PDA

View Full Version : What am I in for?

Jim Bow
09-18-2016, 09:58 AM
I just agreed to fly to Denver and help my son drive from there to Tacoma.
First off, I'm taking Frontier Airlines from SEA to DEN. Ticket cost $24.00, plus taxes and something called "airline fees", $31.00; plus $9.00 for an aisle seat. Lately, I've gotten used to Delta and Alaska, so Frontier will be an eyeopener.
Then, after a hotel night, he wants to drive 20 hours, in shifts, sleeping in his minivan.
Why, you may ask? After all, his wife's new employer offered to ship the car, but they have an English bulldog. Bulldogs, evidently, are prone to die on airplanes.
Their vet said it's too dangerous.

What have I gotten myself into?

jack grebe
09-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Wife just flew that airline last week.

Figure on another charge for your checked baggage, if paid in
advance, hers was only $25. Also, very cramped seating.
expect a very full plane, to the point of over booked.

frontier has one of the worst customer ratings in the business.

Paul Pless
09-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Be prepared for lots of slobber. :D

Jim Bow
09-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Wife just flew that airline last week.

Figure on another charge for your checked baggage, if paid in
advance, hers was only $25. Also, very cramped seating.
expect a very full plane, to the point of over booked.

frontier has one of the worst customer ratings in the business.
They wanted $30.00 for a carry on bag!. I'll have a small messenger bag for hnder seat.

David G
09-18-2016, 10:22 AM
You really should have asked that question BEFORE you had kids, eh? <G>

amish rob
09-18-2016, 10:31 AM
It sounds like you're in for a terrible 48 hours and a terrific tale to tell...:)

Peace,
Robert

paulf
09-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Look on the bright side, you may have a great conversation with your son.

paulf
09-18-2016, 11:00 AM
The seats don't recline on Frontier's Airbus to Denver run and the padding is skimpy. Water is the only item offered without charge. You want a handful of pretzels you pay. The aircraft on the PDX to DEN run looked kinda scruffy too. But the fare is cheap and it's only 2 1/2 hours. Take some food with you to go with your free water.

That's what Bloody Mary's are for! Lets see 2 1/2 hours, 5 ought to do it.

Too Little Time
09-18-2016, 11:15 AM
First off, I'm taking Frontier Airlines from SEA to DEN. Ticket cost $24.00, plus taxes and something called "airline fees", $31.00; plus $9.00 for an aisle seat. Lately, I've gotten used to Delta and Alaska, so Frontier will be an eyeopener.
Then, after a hotel night, he wants to drive 20 hours, in shifts, sleeping in his minivan.
Why, you may ask? After all, his wife's new employer offered to ship the car, but they have an English bulldog. Bulldogs, evidently, are prone to die on airplanes.

While I like my kids and have done stupid things like that, there are better ways.

It is a 2 day drive for your son without any assistance from you. Yet, you are willing to do 2 days of airplane time and a long uncomfortable drive.

Try to be nice to everyone.

Jim Bow
09-18-2016, 11:47 AM
I just convinced him to spend a night in Boise.

CWSmith
09-18-2016, 01:58 PM
A 20 hour drive sleeping in shifts is for a younger man than me. The bull dog will do fine in the car for 2 days. Drive 10 hours, get a good dinner and sleep, then drive another 10 hours. It will be more fun and safer.

BrianW
09-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Google says to take I80 (after drving north from Denver) to Salt Lake City, then northwest on I84 the rest of the way. Fairly boring drive. Be careful after dark, lots of antelope and deer on the highways along that stretch.

Personally I'd drive north through Wyoming and catch I90 west. Bit more interesting.

Bob Adams
09-18-2016, 03:39 PM
When it comes to airlines, you get what you pay for. There are several I avoid, but I won't name names so as not to offend one of our forum brothers.;)

CWSmith
09-18-2016, 04:06 PM
I'll avoid the negative list, but two good ones are Southwest Air and Jet Blue. The latter has better leg room, but it nickles and dimes you a bit.

One complaint against most (not SWA) - charging for checked bags encourages carry on which is exactly wrong.

BrianW
09-18-2016, 04:35 PM
One complaint against most (not SWA) - charging for checked bags encourages carry on which is exactly wrong.

I can't recall ever paying for a checked bag, and I've flown a lot of domestic flights the past couple years.

Most airlines have some sort of system which eliminates checked bag fees. Alaska Air has it's '49er club' for Alaska residents which allows for 2 free bags anywhere Alaska Air flies, 3 free bags inside Alaska. Kinda weird, considering they are a Washington State based airlines.

If you have a Delta American Express card, bags are free. I think the annual fee for the card is $75, so it's not really free, but if you fly a lot it's a good deal.

American Airlines honors Alaska Airlines frequent flier program and I was not charged for bags by them.

Haven't flown with any other carriers lately. These days I rate those three airlines in this order...

Delta
American
Alaska

I've gotten a free upgrade on a Delta flight almost every time, and I'm only at the silver level with them. Even though I'm Gold with Alaska, I didn't receive any upgrades last time I flew with them.

Kevin T
09-18-2016, 04:50 PM
It will be a great trip and when you're long gone, your son will look on the time spent together as a wonderful gift. You should view it the same way.:d

Garret
09-18-2016, 04:56 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago I got a text saying "Up for a road trip?". Late 20's gal didn't want to do the drive alone (especially in a 170K mile Audi 90...).

I hopped a plane from BTV to Denver, walked out of the terminal, got into the car & 30 hours later we were back in Vermont. We had a great time & I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW, the Audi never skipped a beat the whole way!

The Bigfella
09-18-2016, 05:04 PM

I just did the airline thing with my son's dog... a Labrador. I noticed in the info, that they warn about some breeds, snub-nosed ones IIRC... and there's one breed where they require a special cage - apparently they are renowned for chewing their way out.

I sure felt sorry for him as he set off for Colorado from Sydney

https://photos.smugmug.com/Randoms-3/i-RqfjW7D/0/X3/jetincage-X3.jpg

In the end, he was in the cage for near on 20 hours - followed by a 12 hour drive to Colorado... but he was fine.

Enjoy your road trip though....