

that's as non-denial a denial as there can be.

John Meachen
09-21-2016, 04:50 PM
There were rumours several years ago that a McLaren had been driving around Silverstone unmanned.This was in the era when active systems and a whole lot more hadn't been banned from competition.The story was denied by official sources.It must be a great deal easier to achieve on a circuit where there is no traffic at all,much less cars coming the other way.

The range of technologies the group is involved in is quite surprising.Among other things,they use their experience of choreographing fast pit stops to advise hospitals on efficiently getting emergency patients treated faster.They also make the standard electronic control box for all Formula One teams in association with Microsoft and they are the provider of the control module used in NASCAR fuel injection systems.I believe the total workforce now is in excess of 3300 and they are based in a building that would pass for a villains lair in a James Bond film.

Dan McCosh
09-22-2016, 07:36 AM
that's as non-denial a denial as there can be. If you don't believe them, who do you believe?

Hugh Conway
09-22-2016, 08:04 AM
If you don't believe them, who do you believe?

I believe what they said, not what you think they said they said

Dan McCosh
09-22-2016, 09:34 AM
I believe what they said, not what you think they said they said I was repeating the statement of a McLaren spokesman. You may have better information.