PDA

View Full Version : Serious long haul hell

epoxyboy
09-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Almost half way into a fourteen hour Auckland to Houston flight, we get told that the plane is diverting back to Papeete to drop off seriously ill passenger. Three hours later, we are back to where we were
Total flight time, 17 hours. I have spent most of today getting to Philly, via Chicago. Now waiting for our guy to arrive. I am so over airports right now.

Pete

Paul Pless
09-18-2016, 03:21 PM
Ouch.

I just left. . .

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/PaulPless/20160917_151233_zpsblxgna9j.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/PaulPless/media/20160917_151233_zpsblxgna9j.jpg.html)

Headed for Hell.

John B
09-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Much better than that place PMJ found recently.

JamesCaird
09-18-2016, 06:11 PM
I just did that same flight last month and then onward to Boston. Since I was finishing up a project I think that in a case like your own I would have taken ill on final to Papeete and been forced to deplane and remain over until recovered....

Stiletto
09-18-2016, 07:43 PM
You were on the same flight as the PM, did you manage to get a selfie with him?

Breakaway
09-18-2016, 08:31 PM
I feel your pain.

Kevin

epoxyboy
09-18-2016, 09:04 PM
You were on the same flight as the PM, did you manage to get a selfie with him?Ahhhh, yeahhh, hysterical laughter. Some of do this "cattle class". And some of us go first class on the taxpayer - I'm not one of those :-)
To be honest, I only found out he had been on the flight after the fact.
I do have some constructive feedback for how Air New Zealand, about how they could have managed the resulting fustercluck much more effectively at the Houston end, at zero cost, and far less stress.
Once you found the right two people to talk to, individually they were brilliant, re-ticketing and sorting out hotels for the night - and that was part of the problem. ANZ could authorise the hotel, but not re-ticket you. United could re-ticket you, bit not....you get the picture. And all they needed to do was have a rep trolling up and down the never ending queue calling for people off the flight, and passing that info on.
The trouble was you could queue for half an hour, only to find out you were in completely the wrong queue. That, and getting told by ANZ that they only needed my name to pass on to the hotel after queuing again, and they weren't issuing vouchers. After a loooong day, that got my back up.
Anyway, that is all behind us.

Pete

BrianW
09-18-2016, 09:56 PM
Had a similar problem out of Atlanta, headed to Dubai. We were only two hours out though, so two hours back to Atlanta, after midnight, nothing open in the airport, then start over a couple hours later. Ugh.

CK 17
09-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Medical emergencies suck. Aircraft are pretty well equipped. We have acces to great advice. Most times there are some medical personal traveling. However, if it's serious enough, the jet gets diverted, even for dead people.

So far I've been lucky, only had to divert once. The real frustration comes from the self induced medical problem such not taking meds, or taking too many, or mixing with alcohol etc. they all get the same priority.