PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why Trump won't release his tax returns

Norman Bernstein
09-12-2016, 07:41 AM
For a guy who claims to be worth $11B, it's becoming clear that Trump is a miser when it comes to charity... and a sleazeball, to boot.

Say what you will about the Clinton's, but both of them could have just become rich on book royalties and paid speeches alone; they didn't need to create a huge charitable foundation which, from all reports, operates with a high standard of ethics, high efficiency, and has done a great deal of good in this world.

What has Trump done? Apparently, VERY little.

Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-donald-trump-retooled-his-charity-to-spend-other-peoples-money/2016/09/10/da8cce64-75df-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html): “The Donald J. Trump Foundation is not like other charities. An investigation of the foundation — including examinations of 17 years of tax filings and interviews with more than 200 individuals or groups listed as donors or beneficiaries — found that it collects and spends money in a very unusual manner. For one thing, nearly all of its money comes from people other than Trump. In tax records, the last gift from Trump was in 2008. Since then, all of the donations have been other people’s money — an arrangement that experts say is almost unheard of for a family foundation. Trump then takes that money and generally does with it as he pleases. In many cases, he passes it on to other charities, which often are under the impression that it is Trump’s own money. In two cases, he has used money from his charity to buy himself a gift. In one of those cases — not previously reported — Trump spent $20,000 of money earmarked for charitable purposes to buy a six-foot-tall painting of himself. Money from the Trump Foundation has also been used for political purposes, which is against the law.”

His tax returns would show whether Trump has been charitable, at all, over the past 8 years.

Rich Jones
09-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Which is one of the reasons we'll never see those tax returns.

RonW
09-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Who cares ..

I'm still voting for Trump just like you lefties are voting for Hillary.....

Hey did you hear about the DNC calling an emergency meeting to discuss replacing Hillary ?

Donald Trump is releasing his medical exam and going to push for hillary to be release medical records, now what?

Kevin T
09-12-2016, 09:08 AM
His tax returns would expose him for the true person he is, and that would be devastating in the eyes of many Americans who do have genuine feelings of compassion towards others less fortunate. My guess is that Trumps returns would show little evidence of compassion nor empathy where charity is concerned.

Of course to his base they'd spin it as 'what a great businessman he is.'

Norman Bernstein
09-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Who cares ..

Only those among us who want to know what kind of person Trump actually is.

Hey did you hear about the DNC calling an emergency meeting to discuss replacing Hillary ?

No, and neither did you.

Donald Trump is releasing his medical exam and going to push for hillary to be release medical records, now what?

Hillary already released a detailed summary of her health status. Donald Trump released a four paragraph campaign fantasy providing NO information about his health. If you think that a 70 year old guy who is obese and eats junk food is 'the healthiest man to ever run for President', then I've got some swampland in NJ to sell you.

RonW
09-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Kevin T
Of course to his base they'd spin it as 'what a great businessman he is.'

competency counts.........

Norman -
Hillary already released a detailed summary of her health status. Donald Trump released a four paragraph campaign fantasy providing NO information about his health. If you think that a 70 year old guy who is obese and eats junk food is 'the healthiest man to ever run for President', then I've got some swampland in NJ to sell you.

That doesn't cut it norm, Hillary will be forced to either have a physical with observers for accuracy ( such as dr. Carson ) or she will have to refuse which I suspect she will have no other choice then to do to cover up her actual physical problems..

--
Left-Wing Reporter: Democrats Considering Meeting to Discuss Replacing Hillary Clinton on Ticket

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/09/11/report-dems-consider-replace-hillary-clinton/

David Shuster ✔ @DavidShuster
Clarification from dem operatives @HillaryClinton pneumonia: Expect emergency DNC meeting to CONSIDER replacement. #HillarysHealth
3:08 PM - 11 Sep 2016

Too Little Time
09-12-2016, 09:26 AM
As I said in a prior thread on Trump and charities, this is the way all charities work.

If you give to the Bill and Melinda Gates charity they spend your money and take credit for it. The Clinton's charity works the same way. The Red Cross does the same.

There are a number of local charities that I give to. I don't get any public credit. But frequently the big guy behind the charity gets recognition - in part for my donation.

Norman Bernstein
09-12-2016, 09:26 AM
That doesn't cut it norm, Hillary will be forced to either have a physical with observers for accuracy ( such as dr. Carson ) or she will have to refuse which I suspect she will have no other choice then to do to cover up her actual physical problems..

Hahahahaha!!! And you actually think that Trump would agree to the same thing? Or do you think that he doesn't have to prove his health, but Hillary does? You're so far over the edge, the plunge is gonna hurt!

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/09/11/report-dems-consider-replace-hillary-clinton/

Yeah, nothing like Breitbart for reliable, unbiased, and accurate reporting :):):)

Gerarddm
09-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Drumpf will not release his tax returns because it will prove that he is not as wealthy as he claims, and that he is a cheap SOB when it comes to charities. It may also uncover that he is in hock to unsavory types.

RonW
09-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Hahahahaha!!! And you actually think that Trump would agree to the same thing? Or do you think that he doesn't have to prove his health, but Hillary does? You're so far over the edge, the plunge is gonna hurt!

Yeah, nothing like Breitbart for reliable, unbiased, and accurate reporting :):):)

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump says he recently took a medical physical exam, and promises to release details to the public.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/09/12/donald-trump-will-release-results-medical-physical/

Cokie Roberts: Dems ‘Nervously Beginning to Whisper’ About Hillary Replacement; Floats Biden as Possibility

Monday on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” ABC political commentator Cokie Roberts offered her thoughts on the apparent health issues regarding Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and the how the party could be looking to handle things if a replacement is needed for Clinton.

