PDA

View Full Version : Betteridge's Law

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Go on Google it.

The twitter account is a gem.

Norman Bernstein
09-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Evidently, genglandoh isn't aware of it :)

TomF
09-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Will this make some forumites less apt to launch silly threads?

Canoez
09-21-2016, 08:52 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"
Betteridge's law of headlines
Betteridge's law of headlines states that headlines that end with a question mark (http://www.conservapedia.com/Question_mark) can be safely answered "no".[1] (http://www.conservapedia.com/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines#cite_note-1) "

link. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines)

TomF
09-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Does a passing familiarity with facts inoculate you against paranoia?

TomF
09-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Do you think that might be the case?do pigs fly?

WoodyHuscarl
09-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Does Stazzer-Newt think Betteridge is right? Does he know something we don't?

WoodyHuscarl
09-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Did the Ligneoushouseservant Google as suggested?

Y>Y>Y>

Best. Translation. Ever.

And no, he did not. :(

WoodyHuscarl
09-21-2016, 09:25 AM
Indeed.

A better question would have been: Is Betteridge's Law valid? :confused:

BTW Woody is a nickname shared by nearly all the males in my family, Huscarl is because I was a professional soldier for a long time. (I also really like the history of AS England)

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Do the examples on this forum indicate that Betterige's Law is invalid?nope

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 09:44 AM
:D ...

David G
09-21-2016, 10:00 AM
So... it seems Betteridge would agree with me about the judicious use of the Ignore List. And agree with JoP about wasting electrons.

isla
09-21-2016, 10:06 AM
The best bit in the Wiki article posted by Nick is..

A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic.

I suggest that every future Geng post of this kind be responded to by everybody posting NO.They don't like it up 'em :D

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 10:09 AM
I suggest that every future Geng post of this kind be responded to by everybody posting NO.They don't like it up 'em :D

i wonder how many of us reached a simultaneous conclusion upon reading the article

David G
09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
Good strategy. Only problem is - every time someone replies 'no', it brings the thread to the top again. Ignore... formal or informal... would allow it to sink into the briny depths to be gnowed on by crabs and nudibranchs... the fate his 'contributions' actually deserve.

ljb5
09-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Do I get credit for bringing this to the forum's attention (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?212242-Does-Senator-Warren-secretly-want-Trump-to-win&p=5008781#post5008781)?

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 11:01 AM
nope :D

WoodyHuscarl
09-21-2016, 11:01 AM
No.

Canoeyawl
09-21-2016, 11:03 AM
do pigs fly?

Of course, and emotional support pigs fly for free.

https://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/pigs-fly.jpg

paulf
09-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Just to add, just before the question mark, you must place a sweeping generalization that points out a negative aspect of your political adversary.

genglandoh
09-21-2016, 11:10 AM
There are 2 reasons why you might answer a question with a no.
1. You have considered the question and no is your answer.
2. You are using Betteridge's law to coup out and not answer the question.

The way you can tell the difference is if the person answers no with an explanation.
You know have a conversation about the topic, this is something many on this forum are afraid to do.

paulf
09-21-2016, 11:17 AM

The way you can tell the difference is if the person answers no with an explanation.
You know have a conversation about the topic, this is something many on this forum are afraid to do.

Most, if not all sweeping generalizations are answered "no". For example are all of your posts ridiclous , answer, no, not all of them.

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 11:18 AM

fart

genglandoh
09-21-2016, 11:31 AM
fart

Another good example of not wanting to have a conversation about the topic.

Canoeyawl
09-21-2016, 11:39 AM
When the "questions" are statements any answer is just silly, and in fact if a question leads with "Do you think" it is not worth reading any further.

When you ask your dog "Do you think we should go for a walk?" You will get the exact same response as "Do you think we should not go for a walk?"

genglandoh
09-21-2016, 11:42 AM
When the "questions" are statements any answer is just silly, and in fact if a question leads with "Do you think" it is not worth reading any further.

When you ask your dog "Do you think we should go for a walk?" You will get the exact same response as "Do you think we should not go for a walk?"

Please stop calling the Dems on this forum dogs, it is insulting to dogs.

David G
09-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Do I get credit for bringing this to the forum's attention (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?212242-Does-Senator-Warren-secretly-want-Trump-to-win&p=5008781#post5008781)?

Aye... NO credit for the likes of you! And no rum neither!!

Paul Pless
09-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Another good example of not wanting to have a conversation about the topic.whatever

ljb5
09-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Another good example of not wanting to have a conversation about the topic.

Geng, the real issue here, which everyone, except you, seems to have recognized, is not whether people are interested in discussing the topic, but rather that you insist on presenting your assertions as if they were questions.

Quite often, we do go on to have interesting and fact-filled discussions of topics. More often than not, you are absent from this portion of the discussion because it quickly becomes apparent that the facts on hand do not veer towards the conclusion you wish to arrive at.

And, of course, we knew from the start that the facts aren't going to support your conclusion, because if they had, you wouldn't have phrased it as a question in the first place.

So, if you're really interested in having a conversation about the topic, start by stating what you believe based on the facts, not speculating on what you think you might be able to get away with.

And then stick around and participate in the discussion.

You might learn something.

paulf
09-21-2016, 12:06 PM
"Please stop calling the Dems on this forum dogs, it is insulting to dogs." This is why he is really here, not to discuss, but to troll.

TomF
09-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Got a link for that :D:D :D

Canoez
09-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Is there a certain forum member who will learn anything from this thread?

(:d)

David G
09-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Is there a certain forum member who will learn anything from this thread?

(:d)

Are there forum members who are incapable of learning anything?

genglandoh
09-21-2016, 01:01 PM
"Please stop calling the Dems on this forum dogs, it is insulting to dogs." This is why he is really here, not to discuss, but to troll.

I was just making a little joke.
Normally I do not joke or tease people about their posts.

Can you show us all a thread where I did not discuss the topic?

Canoeyawl
09-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Please stop calling the Dems on this forum dogs, it is insulting to dogs.

Dogs are far too intelligent to be insulted with a simple question.

Are you are saying "Democrats are like Skittles"?