According to Roberts, there was already conversation within the party about such a possibility.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/09/12/cokie-roberts-dems-nervously-beginning-to-whisper-about-hillary-replacement-floats-biden-as-possibility/

Norman Bernstein
09-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Monday on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” ABC political commentator Cokie Roberts offered her thoughts on the apparent health issues regarding Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and the how the party could be looking to handle things if a replacement is needed for Clinton.

Any competently run political party would, of course, consider contingency plans for the unlikely event that a candidate would fall ill and have to drop out of the race.

Your implication that the DNC is doing this only because of Hillary's walking pneumonia is simply false... they'd have considered the possibility even if she were a triathlon winner. It's called contingency planning... and the RNC does it, as well.

The reason you're hearing about it now is because of Hillary's illness... not because the parties don't talk about contingencies.

Lew Barrett
09-12-2016, 09:53 AM
As I said in a prior thread on Trump and charities, this is the way all charities work.

If you give to the Bill and Melinda Gates charity they spend your money and take credit for it. The Clinton's charity works the same way. The Red Cross does the same.

There are a number of local charities that I give to. I don't get any public credit. But frequently the big guy behind the charity gets recognition - in part for my donation.

Who cares? Do you give to get public credit for your largess or because you are moved to do some good for a cause you believe in?
I don't want to be recognized by anybody when I donate. I don't want the hat, the bumper sticker, the T shirt or anything but the knowledge that some good may have been done by the people I am supporting with my donation.

RonW
09-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Norman Bernstein says -
The reason you're hearing about it now is because of Hillary's illness... not because the parties don't talk about contingencies.

Yep Hillary's health has now become the major point, and she will have to prove she is capable to continue, but it isn't looking good.

And no cares about trump's tax returns with this latest hillary falling ..

http://hw.infowars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/hill-stairs1.jpg

the_gr8t_waldo
09-12-2016, 10:11 AM
I damn well care! And am still waiting. Let's see if the man measures up to his own hype.

TomF
09-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Clinton's health ... "Who cares?" ;)

I wouldn't rely too heavily on Breitbart for unbiased news reporting, Ron. Remind me again who Trump recently hired to be at the top of his circle of campaign people.

TomF
09-12-2016, 12:09 PM
snort. :D I think Putin has better taste.

Osborne Russell
09-12-2016, 02:00 PM
" Money from the Trump Foundation has also been used for political purposes, which is against the law.”

No it isn't. It's what Citizens United and thousands of other associations do. Using it "in political campaigns" may be against the law. The Trump Foundation may have made a mistake in giving money to Florida AG Pamela Bondi, but if so, it's easily avoided next time, by running the money through a bunch of front associations, as they frequently do. IOW money laundering.

Sounds like politics to me:

Citizens United is known for its support of conservatives in politics. The group produced a television advertisement that reveals several legislative actions taken by John McCain, which aired on Fox News Channel.[5] On October 2, 2006, in reaction to revelations of a cover-up of inappropriate communications between Republican Congressman Mark Foley and teenage pages, Citizens United president David Bossie called on Dennis Hastert to resign over his role in covering up the scandal.

-- wikipedia, Citizens United

The political campaign prohibition covers about 10 per cent of the power of these outfits. They do just as much politics as they can afford. That's why the tax deduction for contributions to them, and the exemption from tax on their income, should be immediately and totally abolished. Them laundering their own money is bad enough.

Michael D. Storey
09-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-donald-trump-retooled-his-charity-to-spend-other-peoples-money/2016/09/10/da8cce64-75df-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html): “The Donald J. Trump Foundation is not like other charities. An investigation of the foundation — including examinations of 17 years of tax filings and interviews with more than 200 individuals or groups listed as donors or beneficiaries — found that it collects and spends money in a very unusual manner. For one thing, nearly all of its money comes from people other than Trump. In tax records, the last gift from Trump was in 2008. Since then, all of the donations have been other people’s money — an arrangement that experts say is almost unheard of for a family foundation. Trump then takes that money and generally does with it as he pleases. In many cases, he passes it on to other charities, which often are under the impression that it is Trump’s own money. In two cases, he has used money from his charity to buy himself a gift. In one of those cases — not previously reported — Trump spent $20,000 of money earmarked for charitable purposes to buy a six-foot-tall painting of himself. Money from the Trump Foundation has also been used for political purposes, which is against the law.”
Is this a family foundation? Do other Trumps donate? It is my understanding that Henry Ford, John Rockefeller and Alfred P. Sloan are dead. Their foundations all seems to be rockin it, however. In truth, foundations may legally be infused with funds on a regular basis, or survive through a program of giving away less that what they take in from distributions on holdings. Foundations do break the law regarding how they spend, sometimes, some of them do. Many get away with it. However, a person whom after a foundation is named does not have to, and truly, in many cases, does not, continue to underwrite the foundation.
Sure he's a jerk, and he has collected a big bucket of desperadoes, but not continuing to fund the foundation named after himself is not one of his crimes.

Tom Montgomery
09-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Who cares ..
And there you are ladies and gentleman. An unashamed Trump supporter who would vote for the man even if he stood in the middle of 5th Avenue and shot somebody.

Osborne Russell
09-13-2016, 12:21 PM
In the Red Mind . . .

The Clinton Foundation proves Hillary's corruption by its mere existence.

The Trump Foundation proves Donald's charity by its mere existence.